What fits my needs?
I Know a lot similar to my question has been posted on this site and others', but I am still not finding a straightforward answer. I am looking to build a PC/Media Server for my living room. This is what I will want for it. I don't want to spend too little and not get what I need or spend too much for shit I will never need. I am close to just going with this.... http://www.tested.com/tech/windows/406-how-to-build-an-awesome-500-windows-home-server/

What I need;
  • 4TB of Storage (1TB for backups; 3TB for media)
  • To be able to use this as my XBMC client to play directly to my TV using an HDMI port
  • Access my files over the internet no matter where I am. I want to be able to watch movies on my phone from my HDDs
  • I want it to be fast, I want it to be a good experience for everyone using it in the living room, on the tvs in the bedroom (Connect by Rasberry Pi's) on the phone and laptops even away from home
  • I also would like to use it as a real computer for web surfing and programs

Thank you for your help.

Have you checked your internet connection's upload speeds? Unless you have really fast internet, streaming over the internet won't really be that great.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
(2013-01-23, 00:23)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Running some kind of RAID is pretty much required with that much data. Combining a HTPC with a NAS is a bad idea. Separate the tasks.

How do you figure? 3TB drives are pretty easy to come by these days. Also, what's the rationale behind separating the tasks of HTPC and NAS (not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious what the actual reasoning is)?

+1 for the advice on seperating NAS and HTPC functions. There is such a wide range of options, so the fun/challenging part is figuring out what you want/need.

For the NAS- Either go with a pre-built nas (ex. Synolgy ds413j), or go with a build your own (ex. Nl40 and unraid)

For he HTPC- You can go with an appliance (ex. Pivos XIOS, atv2) small HTPC (ex. Zotac, Foxconn) or a Raspberry Pi.

(2013-01-23, 01:38)rip_king Wrote:
(2013-01-23, 00:23)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Running some kind of RAID is pretty much required with that much data. Combining a HTPC with a NAS is a bad idea. Separate the tasks.

How do you figure? 3TB drives are pretty easy to come by these days. Also, what's the rationale behind separating the tasks of HTPC and NAS (not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious what the actual reasoning is)?

Most of us want a small and quiet HTPC that will blend into our living rooms - and not sound like a lawnmower when it's working.
Many of us also want a large capacity storage system and don't want to pay over the odds for lots of noise reduction, and it allows us to use large (not very pretty) Tower cases with lots of room for expansion.

Some people even dislike the sound of hard drives and have small SSDs in their HTPC to minimise the mechanical sounds produced.

I have a number of small and quiet HTPCs set-up in various parts of my house, all connected via a network to an unRAID server with 14TB of storage in a cupboard in a hallway (which also has my ADSL router, networked printer etc.) This is away from my main viewing room, so doesn't have to be particularly quiet.

I started with a combined HTPC and storage about 4 years ago. But the noise of the hard drives (and the cooling) and the limitations of capacity meant I soon built a separate server.

Quote:It's also a bad idea to combine a normal computer with a HTPC. Separate your tasks for less frustration.

I disagree with this. While I wouldn't advocate using your HTPC for work or something the OPs requirement to be able to run a Web browser and programs of choice (maybe play games or something on the big screen he's already paid for) is very reasonable. All of my HTPCs have a full OS on them including the one in my theater, and the HTPC in my family room is used more for browsing, email and paying bills, etc... than the computer in my office. While I appreciate the effort that goes into developing them I personally dislike the limitations imposed by Web and email plugins.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What fits my needs?0