• 2(current)
android boxes & android sticks megathread
mk808 is great running xbmc r3 aeon nox skin not mk808b the orginal with finles 1.6 rom
I can recommend the ATV1200.

Just bought one for a friend and i've been setting it up for him. both android and xbmc are working great.

I've just been using xbmc to stream HD 720 content from online sources to my tv. I even streamed 1080 using wifi although it did have to buffer for a minute at the start - my internet connection is only about 3Mbps though so not sure if that buffering was due to using wifi or due to my connection speed.

anyway everything works. the firmware on the box updated itself, and i installed the latest xbmc.apk form pivos.

i did have to faff a bit to get the videos in xbmc to display in full screen (full 'aspect ratio') and also had to faff a bit to get rid of the android bar at the bottom of the screen but i'm no super techy and it was doable with help from folk on this forum etc.
Waiting for this to arrive in My mailbox. http://dx.com/p/gk802-quad-core-android-...rom-177884
Hope it will work nicely Smile
(2013-01-27, 10:47)sanity Wrote: Waiting for this to arrive in My mailbox. http://dx.com/p/gk802-quad-core-android-...rom-177884
Hope it will work nicely Smile

quad core! I didn't realise there were any quad cores on the market yet? Although I must confess I don't know what quad core is, I had just heard people saying they were wanting an android box for xbmc but wanted to wait for the quad core boxes to hit the market.

this quad cose says it's 1.2Ghz and the dual core I just bought (ATV1200) is 1.6Gz so now i'm confused Big Grin

please bookmark the thread and come back and let us know how you got on.
will do. dunno how many more days I'll have to wait before it arrives.
A friend told me this was the one to get. I will also order a usb to lan adapter as I'm not found of wifi with hd-material Smile
GK802+RC11 Quad Core

This is very interesting stick. Sanity do indeed get back to us with reviews on this stick with xbmc. Waiting eagerly
(2013-01-28, 10:23)nero12 Wrote: GK802+RC11 Quad Core

This is very interesting stick. Sanity do indeed get back to us with reviews on this stick with xbmc. Waiting eagerly

I have it. It's great no hw support for xbmc but mx player works, firmware needs more optimisation, but good device overall
(2013-01-28, 15:51)fma965 Wrote:

I have it. It's great no hw support for xbmc but mx player works, firmware needs more optimisation, but good device overall

are you using mx player as an external player in xbmc? or are you using mx player?

any examples of problems with the firmware? what do you use xbmc for?
I can vouch for the ODROID X-2, incredible small factor Android unit. Very minor issues, runs like a champ and for the price - cannot be beat. There's also official (stable M1 build) of CyanogenMod for it.

Be glad to answer any questions regarding it.
(2013-01-28, 17:45)4u2nv6 Wrote: I can vouch for the ODROID X-2, incredible small factor Android unit. Very minor issues, runs like a champ and for the price - cannot be beat. There's also official (stable M1 build) of CyanogenMod for it.

what are a couple of examples of the minor issues?
what is a cyanogenMod ?
where did you get it and what did you pay?
(2013-01-28, 17:45)4u2nv6 Wrote: I can vouch for the ODROID X-2, incredible small factor Android unit. Very minor issues, runs like a champ and for the price - cannot be beat. There's also official (stable M1 build) of CyanogenMod for it.

When you say that it is running like a champ, is it running XBMC in 720p and 1080p without any trouble? Does it also have Google Play store pre--installed?
(2013-01-28, 18:46)thebearnecessit Wrote: what are a couple of examples of the minor issues?
what is a cyanogenMod ?
where did you get it and what did you pay?

Depends on your setup actually. I had issues with my TV and overscan. HardKernel's ROM seemed to hang on heavy network usage, I've heard WIFI is a bit unstable. f you want perfection, this certainly is not there...yet.

Read up on CyanogenMod here, also wiki's available: http://http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

I purchased 3 of them -- with the SoC board, power adapter, eMMC (8GB) it was $149 each. Shipping is really the killer ($30) from Korea.

(2013-01-28, 21:17)funtasticguy Wrote: When you say that it is running like a champ, is it running XBMC in 720p and 1080p without any trouble? Does it also have Google Play store pre--installed?

I haven't tested many formats yet, so can't speak that yet. I've done a fair bit of streaming through online content and occasionally it will stutter or artifacts will appear, nothing to cry about though. Stability with CM 10.1 and XBMC is awesome.

Google Play is not installed (they cannot by law). Installing it is a breeze though, plenty tutorials on that.

(2013-01-28, 16:12)thebearnecessit Wrote:
(2013-01-28, 15:51)fma965 Wrote:

are you using mx player as an external player in xbmc? or are you using mx player?

Yes via XBMC external player, not really problems more of less than good optimization, games are laggy and things like that. XBMC is used for my TV and Films not to big (250gb) via a attached ntfs hdd using paragonNTFS

(2013-01-29, 16:49)fma965 Wrote:
(2013-01-28, 16:12)thebearnecessit Wrote:
(2013-01-28, 15:51)fma965 Wrote: I have it. It's great no hw support for xbmc but mx player works, firmware needs more optimisation, but good device overall

Yes via XBMC external player, not really problems more of less than good optimization, games are laggy and things like that. XBMC is used for my TV and Films not to big (250gb) via a attached ntfs hdd using paragonNTFS

i thought there was a new release of xbmc for android (official release by xbmc) that meant all these devices can now play HD (ie hardware decoding). it was released with the headline "first end user friendly release of xbmc for android".

am I picking that up wrong that this new release is supposed to allow hardware decoding on almost alla ndroid devices? or have you just not tried that release yet?

excuse my ignorance, just trying to wrap my head round all this stuff.
That was all the news blog sites being duped by xbmchub's PR release, thinking it was official, and all it was just an external player build. The REAL hardware decoding experimental build is this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android boxes & android sticks megathread2