OS X No 5.1 sound from AAC or DTS when transcoding to AC3
Thumbs Up 
I've tested it, and it seem to be working like a charm. The only thing I noticed is a small lack of response when skipping forward/backward in a movie. This is probably because it takes a while for the transcoder to kick in again.
Thanks for a good job, guys! Smile
@RipT - Turn ac3 on and anything Else of - Play a file with DTS ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Memphiz, you were right, the file I thought was DTS was really Dolby True-HD. There is some problem with True-HD as I can't get it to work unless I switch to analog output in the audio settings. DTS works with transcoding to AC3 with your settings, but also works fine with pass-through on my system, so I really don't need that.

FLAC 5.1, however, definitely is a problem with trancoding. It typically plays a little bit, then stutters then XBMC crashes.

Here's the crashlog: http://pastebin.com/J96JKmYx

Here's the XBMC llog:http://pastebin.com/yJq1Ardz

I am also seeing the lack of response mentioned by @PalleO when skipping forward or backwards on all videos, even AC3 vids, with every combination of audio settings I tried. This definitely wasn't happening with previous builds. If it's related to the transcoding, it might be a good idea to put in a checkbox to disable the transcoding as it is fairly annoying, and the only audio I really have trouble with using multichannel LPCM is ACC 7.1, with mixed up channels, which the transcoding doesn't fix anyway.
please provide a sample flac for me to test.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
@Memphiz, here's a good channel check video with various audio formats available in it, including FLAC 5.1 and 7.1. I got it from the linux forum here at XBMC, but the link is dead. I've uploaded it to here: http://temp-share.com/show/2gFbcr2o8. I've never used this site before, so let me know if you have any problems downloading it.
I have just today updated to 12.3 on Mavericks - it runs fine but i still can't get any kind of trascoding to work. Bothe AAC and DTS files output stereo despite only AC3 being selected in settings. These files still work in Eden.
transcoding is not available in frodo 12.x it was added for gotham and until this is released is available in current nightly and alpha builds.
I had success transcoding audio in Gotham monthly Alpha 9, but since that, the transcoding has been removed (?) Really a shame, since I really need this function, and Alpha 9 is getting outdated, with a lot of add-ons not functioning more. So Memphis, you're saying that this will be enabled in Gotham?
It was not removed. It works same as before. Most likely you have set your speaker config to something bigger then 2.0. This causes LPCM decoding to kick in which might just not work for you.

For current gotham versions the following settings are sane defaults which should work for most cases (including transcoding):

SpeakerLayout: 2.0
enable AC3
enable DTS (if receiver supports it)
device "default"
done.
That explains a lot Laugh I must have missed the documentation about the changes in the settings. I always switch to 5.1, and that works in Alpha 9. I will give it a try and hope for the very best. Wish me luck Wink
YAY, it works perfectly! Thanks for the tip, but in my opinion, it doesn't make a lot of sense that I have to configure my system to 2.0 sound, when I have a 5.1 receiver (?) Can someone explain this to me?
*sigh* - yes i can ...

2.0 is the number of channels we are opening in the device. For all passed through audio like DTS and AC3 we need 2 channels (as those 5.1 channels are encoded into 2.0 pcm channels). Setting the speakerlayout higher results in the activation of LPCM. LPCM means XBMC decodes all channels from the 2.0 encoded DTS, AC3 sound (resulting in 6 channels for 5.1) - remaps them according to the audio device and then puts them out as 6 pcm channels (this is 3 times more data then the 2.0 encoded channels from DTS, AC3 passthrough).

Since we have issues with mapping the channels from input format 5.1 to device format 5.1 atm - this may result in silence instead of audio.

I hope this clears it up a bit (and i hope i remember this post for future questions in this direction instead of retyping it everytime *haha*).
FAQ'ized: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...#Audio_2.0
Thx a bunch Ned.
Many many thanks - saved me a bunch a work converting 2.0 - 5.1!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No 5.1 sound from AAC or DTS when transcoding to AC30