Acer Revo L80 / RL80 - XBMC not supported on hardware??
Hi All

After dabbling withe a Raspberry Pi I decided I wanted something more substantial, The Revo's have always been quite popular and with the recent L80 model which is priced at £149.99 from ebuyer I thought it would make a good hardware platform for XBMC

I am starting to have second thoughts,

I have tried every OPENELEC build

all the Intel custom builds I get rainbow screens like something hardware related is not supported

the OSS build installs but never starts

I picked up another thread as someone else has had similar issues installing Ubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2099752

They suggest the intel / nvidia code is broken for hardware acceleration on XBMC so im thinking the hardware isnt being supported correctly on the new Revo L80 / RL80 platforms

Has anybody else succesfully got XBMC running on this platform, if so please can you advise how!?

Just a suggestion, but go into the L80's BIOS and increase the VGA video memory size to 256mb or 512mb and see if that solves the problem.
Ok, will give that ago tonight and let you know if that works.
can anybody tell me which architecture build would be the most appropriate for this platform?

Acer Revo L80 Nettop PC, Intel Celeron 887 1.5GHz with Intel HD chipset
OpenELEC Intel build, failing that try the Generic build.
Nope, still just get a rainbow of colours when it attempts to boot / setup stage..

Tried 64 and 32 bit version of Intel..
also its an RL80

I could only increase the VD memory from 64 to 128mb
I've just purchased a L80 which I'm hoping to receive on Wednesday so I'll test it too
Intel Core i3-2377M Processor (1.5GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
4GB DDR3
500 GB SATA Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics

This should definitely run OpenELEC Intel build. The Celeron 887 would be the same. I installed OpenELEC on a Celeron 847 and AMD E-350 and they were both like butter.

I wonder if there's something wrong with the unit you received.
everything else works fine, FreeDOS etc just not Openelec.. Would love to know if anybody else has had success with this model as its so new there is little info about from others?
hi, got my L80 today and can confirm the same issues. The screen cycles round loads of colours but does stop. If I leave it long enough the screen goes blank and when I press a key it starts to cycle again so I'm guessing the installer loads but corruption stops us seeing anything.

I've just chucking Windows 8 on it and will look if any BIOS upgrades are available. Also, think we need to tap up Acer support as this an issue with various Linux distros.
Kind of glad to know im not on my own here..

Shame also though as I thought this would be a perfect system for XBMC .. Sad
I bought the unit just for xbmc / Linux and considering Linux won't install I think we should contact Acer.

BTW; I've even updated the bios on Acer's website which specifically states it's for Linux but still have the same problem.

Have windows 8 on there so will see if xbmc performs OK or if it's too slow.
Thanks for the update, let me know how you get on with Windows

Bought the unit for exactly the same reason purely for XBMC
hi Ghnasher

any progress on this? apparently Linux Distros dont support Intel HD chipset so think I might be sending mine back..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo L80 / RL80 - XBMC not supported on hardware??3