Help needed new boy!
Didn't know the right place to post this so it the mods need to move it please do.

Hi, I’m attempting and failing badly to set up media streaming system in my home.

Story so far.
I have a huge media PC in my living room it’s based on a Zalman case and I manually load media on to it from another PC. It only serves the main TV via an Onkyo AV Amp. I have a good broadband connection with a gigabit switch serving 3PCs, a Sony bluray player, Sky+HD box, the media PC, and formally a Win7 pc set up as a raid back up (this is now dead). All PCs are Windows 7.

T.V.s Main one is a lovely Samsung 50” plasma jobbie, unfortunately not DLNA enabled, second set is a nice new Panasonic LAN socket DLNA the whole works (when I’ve installed the CAT6), the Sony bluray is also DLNA but a bit slow and awkward to use.

To replace the dead PC I bought a Netgear ReadyNas duo Mk2 with 2 3T HDD, they are not raid set up as I have back up on my own PC and CD and DVD originals in storage. I also bought a PCTV nanostick 290e, as Netgears web site was raving about how it can turn the ReadyNas into a streaming PVR using DVBLogic as a server; this unfortunately had turned out to be complete turd, impossible to set up and destroyed my e-mail connection, not impressed.

OK I hopefully will be able to access the ReadyNas directly via the Sony. The main TV will need a box to go between the ReadyNas and the AV amp, i/p LAN o/p HDMI. With a remote to navigate around the media.

So the big ask.
Can I install XBMC on the ReadyNas, it has I believe a Linux OS (ARM?) and then get it to stream my CD collection, my photos as slide shows (with music), and my DVDs all with a pretty and easy to navigate interface. Ideally the DVDs will be in ISO format and I would like the interface to act like a virtual DVD player menus scene selection play pause FF RW etc. Also what extra hardware would I need and will I be able to access the PCTV stick plugged into the ReadyNas as a PVR.
How easy is the software to set up, I’m not that cleaver.
probably not. Xbmc is foremost a media center, not a server and the ReadyNas is too slow to run it. What you need is some nettop/Rpi/Pivos box that can run xbmc and access the media on your NAS.
OK, bt if I wanted to give it a try would I load up the Linux version to the ReadyNas? Xbmc is mentioned often on the Netgear forum buy nothing specific just "I use Xbmc with no problems", getting a forum reply over there is like drawing teeth. So I just wondered if anyone here had tryed it?

I've also seen the Atv2, would that be any use to me? Would I load a copy of Xbmc to each device PC, Atv2 and then stream from my ReadyNas?

I said I am a newbie!
Return the readynas and get a qnap if that is what you want. The 2 bay model has hdmi out and can run xbmc. Or just use the readynas as a file server and use a separate box for XBMC
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2013-01-23, 12:58)bry- Wrote: Return the readynas and get a qnap if that is what you want. The 2 bay model has hdmi out and can run xbmc. Or just use the readynas as a file server and use a separate box for XBMC

Returning the ReadyNas isn't an option, what are the options for Xbmc boxes?
just installed Xbmc on my windows 7 (64) PC its found the picture and music folders on the Nas, the visulisation is responding to the music. Found the sound settings eventually.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help needed new boy!0