Solved Comic book setup using Picture viewer
I read comic book reading was a feature in version 2, and yet in version 4 I don't see this. I have XBMC Frodo RC3 with Aeon Nox 4 from Github. So far, all I tried to do was follow this video:

Aeon Nox 3.5 Tutorial: Configuring Comics - fional

I just have a couple of questions to set my mind straight:

i) Is comic book reading a feature of Aeon Nox 4, running on Linux?
i) If so, does it run natively, or require a plugin?

Thanks,
n1md4
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
(2013-01-19, 23:26)n1md4 Wrote: I read comic book reading was a feature in version 2, and yet in version 4 I don't see this. I have XBMC Frodo RC3 with Aeon Nox 4 from Github. So far, all I tried to do was follow this video:

Aeon Nox 3.5 Tutorial: Configuring Comics - fional

I just have a couple of questions to set my mind straight:

i) Is comic book reading a feature of Aeon Nox 4, running on Linux?
i) If so, does it run natively, or require a plugin?

Thanks,
n1md4

add a folder with comics to your favourites and add that one to main menu. if you want poster-sized viewtypes you need /comics/ in folder path.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
(2013-01-20, 00:38)phil65 Wrote: add a folder with comics to your favourites and add that one to main menu. if you want poster-sized viewtypes you need /comics/ in folder path.

How do I add a favourite folder? Unfortunately, I don't know how to add favourites to the main menu, either.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Although I've got something vaguely working, I'd still like to know, does Aeon Nox 4 have a cbr/cbz reader built in? Currently I've configured qcomicbook, but if there's something integrated, I'd like to know.
Display Sony Bravia 32"
I have tried both configuring Advanced Launcher with qcomicbook, and creating a source folder; from Videos, and have in turn set both to favourites. Neither of these seem to work the way I'd thought they should.

Is there a guide I can follow to have Comic book scraping work the way Videos and Music do, perhaps with scraping from Comicvine. How does this feature work in Aeon Nox 4? Or am I getting the concept wrong?
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to add comics as well and cant seem to get it?

EDIT:
I sort of got it, I added a custom settings of:
ActivateWindow(pictures,PATH TO COMICS,return)
My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
(2013-01-22, 23:36)ShadowTek Wrote: Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to add comics as well and cant seem to get it?

basically this way:
- add your comics folder to pictures (it should have a /comics/ in its path to get poster viewtypes)
- add that folder to favourites
- add that favourite to main menu
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
I did not see the previous post, until I'd submitted this one ... I'll try that first.

Okay, I'm determined to get this to work; for all the newbie comic book wannabes Wink

This is what I want from a comic book reading experience:

1. Comic item from the main menu, with associated comic directory
  2. Library to manage metadata for books and series, as XBMC does for video and music; info, artwork, group sets
  3. Seamless reading experience, from menu to launcher and back again

From what I've read around these forums, I understand Aeon Nox is capable of customising the main-menu, comicvine can manage metadata, and that XBMC has natively supported cbr documents. So, my goals should be easily attainable, and yet I've not managed to achieve what I want.

Here is my efforts so far:

Comic item from the main menu, with associated comic directory

Thanks to Aeon Nox 4, adding a menu item was easy. I'm having troubling knowing how to add a directory for my comics though, as phil65 suggest. So far I've tried:
  • adding a video source, without content.
  • adding a directory using file manager (accessed from the PowerMenu)
  • adding a directory from the Programs menu

n.b. All attempts have been made against a comic source directory /home/xbmc/comics/

For each of these attempts I'd created a favourite from them, and then set that favourite in the main menu.

I think the last attempt has succeeded, in part anyway, as I now have a main-menu item, which when clicked on displays a directory list. Sadly though there's no cbr files displayed. If any one can let me know if a) I'm using the right method, and b) if any one can suggest why I'm only getting a directory listing with no files, I would be grateful.

Library to manage metadata for books and series, as XBMC does for video and music; info, artwork, group sets.

I can't test this step until I have data to test it against. But, I'm unsure how Comicvine can be configured to scrape data, or if (without using Advanced Launcher) it's possible at all? If it is, another assumption is that it's all down to the naming convention as to whether the data scrapes correctly.

Seamless reading experience, from menu to launcher and back again

Assuming native XBMC support for cbr files, this part shouldn't need any configuring at all ... /me finds some wood to touch

Many thanks,
n1md4
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Ok thanks Phil65 I got it now Smile, thanks for explaining how to add a folder to favorites, I was screwing around with the file manager thinking that was the way :/ (I still haven't figured out what the file manager is for lol)
My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
(2013-01-22, 23:48)phil65 Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 23:36)ShadowTek Wrote: Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to add comics as well and cant seem to get it?

basically this way:
- add your comics folder to pictures (it should have a /comics/ in its path to get poster viewtypes)
- add that folder to favourites
- add that favourite to main menu

That was painfully easy! Thanks.

I think I'd like the metadata too though, and as this method is only using the picture viewer, I think it's back to hacking qcomicbook.
Display Sony Bravia 32"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Comic book setup using Picture viewer0