Multi-room setup - What's possible?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...sing_MySQL
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So i thought i would post what i have planned for my house.

Ive bought a refurb property so im we-wiring the whole lot, so thought i would incorporate a all house media system and home automation.

What i have so far - this is all theory untill i get it up and running and test it.

Im wiring 3x cat6 cables plus coax to every room in the house - This includes 4 bedrooms, kitchen, living room.
A HDMi matrix will be supplying the cat6 cables inc a patch panel connected to my router for internet connectivity.
Im using an AV system for full house synced audio and running in ceiling speakers to every room - 4 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms (maybe dining room).
My home automation will run via a homecenter2 by fibaro with fibaro relay units using z-wave.
Everything can be run from roomie remote. inc full audio switching for each room etc. I can then incorporate scenes for my home automation.

A couple of problems i need to overcome.

The AV unit can only support either 6.1 to all channels or stereo. So i need to either have 6.1 in everyroom (exspensive?) or a seperate amp for the room (how will it sync with the rest?).

I have one XBMC system with my hard drives in and tv cards. Will this only be able to stream 1 type of stream at a time. If so i fugure out how to get 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 streams going at once. Putting a box in every room defeats the point of the hdmi matrix.
Sounds overly complex. Maybe you need to be less hung up on the HDMI matrix idea.

My system will be:

Cat 5/6 to every room.
Central server with mythtv, shares video media via smb, music via Logitech media server
squeezeboxes where music is wanted, can be synced together, or all different
Xbmc machine at each TV. These can also act as squeeze clients.

What my system won't do is sync video throughout the house, ie each xbmc is autonomous. However I have never seen the need for or sense of that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I need the hdmi matrix because XBMC is not the only thing being transfered to the different rooms. I also have the xbox, pc plus anything else i decide i want to be available in different rooms of the house.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-room setup - What's possible?0