Solved script.watchlist errors... among others
Information 
All,

[Up front: I have searched and searched the forums... read read and read for a solution... but can't find one.]

I am relatively new to XBMC, however, I am loving the program so far. There have been issues... and some are more anoying than others.

First, I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and the repository xbmc (Eden, 11.0). I am using the Xeebo skin and had recently fount the watchlist enabled home page for next episodes. I loved that. I was rocking along quite well with my system. Finally got the finicky remote reprogrammed to work with Ubuntu and XBMC. Then, the other day, I read a post about other XBMC repositories.... that is where the problems began.

I installed other repositories and several addons. Most were service oriented (ie: Hulu, Fox, etc...). During this process, I started to have error messages appear. Failure for certain scripts to run. Most obvious is the script.watchlist failure which always shows when I go to my main page of Xeebo. I thin disabled a lot of plugins. Nearly all of the new ones (except Free Cable, Hulu, etc...). That did not work. I also removed repositories that I had nothing installed from -- also to no solution. I also did some searches online to find solutions.

The searches did not yield a solution for me. I still received the error messages for script.watchlist and quite a few other plugins were failing for streaming services. It did show that others had issues similar to mine or exactly like mine and no one appeared to find a solution that I read.

Excerpt from xbmc.log:
Code:
22:52:05 T:3014707904  NOTICE: Starting XBMC (11.0 Git:Unknown), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, 3.2.0-35-generic-pae i686). Built on Apr 24 2012

Code:
22:52:14 T:3014707904   ERROR: XLCDproc::Connect - Unable to connect to host, LCDd not running?
22:52:14 T:3014707904   ERROR: XLCDproc::Initialize - Connect failed. Retry in 8 seconds.
22:52:15 T:2910845760   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
22:52:15 T:2910845760   ERROR: Error Contents: 'module' object has no attribute 'loads'
22:52:15 T:2910845760   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.tv.show.next.aired/default.py", line 452, in <module>
                                                NextAired()
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.tv.show.next.aired/default.py", line 98, in __init__
                                                self.update_data()
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.tv.show.next.aired/default.py", line 142, in update_data
                                                self.scan_info()
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.tv.show.next.aired/default.py", line 171, in scan_info
                                                if not self.listing():
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.tv.show.next.aired/default.py", line 206, in listing
                                                json_response = simplejson.loads(json_query)
                                            AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'loads'
22:52:17 T:2894060352   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
22:52:17 T:2894060352   ERROR: Error Contents: 'module' object has no attribute 'loads'

Code:
22:52:18 T:2894060352   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.watchlist/default.py", line 592, in <module>
                                                Main()
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.watchlist/default.py", line 33, in __init__
                                                self._fetch_info()
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.watchlist/default.py", line 56, in _fetch_info
                                                self._fetch_movies()
                                              File "/home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.watchlist/default.py", line 78, in _fetch_movies
                                                json_response = simplejson.loads(json_query)
                                            AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'loads'

Also, a lot of script.video plugins fail.

I have also "reinstalled" XBMC from repository. I have tried replacing the librtmp.so.0 with one I found posted online (swithced back to repository installed version when that didn't work). I have ensured that I do not have XBMC 12 version of script.

My bottom line questions:

a. How do I fix this issue? It doesn't look as if the source of the problem is just the script.watchlist addon because other things are broke and have same source (simplejson / json). It is possible that a plugin changed something fundamental that resulted in my ystem being broke... I do not know where to look at this point.

b. If I can't fix the issue, what happens if I delete the .xbmc folder (actually move to alternate name)? If I do that, can I move it back to original name to restore my current DB and settings? In linux, doing this is results in restoration to "first run" therefore I think this is a possibility of means to get back to default.

c. Is there some kind of repository versioning to ensure that one doesn't get files for other versions that won't work in my version of xbmc? How do I know which addons are for my version? Until it appeared like a plugin can fundamentally break my system, I figured it was "try and uninstall if doesn't work".

I greatly appreciate ideas and suggestions.

Respectfully,
ARMC

could you open a terminal in your $HOME dir and run:
Code:
ls -laR |grep .json.py
let me know if it finds anything
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Hey Ronie,

Thanks for the FAST reply.

Results:

Code:
arick@ubuntu-htpc:~$ ls -laR | grep .json.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 87946 Jan 10 22:34 demjson.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 77103 Jan 10 23:16 demjson.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 87946 Jan 10 22:32 demjson.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 75327 Jan 11 02:23 demjson.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 10236 Jan 11 13:00 json.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 11852 Jan 11 13:12 json.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 arick arick 10269 Jan 11 13:00 minjson.py

ok, could you paste the output of this one as well:
Code:
find . |grep json.py
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Here it is Ronie:
Code:
arick@ubuntu-htpc:~$ find . |grep json.py
./.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.free.cable/resources/lib/demjson.py
./.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.free.cable/resources/lib/demjson.pyc
./.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/lib/minjson.py
./.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/lib/json.pyc
./.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/lib/json.py
./.xbmc/addons/script.module.demjson/lib/demjson.py
./.xbmc/addons/script.module.demjson/lib/demjson.pyc

This is all in my home directory. Do you need it for the system also?

Just in case... this is what it turned up for my system:

Code:
arick@ubuntu-htpc:/$ sudo find . |grep json.py
[sudo] password for arick:

./usr/share/pyshared/nevow/json.py
./usr/share/pyshared/nevow/test/test_json.py
./usr/share/pyshared/coherence/json.py
./usr/share/pyshared/lazr/restfulclient/_json.py
./usr/share/gtg/GTG/plugins/import_json/import_json.py
./usr/share/gtg/GTG/plugins/import_json/import_json.pyc
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nevow/json.pyc
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nevow/json.py
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nevow/test/test_json.py
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nevow/test/test_json.pyc
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/coherence/json.pyc
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/coherence/json.py
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/lazr/restfulclient/_json.pyc
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/lazr/restfulclient/_json.py
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.free.cable/resources/lib/demjson.py
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.free.cable/resources/lib/demjson.pyc
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/lib/minjson.py
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/lib/json.pyc
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/lib/json.py
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.module.demjson/lib/demjson.py
./home/arick/.xbmc/addons/script.module.demjson/lib/demjson.pyc
cheers, one of the addons you have, comes bundled with a old/customized/whatever json library.
this one will get loaded instead of the default system json library.

so.. remove this directory:
~/.xbmc/addons/script.module.dmd-czech.common/

restart xbmc and check if it fixes the issue.
Ronie,

THANK YOU. That was in fact, the solution to the problem.

I don't think I have permissions on the Wiki for modifying notes. I believe it would benefit people if there is a note about json errors on the plugin page and the trouble shooting step/solution:

Solution: Locate any stray json.py and json.pyc python modules in the user configuration directory and remove them.

Respectfully,
Arick
When i start kodi 14.2 i get script failed watch history module any fix for this

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
script.watchlist errors... among others0