• 4(current)
android boxes & android sticks megathread
@thebearnecessit, I also have a minix neo x5 and while I have not tested it fully (no time yet) the libstagefright build works very nicely on it. Last night I tested a 12 GB 1080p mkv on it and it performed well (over the network wirelessly). There was only some stuttering after 44 minutes and after 70 minutes, after pausing and resuming it was alright again. So it's probably a buffering problem (wireless). This can only get better with time I think.
I bought this box because of the 4 usb's and ethernet. (haven't tested the ethernet yet, only wireless)
Pretty happy with this unit! Smile
(2013-02-01, 17:10)thebearnecessit Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 00:04)smiley2billion Wrote: I have a Minix Neo X5 and it's been impressive so for with the libstagefright builds. There are some 1080p MKVs that it doesn't seem to like. I can't seem to get Live TV working (from mediaportal server) without it crashing and the addons don't seem to use the hardware acceleration but in spite of all that I'm still very hopeful that these issues will be ironed out as time goes on. The Neo X5 uses a Mali400 quad core for GPU and a Rockchip 3066 dual core for CPU. The CPU/GPU are very close (if not exactly the same) as what comes with the Pivos XIOS box. With the Neo X5 you do get 16GB of storage, so that's a plus.

Seems there is a linux build for the Pivos XIOS now that works great with XBMC on there so here's hoping we'll see a linux build as well as full android support on the X5 too

so would you recommend the minix neo x5 as an xbmc box? or maybe i should put a new category in the OP for "can't quite recommend it yet, but it will be awesome as xbmc for android matures in the next few weeks/months"?

by the way, can you tell me how you know the addons aren't using hardware acceleration? how can one tell?

I couldn't recommend it to someone expecting a full xbmc experience right out of the box because its not there yet ( is it on any of these ?). However all signs are there that it'll be there in time, I'd go with the new option of 'shows potential' if that makes sense.

As for the streaming with addons, if i open the PBS app and try to play any of their HD streams (new episode of Nova, for example) I get terrible skipping but the older lower quality episodes work fine. It shows this same behavior on the libstagefright builds and the Frodo final, leads me to think that the hw acceleration isn't working for those for some reason.
update the OP, I have a Rikomagic MK802IIIS and it runs XBMC like a dream, note though that the navbar gets stuck at the bottom for now and if you hide it then xbmc just moves down the screen and doesn't go full-screen properly, other than that it works great, faster than it did on my old media center PC (core2duo)
I bought one of the 4GB models of the favi smart stick http://www.favientertainment.com/v/vspfi...index.html

I installed the rooted version of the software (provided and supported by the manufacturer) then installed frodo.

The stick does a pretty good job. certainly is not a power house, but considering the price and the hardware, the fact that I can run spotify or pandora and still browse tv shows and movies through xbmc, I think it does a good job.

One noticeable bug that exists is that there is some poorly programmed USB protocol that makes a wireless keyboard (with a USB receiver) not play nice with xbmc. I have to unplug the USB when turning xbmc on & off.
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
I bought the MK808. It came rooted. I installed full!screen, xbmc (hardware accelerated), and Autostart. I then configured xbmc to read media from my windows shares, setup bluecops repo so I can stream media from abc, cbs, nbc, etc.. Wifi has been stable for me, but I have caused it to reboot a few times by overloading it (downloading movie info while setting up a stream and trying to add another video location at the same time caused it to reboot). But now the system boots up, goes fullscreen, and starts xbmc Media Center Software on startup. It's not perfect, but I'm starting to like it.
Minix X5 comes with mulit channel sound over spdif after chinese new year.

But way more interesting is the picuntu project for the minix x5...... that would enable a xbmcbuntu type of thing!
What device is the best; Geniatech ATV1200 or Pivos DS ?

And why?

Thx by Advance
I would highly recommend mk808b. Google play was already installed plus all the other apps. I have installed XBMC without any issue, wifi works very smoothely plus I have tried few private addons which has no issue at all.
(2013-02-06, 21:20)nafis7777 Wrote: I would highly recommend mk808b. Google play was already installed plus all the other apps. I have installed XBMC without any issue, wifi works very smoothely plus I have tried few private addons which has no issue at all.
How well does it handle 1080p playback?

Here's some interesting info for the GK802

http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/...0&start=20

http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/...=50&t=1584
I have been fiddling around with my GK802 for a few days and from my expirience so far it's a huge dissapointment Sad
I have not own any android sticks before this one so I can only compare it with running XBMC on a iPad 1 , iPhone 4 and iPad 3 and also a Samsung galaxy s3 phone.
This stick is dead slow, I have tried sevaral roms availible both rooted, orignal and the full micro sd images currently availible fon ArmTvech forum.
I have also replace the orginal sd card with a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 micro-sd card wich actually did speed up things a bit. Programs still tends to close and stop responding very often.
The wifi is really slow from time to time. sometimes it works well though... really strange. I tried a usb to lan adapter and I was able to get better lan perfomance this way. Still not able to stream 1080p without issues tough.
I used a logitech dinovo mini keyboard and mouse connected via a Dlink usb hub and this works good.

You'll have to remeber that this stick is still in development and hopefully will perform better in a near future, But if you are like me and want things to work straight ahead with minimal problems along the way, please stay away from this one for now.
I will report back once there are new better roms/os availible, as for now it will collect dust in my drawer Sad
Until you get a quad core cpu, you will not be able to stream 1080p. ;P
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
(2013-02-12, 20:58)lartomar2002 Wrote: Until you get a quad core cpu, you will not be able to stream 1080p. ;P

The CPU has pretty much nothing to do with it. Having a Quad-core won't help you in XBMC because XBMC's video decoding (via FFmpeg) only uses one core. The "trick" to 1080 is hardware video decoding, which is working on a number of Android devices (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005 , as well as several AMLogic devices which use AMLplayer).
(2013-02-12, 20:58)lartomar2002 Wrote: Until you get a quad core cpu, you will not be able to stream 1080p. ;P

FYI gk802 is quad core cpu and gpu but that makes no difference

I can stream 1080p just fine with single and dual core AmLogic SoC.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android boxes & android sticks megathread2