OS X No 5.1 sound from AAC or DTS when transcoding to AC3
(2013-03-19, 20:57)phase700b Wrote: No. AAC 5.1 isn't transcoded to AC3 5.1 yet.

Any idea if this is going to be implemented soon? I really could use this feature... Smile
Not soon.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Awww, shame. Thanks for the update!
Instead of waiting for this capability to be added, I decided to convert all the AAC 5.1 audio to AC3 5.1 audio. It didn't take as long as I thought it would. I used MP4Tools which allowed me to convert the audio without transcoding the video.
Any word on whether DTS to AC3 transcoding will be part of v12.2?
it won't - nobody is working on that atm.
Since there is currently no transcoding options, does anyone know of a way to convert DTS/AAC sound to AC3 without touching the video? At least until the transcoding is fixed. I know Handbrake can convert AAC sound to AC3 but it takes a long time because i think it re encodes the video as well. Is there a way to leave the video untouched?
Handbrake can be set to leave the video untouched and just re-encode the audio, IIRC. (can't confirm right now, as my laptop is offline due to my charger catching on fire, haha)
popcorn audio converter was working fine for me.
However this is a windoof application, i'm afraid...
I used MP4Tools, MKVTools, and Subler. They worked for 95% of my files. For the files I had problems with, I used Handbrake to convert the audio, extracted the converted audio file, and muxed it into the original video file. That way, I don't lose any video quality.

(2013-04-15, 17:50)jm928 Wrote: Since there is currently no transcoding options, does anyone know of a way to convert DTS/AAC sound to AC3 without touching the video? At least until the transcoding is fixed. I know Handbrake can convert AAC sound to AC3 but it takes a long time because i think it re encodes the video as well. Is there a way to leave the video untouched?
(2013-04-16, 22:40)Junior Mint Wrote: I used MP4Tools, MKVTools, and Subler. They worked for 95% of my files. For the files I had problems with, I used Handbrake to convert the audio, extracted the converted audio file, and muxed it into the original video file. That way, I don't lose any video quality.

(2013-04-15, 17:50)jm928 Wrote: Since there is currently no transcoding options, does anyone know of a way to convert DTS/AAC sound to AC3 without touching the video? At least until the transcoding is fixed. I know Handbrake can convert AAC sound to AC3 but it takes a long time because i think it re encodes the video as well. Is there a way to leave the video untouched?

You can try demuxing the original file (software will vary according your source). Then u can recode the audio and mux to mkv (mkv supports literally any format).

You can lookout for "Yamb" to demux mp4, tsMuxer for transport streams, MKVExtract for mkv (I think its a part of mkvtools).

Funny I thought this was being handled for the 12.2 release since, in the nightlies, when I play somefile that requieres the realtime transcode to dolby and its 5.1 XBMC just crashes.
Hi all,
Checking in to see if there has been any progress on this issue. I'd love to be able to move past XBMC v11 with my AC3-only receiver.
Transcoding DTS and AAC to AC3 is implemented in latest nightlies.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Big Grin 
Sounds absolutely fab! Big Grin Will test it later today!
I tried this just now with the 9/17 nightly (i386) and I notice that you need to turn off Multichannel LPCM Capable Receiver to get the conversion to AC3 from AAC. Doing that, it seems to work. However, FLAC crashes XBMC unless you turn Multi LPCM back on. I did see a short period of AC3 output from 5.1 FLAC in one test with Multi LPCM off, but then XBMC crashed again. Also, there is no sound at all and stuttering video with DTS with Multi LPCM on, and Stereo LPCM with Multi LPCM off. I couldn't seem to find any set of audio options to get DTS to AC3 to work. It's 2 AM here so I'll try to get some logs tomorrow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No 5.1 sound from AAC or DTS when transcoding to AC30