Frodo RC3 - 10.8.2 Powering off screen stops HDMI audio
Other posts I've seen suggest that their sound actually stops (didn't actually find a thread for this issue or I would have added to it). In my case, I can barely hear the audio coming out of the mac mini itself. (so, with the TV turned off, the mac mini gets a signal from the receiver and XBMC disables HDMI audio, but then doesn't respond to the wake-up signal from the receiver).

Or, at least that's what it looks like.

Debug log was enabled, then the TV was turned off, then turned the TV back on, verified the issue was present and exited XBMC (to keep the log as short as possible).

Debug Log: http://pastebin.ca/2303401

OSX 10.8.2
Platform Mac Mini - Late 2012 - 4GB RAM, 2.5Ghz Intel i5, Intel 4000 Graphics
Install Method - DMG
SVN XBMC 12.0-RC3 Git: 20130102-7a6cb7f (Compiled: Jan 3, 2013)

Hardware config: mac mini - Pioneer SC-25 A/V Receiver - Panasonic Plasma Display

I've tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit (current binary) applications.
Bump

Additional info. If you go into System, Settings, System, Audio Preferences and toggle the output from HDMI to Built-in Output, then back to HDMI again, it restores the audio.
I called Apple about this, it is The hdmiport that turns off because it is not in use. They said it was suppose to be like that. Tip: if you hold down alt-key when you move your mouse over The soundsymbol in tool-line you Get to select sound-out source. This is not in xbmc but in desktop on 10.8.2
Yes, but when you turn the TV back on the OS reactivates the HDMI port. Shouldn't XBMC be getting the port status from the OS?
Before 10.8.2, whatever we did worked. It's just a matter of figuring out how to get it to work in 10.8.2.
Im having the same issue when my screen goes to sleep (i.e not off...just inactivity blue screen). When it returns from sleep no more audio. In eden i never had any problems, but at some i remember an issue crept in (pre frodo rc1 i think) where after sleep id have no audio but if i stopped the video and played again sound would come back. As it stands right now the stop start solution no longer works i habe to quit xbmc and sart again and audio returns. So its definitely not a tv issue, its an xbmc issue since quitting and retarting works for me (no messing with system settings in between)
We bumped to 10.6 sdk - multiple stuff got broken there and we didn't find everything yet. Try the following and report back:

Start XBMC. Let it go to sleep (don't play anything yet). Wake it up and then start an mp3 (stereo if possible) - i guess you won't get any sound. Now try to play a movie with some multichannel sound (5.1) - it might still not reactivate audio (depends on your passthrough setup). The idea is to open something which has a different audio format then what was there before the sleep (in gui we have 44100hz 16bit stereo for the gui sounds - so you want to start something different after resume for forcing us to reinit the audio device). Just a guess.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hmm. I'm not actually putting anything to sleep. I'm turning the TV off. In the original post I stated that it's defaulting to the built-in audio. nmirza, if you're not hearing the built-in audio coming from the mac mini itself (maybe you have it muted...double-check under system preferences, sound). If you're not hearing the audio through the mac mini, then I'd suggest your problem isn't the same.

Memphiz, that worked exactly as you suggested. Playing an mp3 re-enabled the audio. Both the mp3 as well as the movie audio played fine through the receiver and speakers.

Do you want me to grab another log file? (will that help to further debug the issue?)
yeah.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Ok, here you go. This first log file is the use case you asked for - playing an MP3 restored the HDMI audio.

http://pastebin.ca/2307782

This second log file was created by playing an MP3 with XBMC, then turning the TV off (desired behaviour - the audio shouldn't stop playing at all). Again, the audio switches to the mac mini's internal speaker and doesn't switch back when you turn the TV on.

Hoping we can have XBMC function this way that the music playback continues with the TV off (when I used XMBC 11 on my old Linux HTPC, I would queue up a playlist with XMBC, play it to my outdoor speakers via the AV receiver Zone 2, turning off the plasma display as it's not required for audio playback).

http://pastebin.ca/2307783

Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide. Thanks!!
I am sooo glad someone bought up this issue! I am also experiencing this problem, the only fix is changing the audio back to HDMI in settings or restarting XBMC... Hope someone has a fix for this!
(2013-01-27, 16:11)Ridicule Wrote: Ok, here you go. This first log file is the use case you asked for - playing an MP3 restored the HDMI audio.

http://pastebin.ca/2307782

This second log file was created by playing an MP3 with XBMC, then turning the TV off (desired behaviour - the audio shouldn't stop playing at all). Again, the audio switches to the mac mini's internal speaker and doesn't switch back when you turn the TV on.

Hoping we can have XBMC function this way that the music playback continues with the TV off (when I used XMBC 11 on my old Linux HTPC, I would queue up a playlist with XMBC, play it to my outdoor speakers via the AV receiver Zone 2, turning off the plasma display as it's not required for audio playback).

http://pastebin.ca/2307783

Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide. Thanks!!

If you do the same when running itunes - does it behave differently?
Quote:If you do the same when running itunes - does it behave differently?

No, XBMC still loses audio across turning the TV off/on, even while iTunes remains playing over HDMI.

I think someone suggested above that this is related to the OS X version, but it probably isn't. It affects OS X 10.6.8 as well as 10.8.2. It does not affect XBMC 11, but does affect 12rc3. As Memphiz suggested, playing any new audio type restores playback, as does cycling audio output settings to/from another output, or restarting XBMC. I guess the device is not getting reinitialized when it should. Was there perhaps an optimization avoiding reinitialization of the audio device if the audio format did not change? (I apologize for my ignorance if that makes no sense).

I think it has long been the case that if you turn off the TV during a video would lose audio, but stopping and restarting playback would fix it. That is obviously not ideal, but it is tolerable. To get back to this state of affairs, I guess the fix here would be to force reinitialization of the audio device at every playback start. Is that reasonable?
We prevented this because users started bitching about when playing music it would hickup 5 secs before each track ends (because audio was reinitialized). Indeed there were optimisations where we only reinit audio if the format changes (for preventing exactly this hickup). Not sure what triggers our code when screen is powered off. I can't see anything which would call the audio code there (even if it wouldn't reinit now because of the optimisation - someone would need to call it first).
Hi All,

sorry if I missplace my problem in this threat, but for some parts it seams to be right here.
So if you like me to open another threat, I will do, of course!

I'm using Frodo RC3 with a Mac Mini 2010 (OS 10.7.~3 -> the latest 10.7).
The mac is connected via a Onkyo HT Receiver (ARC)

Since I have installed Frodo RC3, I have sound issues more often compared to Eden.
If I watch a movie - it doesn't matter what format it is - the TV sometimes suddenly turns off and on again. I have no idea why this happens.

When this has happened, the movie sound comes through the mac speakers and there is no possibility to get the sound back to the Onkyo speakers. The strange thing is, when I go through the xbmc menu the sounds comes from the Onkyo speakers.
However, I have to restart xbmc to solve this issue.

I had such issues also with Eden but not quite often...
When I use a different players like VLC this problem doesn't occur.
So I do not think it is caused by the HDMI Cable.

It would be nice if you have any suggestions.

Please let me know, if I have to provide some more details.

Thank you very much for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo RC3 - 10.8.2 Powering off screen stops HDMI audio0