XBMC - LiveTV – CableCards and Encryption
(2013-01-23, 20:48)nickr Wrote: See the last answer, but bear in mind that you "copied once" when WMC coped it to your hard drive.
Yes, the previous answer was what I was looking for. I realize the original recording is all that's allowed. That's why my suggestions did not involve any further copying... just moving, or playing from the original source location but by another software. I understand now why that won't work either.

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to be abandoning Linux and installing Win7 on my net-top media box and running XBMC for Windows, and integrate that with WMC, if I want to be able to watch & record HBO. :-)
(2013-01-18, 23:31)nickr Wrote: Windows media Centre is closed source. Also what you suggest contravenes the DCMA and is probably best kept off this forum.

sorry about that :-C
If you want to eliminate your cable box and play copy-once channels you will need WMC. I have been experimenting with xbmc and a backend and it doesn't compare to fluidity and ease of use of wmc. I will continue using xbmc and wmc together.
I've been trying to get a Win7 VM up on my Linux file server in order to get WMC working. I have and HDHR Prime CC and got it to work pretty well with Myth, but it's not ideal. Right now, XBMC cannot connect to the Myth backend, and I'm trying to figure out why it broke all of the sudden, plus the Myth plugin still has issues if the XBMC goes into, then comes out of suspend, IIRC.

I was hoping TVHeadend would be patched to work with the HDHR Prime, but that effort seems to have died.

Long story short, with the CC tuners, there's no real easy way of doing it, especially if you want a Linux-based XBMC setup.
I see this is an old thread but I have a question. I have basic cable (I only use it to watch local tv) but I was watching it through XBMC. Suddenly it stopped working and I noticed even if I plugged straight into my QAM ready tv, that also stopped working. I then read that Comcast has now encrypted ALL of their channels and I need to rent a box from them to see ANY channels at all. This would screw up being able to watch everything through XBMC. Do any of you know if there is a way around the box? And i mean a LEGAL way (I am not looking for anything illegal), I just mean like something you can get from Comcast for your PC? For people who don't want a box? And I thought I read somebody mention that MythTV would unencrypt just the local channels? That is all I am looking for (local sports)... if not I guess I will have to go with an antenna but I only get one local channel on an antenna where I live Sad
Sounds like you cable line was disconnected or full encryption is now being applied by Comcast. Maybe someone with Comcast can confirm.

What backend are you using with XBMC. Have you tried to perform a rescan? You did no mentioned it, But i am assuming you are using a cable card. if so, make sure it still has a connection to Comcast. I have seem them drop off.

Hope this helps.
Yes, they went to full encryption. i am using MythTV I think as a back end. When I do a rescan, it finds all the old channels but says "encrypted" now. The TV just doesn't even pick up any channels at all. I have no idea why they go through all that trouble when anybody with an antenna can get those channels for free. Seems as if they will push a lot of people away (like me) if I can't find a solution. Using a "box" will defeat the entire purpose of an all-in-one system like xbmc.
Your only solution now may be a STB and an HDPVR.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Time Warner on my end allows local channels. I was Using Hauppauge 1230 WinTV-HVR-850 USB 2.0 TV Tuner Stick at one point to receive over the air channels with the Mythtv backend. Work pretty well with xbmc.
Yes well of course cable is not the only way to get TV so OTA may well work for you.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - LiveTV – CableCards and Encryption0