Win Who here can claim they have a great XBMC PVR setup???
After hours and hours of trying different TV Tuners and backends, I've come to the conclusion that it's not yet feasible to have a good and stable PVR setup with XBMC. At least not on windows. Channels either start taking a long time to switch, or XBMC crashes, or the sound drops out, etc.

Aargh!

Can anyone here claim they have a really good PVR setup through XBMCHuh
Hi,

I have a great XMBC PVR setup....on Linux, with thheadend.

I tried with windows, but the time shifting on argus TV implies a very long time for channel change.
After several tries with other PVR software, I went back to tvheadend on linux.
I don't have time shifting, but everything else works.

Mulb
I am using Argus and Windows and I have a great set up.
Channel changing may not be as quick as WMC and DVBLink but I got bored at the lack of customisation and the hoops I had to go through to play back different video files.

I still have problems with some missed recordings but that is because my PVR data does not give the program unique descriptions and is easily fixed, and there are a few things XBMC PVR side that I would like changing.

For a piece of software that is not yet fully released, still on it's first (official) iteration and is free I can't complain.

I still had crashes / problems with WMC. If you want completely trouble free TV viewing use the airel in back of your TV or your cable / satellites providers box
(2013-01-14, 21:24)ghost5 Wrote: I am using Argus and Windows and I have a great set up.
Channel changing may not be as quick as WMC and DVBLink but I got bored at the lack of customisation and the hoops I had to go through to play back different video files.

I still have problems with some missed recordings but that is because my PVR data does not give the program unique descriptions and is easily fixed, and there are a few things XBMC PVR side that I would like changing.

For a piece of software that is not yet fully released, still on it's first (official) iteration and is free I can't complain.

I still had crashes / problems with WMC. If you want completely trouble free TV viewing use the airel in back of your TV or your cable / satellites providers box

I agree with ghost5, I have Mediaportal and Windows and I have a solid setup, there are things I'd like to have improved but with the customizations and addons I'd take this over WMC (I've used WMC from the beginning but you get bored with no change). With XBMC, the channel change isn't very fast (4 seconds), TV recordings could improve and I'd like to see more details in the EPG guide, but its still ahead of WMC. You have to remember with XBMC pvr is still a new addition so I do expect improvements.

Once you get it setup and working you'll be satified (I agree getting started could be frustrating) but taking your time and following steps shared you'll get there. It took me about 3 weeks to be satisfied with XBMC.

My only current annoyance is in the EPG guide, sporting events don't show the teams, I'd like to see more details in the EPG guide where I can see the actors and at least the year release of the movie.

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left windows behind. DVBlink was the main tuner first configured to work with SageTV 6 and then 7 with thier HD extenders. I moved to MCE as the fronted on Revo 3610, and it worked good but sluggish and missed recordings. So went back to sagetv as it was a more scaleable solution.

However, in parallel I built a hp media server with ubuntu and tvheadend as the pvr to replace DVBlink. This is feeding the revo, 2 atv2 and 3 raspberry pi endpoints all of which running the latest openelec with tvheadend.pvr 1.6 16 (atv2 are using thier default build)

Is it stable? I have never had a more stable solution feeding multiple dvb hd streams including decryption.

Grab openelec, its plug and play. You need no linux experience. Tv headend is a bit trickier but spend 2 or 3 hours and you will never lookback. At least in my opinion.

Damian
MediaPortal and xbmc combined with 3 HDHomeruns that give me a total of 7 tuners provide me with a good working setup. I don't expect a "great" setup until xbmc 13 is released next year, by that time the skinners will have had a chance to get their teeth into it and the PVR plugins will have matured enough to provide full functionality. For a setup that isn't even officially released and built by people in their spare time I am very impressed with its functionality.

The only thing I could ask for is a dedicated HDHomerun plugin that communicated directly with the HDHomeruns eliminating the backend and this may be very well possible with the recent developments/announcements coming out of Silicondust
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
I look forward to the day when there's an installation that includes the backend pvr as well as IR blast for the remote. Then the only think you need to do is decide which skin to use. Some basic addons that pretty much every user need could be included in the install.

How hard is this to create?

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hijack the thread but this is related...I see mentioned the HDHomerun tv tuner mentned several times & I was curious...who went with the cable card (Prime) version over the standard one? Is it worth it to go with the Prime for about $60 more plus cable fees? I have Time Warner cable.

I'm trying to build a windows HTPC with Windows 7...I have a Logitech Revue in the living room currently and like it but I think Google can do better. XBMC is far superior to GTV except for the live tv functionality...but for a free setup (hell even if it was paid) its AWESOME!!!!!
Unless you need/want ota/antenna then go with the prime. Check out the Silicondust site for their promised upnp updates for them. The prime will pick up clear qam cable without a cable card.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Server:
- Win7
- Recording, Web-Access & EPG: TV-Server (MediaPortal) with 4 DVB-C tuners from http://www.digital-devices.com/
(with CI card for German Kabel Deutschland)
- Scheduling & Client-Access: Argus-TV Server component

Clients (4x)
- Win7
- GUI: XBMC Frodo RC3 with Argus TV PVR Plugin

this setup runs great in a sort of "productive" state (wife, 4 kids), recording
is excellent (about 10-15 recordings/day, 3 SD and 1 HD at the same time is
no problem, recordings are flawless, no missing recordings)

pro:
- ARGUS scheduling logic for automatic recording selection and deletion
- fast XBMC gui
- web access
- central database for Series/Movies

con:
- channel switching still not perfect (4 sec start, 2 sec switch)
- PVR GUI not optimal (recordings refresh, manual deletion, EPG presentation)

todo:
- atm server is running 24/7. need to test auto sleep and wakeup
for recordings.
- integrate internet radio streaming to local upnp clients into
server

If channel change with ArgusTV is too slow for you, set "Delay after tuning (ms)" to 0 in add-on settings. It's 200 by default.
I used to have a good PVR setup under Windows with MediaPortal.
Now I use XBMC + TvHeadend under Linux and I am happy with it.
This maybe OT but I don't know the best place to ask:
I use Argus to serve live tv from a twin tuner card...How do I set two separate xmbc setups to use separate tuners so both can view separate channels at the same time?
Hi,
Normally Argus will give to XBMC the next available tuner. So if no one is recording anything, one tuner should always be free.
A workaround could be to use two instances of Argus, each only using one tuner and serving one XBMC setup.
I agree with the OP...I'm by no means a true "Dev" but more of a adopter of what others dev. I dont have the background knowledge to do serious trouble shooting looking at codes, etc. While I'm not a huge fan of Windows and Lord knows not of M$. I think everyone who says there's another solution other than Windows Media Center on Windows has ugly baby syndrome. There are times when you just have to be honest with yourself and the world that your baby is ugly. I know many have put a lot of time in their current setup as I have as well but the only thing that would keep me using XBMC as my PVR due to functionality would be pride.

My wife can use Windows Media Center for TV but there is no current solution that doesnt require tinkering and a few changes here and there constantly to keep it up and running. Thats why I cant leave WMC so until a plugin is developed having XBMC communicate directly with our Homerun sadly I dont think I'll be able to adopt. Really sad about that too because Frodo is legit and I honestly think XBMC is my favorite software I've ever used across any genre.

XBMC PVR simply isnt ready for the primetime yet....makes me so sad to say too. If there is a Linux option that can complete (in a true sense of the word and not like these arguments for the Windows alternatives "compete") then I'll make my HTPC a Linux machine. Like I said though, once setup it'll have to be female friendly Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who here can claim they have a great XBMC PVR setup???0