XBMC & AAC Passthrough
aac passthrough is a classic snipe hunt, it does not exist.
I think we are getting away from the true point of the post.

Is AAC Passthrough really working from XBMC side? From my testing it seems not to work.

Is somebody that knows the design of the new Audio Engine could comment on this would be great, if needed I can provide debug logs. Or is the new Audio Engine smart to determine what is supported for passthrough ?
Without some sort of physical audio receiver that can indeed accept AAC audio format, there is no way to tell. And I highly doubt that any Bose system would be capable of it. In fact.... (wait for it) no audio receiver on the market does.

Now give me that bone Smile
It's being transcoded to AC3 by ffmpeg. I have not yet seen (or got my hands on) a receiver that natively decodes AAC.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thank you for the clarification
(2013-01-20, 14:31)DDDamian Wrote: It's being transcoded to AC3 by ffmpeg. I have not yet seen (or got my hands on) a receiver that natively decodes AAC.

Since there are not many receivers capable of decoding 5.1AAC, are there any plans to implement AAC to Dolby Digital transcoding in the Frodo builds? Thanks.
(2013-01-21, 19:05)paul5 Wrote:
(2013-01-20, 14:31)DDDamian Wrote: It's being transcoded to AC3 by ffmpeg. I have not yet seen (or got my hands on) a receiver that natively decodes AAC.

Since there are not many receivers capable of decoding 5.1AAC, are there any plans to implement AAC to Dolby Digital transcoding in the Frodo builds? Thanks.

It already does Smile

Simply check the "AC3 capable receiver" checkbox and AAC is transcoded to AC3.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@DDDamian

That information is wiki worthy and Ive updated the wiki accordingly on both AC3 and AAC parts. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...I_Settings

uNi

@uNiversal - thanks - appreciate both the Wiki and forum help you're giving.
Damain, I updated that page also today to try and make the Audio Output operation clearer with the Analog/SPDIF/HDMI options as well as some other tweaks, have a browse when you've got time in case I've made any mistakes.
@DDDamian

Wink Thank you Wink your welcome, Its a small way of contributing to XBMC since cannot understand code and brain is incapable of much else.

uNi

(2013-01-21, 20:03)jjd-uk Wrote: Damain, I updated that page also today to try and make the Audio Output operation clearer with the Analog/SPDIF/HDMI options as well as some other tweaks, have a browse when you've got time in case I've made any mistakes.

Will do. Damn it would be nice to bundle and package setup docs with the installer (and maybe force the user to read before launching lol)
haha! It would be great before you made a first post in Forums you had to read the FAQ's and use forums search too and the stickies.

RTFM would take a whole new meaning and be the most hated and feared topic on the intrawebs again.

Which reminds me, the wiki should have language options, because like me (not being native English speaker/writer/reader many of us dont actually read/speak/write English eh?!

ping @ned Scott

With the new wiki skin or whatever please consider adding automatic google translate links (flags ?) hint suggestion! also is there a beta preview wip I can use for wiki?

uNi
Looking at the current "Frodo" source code, I'd say that the option "AAC capable receiver" doesn't do anything at all. The only class that honours it is CDVDAudioCodecPassthroughFFmpeg. However, this class is used on Apple targets exclusively and - as seen here - is only instantiated for AC3 and DTS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC & AAC Passthrough0