Linux The Best Backend
Right,

I'm still quite new to XBMC and linux. I originally installed Myth TV as it supported time shifting feature, however I couldn't get it to work I spent a few hours trying, I was recomended to use TVheadend and I had it up and running in a few mins. It got me thinking whats the best back end?

What backend do you use and why?
Was it easy to install?
Whats becoming the best backend to use?
Question without much use ^^ - i prefer VDR as this is my only PVR application since 10years+ now - for beginners and as long as you dont miss anything, tvheadend should be fine. If you need the features of it, VDR might be a nice option.
Time-shifting is coming to tvheadend soon. Its already included into its main repository if you want to have a delve deeper into linux and build it yourself. I'm sticking with the current stable build purely because I'm using it day to day and the "other half" has a tendency make things break just by pressing a button on the remote.
I've not tried any of the other linux backends but did try a couple of the windows ones and found them awkward to set up and slow to change channel.
In My Opinion this is MythTV. It is cumbersome to set up, but it is very powerful / stable.
Hell yeah, TVHeadEnd .. using it for more than one year in experimental XBMC builds - tvheadend is stable, never had any issues with it, it's the backend with the fastest channel switching, even HD & encrypted channels switch in about a second, EPG is fine, easy to setup as you know and with little ressource request .. with the webinterface easy to maintain from other computers. And it supports - without pain - code word clients (newcamd) for encrypted stuff. MythTV and VDR have a lot of features and they are for sure good backends, but the winner is imho tvheadend ..

Greetz

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Here's my setup:
Frontends x 3: raspberry pi with openelec
Backend: HP microserver running openmediavault (Debian squeeze), Sony PlayTV USB twin tuner, 12tb raid, mythtv 0.24 from deb-multimedia
I spent a lot of time mucking around with Myth and I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the resulting live tv setup - changing channels always runs the risk of crashing the frontend and/or backend. I tried Myth 0.25 and it was much worse - very unstable changing channels and crashed almost every time.
I tried to install VDR from deb-multimedia and other repositories and I couldn't find a version that would talk to openelec's VDR client. I went with myth because I liked the idea of its advanced record scheduling capabilities. Now I'm thinking I'd prefer stability and ease-of-installation over advanced features.
Don't know what the best backend is but I tested vdr (here yavdr 0.5) 4 weeks ago on my old asrock ION 330 w/ 1 x sundtek dvb-c usb cable adaptor and, well, it's still running without a glitch (now in headless mode) and sits on top of my NAS in the basement ... frontend is, for the time being, OEv3rc1. The only PITA was getting the pvr plugins/add-ons in sync. Currently I'm using xvdr.

The other xbmc frontend (ATV2) is still on Eden and will get an update when frodo final will be there - will be fun to see how the add-on stuff will work there.

With yavdr setup was very easy and straight forward to get the backend up an running. I don't use any sophisticated vdr features right now. It's working and it's stable. No need to test any other backend.
--
multiple Kodi clients + vdr backend + mysql db
(2013-01-16, 19:44)gthompson20 Wrote: In My Opinion this is MythTV. It is cumbersome to set up, but it is very powerful / stable.

+1 Totally agree that MythTV is the best.
I like TVHeadEnd has never given me any grief, it runs on a server with two DVB-T cards and has three clients coming off it. Just works, easy to configure, fast channel switching and stable. Ticks all my box's Tongue
It really depends on what you're after - they all have strengths and weaknesses. I personally have been using mythtv long before xbmc-pvr and will stick with it for the foreseeable future. It is somewhat complex to setup and channel changes are slow but once its setup its rock solid, has a great web interface and I only really watch recorded TV (no ads this way) so slow channel changes are no big deal (and when I do I use the EPG to select channels not CH+/-).

I just setup a htpc for my parents and used tvheadend for that because the live TV aspect is more important for them and its a hell of alot easier for me to setup. Tvhs web interface has nothing on mythtvs and the scheduling doesn't look as comprehensive as myths, but channel changes are almost instant, setup is a walk in the park compared to mythtvs and there's a pre built tvh service add on for openelec - you'll be watching live TV in minutes. Plus tvh has had great support in xbmc for a long time.

Never had much luck with vdr and from what I've seen most of its documentation is in German so I haven't tried to hard to get it working.

Different horse for different courses I guess...
It's not true most documentation is in German. Most important forum hovewer is. But VDR has many plugins which makes it most powerful frontend. It isn't hard to configure either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Best Backend1