Frodo RC3 - 10.8.2 Powering off screen stops HDMI audio
Hello,

I'm with the Arctic MC001 HTPC, with OpenELEC on it (OE latest version 3.0.1, XBMC 12.1.6). It's connected to a Samsung TV via a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver, using HDMI on both sides.

I am currently experiencing similar phenomena as described above: when listening to music (or whatever), upon turning off the TV the HDMI input to the receiver is being muted. In my case when turning the TV on the audio comes back again; anyhow knowing that HDMI audio would stop I just don't turn off the TV anymore, naturally.
I've experimented with all HDMI control parameters both in the Yamaha and the Samsung, to no avail - whatever combination of parameters the audio keeps stopping upon turning off the TV. At the moment I'm bypassing the problem by just using the energy saving options of the TV as one of the users suggested - but obviously this is a sub-optimal solution for plain music listening.

I was hoping that with new versions of OE and XBMC a solution would be introduced to this problem... especially considering the working fix that Memphiz figured out a couple of months ago.

Is there an outlook for whether and when the fix would be added to a formal distribution of XBMC?

Thanks!
This fix is specific to the audio engine for OSX and doesn't apply to other operating systems. (oe/linux). Though there can be done something similar on linux and its on the todo list of the linux audioengine dev. No eta.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the response.
Looking forward to see this fix in the OE distribution as well, hopefully soon. From some googleing after a fix for this thing I understand that there are quite a few fellows out there with an OE/AVR/TV combination over HDMI and with the same issue.

Other than that I'm really enjoying XBMC. Appreciate your efforts!
Sorry to dig up an old thread. But I just changed to a newer Mac Mini with HDMI connecting to the AVR and onto the screen. I experienced the problem as described. The old Mini didn't have this issue. It connected with DVI > HDMI with the audio passing separately through optical. So, I tried connecting the new Mac Mini using optical for the sound again, and the problem went away. I power off the screen, and iTunes keeps playing. So, it appears running the audio through optical is a workaround.

But, is there a difference in sound quality? I thought I was dreaming when I hooked up the newer Mini and things seemed to sound better.
With this change back I noticed in the Audio Midi Setup program the the optical was running at 44000.0 Hz to 2ch 24bit. Switching to HDMI, and it changes to 48000.0 Hz 8ch 24bit. This is while listening to music. I never quite understood those settings.

So, technically, using optical to bypass HDMI stopping the music when the screen gets dark might be a usable fix, but it may affect audio quality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo RC3 - 10.8.2 Powering off screen stops HDMI audio0