• 5(current)
android boxes & android sticks megathread
OP, if you're still keeping score...

I definitely would not recommend the Pivos Xios DS (sub-variant M3) to anyone. It's just not ready for prime time, in my opinion. If you want hardware acceleration on video playback, you have to use the specially-tweaked version of XBMC that's only available from Pivos (the version straight from XBMC.org has no H/W accel, so playback is torture). Incidentally, video playback of the exact same files using MX Player is silky smooth, so it's not a hardware issue. But the Pivos-tweaked version is behind in some respects. For example, it ignores an advancedsettings.xml file, which is required if you want to run a central library managed by MySQL. You can hook a Logitech K400 USB wireless keyboard to it and even though it's not made for Android, the Android OS interprets the keystrokes as you would expect. However, the Pivos-tweaked version of XBMC misinterprets many keystrokes, so you have to use the K400 with the crappy Pivos remote in hand. I say the remote is crappy because it has a range of about 4 feet. Considering that the Xios DS was built from the ground up expressly to be an Android-powered XBMC media streamer, the maker, Pivos, has done a piss-poor job of achieving its central goal. Maybe 3 or 6 months from how, it'll be the new wunderdevice, but for now, I wouldn't' recommend it to anyone.

I'm going to continue to stick with trying to make the one I have work, but I'd return mine if I could. In order to make mine work in an acceptable fashion, I'm probably going to have to switch the OS from Android to the dedicated XBMC-Ubuntu OS that Pivos has available. But that is not a complete Ubuntu OS, so you can't run any other apps on it. I bought this so that I could have an Android box that could also run Android XBMC and other Android apps. I'm very frustrated. I wish I had never bought this.
thanks for your post soonerlater, i'll update the first post soon.

hopefully posts like your can help others make the right choice that suits them.
Hi all! I just received my G-Box Midnight "clone" android box from DX: http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...ack-164039
The original firmware it came with was not the greatest (a little sluggish and Google Play didn't work). After installing the latest firmware from androidtvbox.us it ran a lot better. Google play also worked fine.
As for XBMC, I installed the XAF build and it runs just fine. Wifi works great, no dropouts in a week that I've been using it. I was experiencing choppiness with 1080p playback over wifi, so I decided to install Static's barebone build.
Now it boots directly into XBMC and I still have access to android. Only problem is I no longer have Google Play, but that's ok, since you can always find and download all your APK files from the web.
So far I'm very satisfied with this box. This build took all the clutter out and everything runs a lot smoother, including HD videos. I would recommend an air mouse with this device though, because the remote sucks!
(2013-02-13, 19:24)soonerlater Wrote: OP, if you're still keeping score...

I definitely would not recommend the Pivos Xios DS (sub-variant M3) to anyone. It's just not ready for prime time, in my opinion. If you want hardware acceleration on video playback, you have to use the specially-tweaked version of XBMC that's only available from Pivos (the version straight from XBMC.org has no H/W accel, so playback is torture). Incidentally, video playback of the exact same files using MX Player is silky smooth, so it's not a hardware issue. But the Pivos-tweaked version is behind in some respects. For example, it ignores an advancedsettings.xml file, which is required if you want to run a central library managed by MySQL. You can hook a Logitech K400 USB wireless keyboard to it and even though it's not made for Android, the Android OS interprets the keystrokes as you would expect. However, the Pivos-tweaked version of XBMC misinterprets many keystrokes, so you have to use the K400 with the crappy Pivos remote in hand. I say the remote is crappy because it has a range of about 4 feet. Considering that the Xios DS was built from the ground up expressly to be an Android-powered XBMC media streamer, the maker, Pivos, has done a piss-poor job of achieving its central goal. Maybe 3 or 6 months from how, it'll be the new wunderdevice, but for now, I wouldn't' recommend it to anyone.

I'm going to continue to stick with trying to make the one I have work, but I'd return mine if I could. In order to make mine work in an acceptable fashion, I'm probably going to have to switch the OS from Android to the dedicated XBMC-Ubuntu OS that Pivos has available. But that is not a complete Ubuntu OS, so you can't run any other apps on it. I bought this so that I could have an Android box that could also run Android XBMC and other Android apps. I'm very frustrated. I wish I had never bought this.

Interesting comments, I don't see why running the Pivos-tweaked version is all that bad. There is a reason for it if you bothered to ask. Something called Frodo feature freeze Smile The Pivos version is ahead of Frodo with respect to some hardware playback features.

Switch the keyboard handler, that will solve your keyboard issues. There's a Pivos forum post about that.

The advancedsettings.xml/profile issue is know and on the list near the top to get fixed. There's also Pivos forum posts about that. You do know why those are present right ? It's code that was added to hide all the xbmc settings that don't make sense and to keep users from borking their setup diddling with them.
(2013-02-13, 23:52)davilla Wrote: ...There is a reason for it if you bothered to ask...

And the reason is?

(2013-02-13, 23:52)davilla Wrote: ...There's a Pivos forum post about that....

...There's also Pivos forum posts about that....

If you'd provided links to said posts, that would have been very helpful. Instead you just come across as being smug and condescending. If you can't be helpful without being snide, feel free to refrain from trying. There are others here, as there are in any forum, who have a genuine desire to help people.
(2013-02-14, 01:26)soonerlater Wrote: And the reason is?

(2013-02-13, 23:52)davilla Wrote: Something called Frodo feature freeze Smile The Pivos version is ahead of Frodo with respect to some hardware playback features.
(2013-02-14, 01:31)fma965 Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 01:26)soonerlater Wrote: And the reason is?

(2013-02-13, 23:52)davilla Wrote: Something called Frodo feature freeze Smile The Pivos version is ahead of Frodo with respect to some hardware playback features.

Thank you, fma965 for clarifying that. I'd assumed that the Pivos-tweaked version was produced to let it work to greater end results than running the generic version that you can download from XBMC.org, but didn't know (and don't know) what specifically is better about it. If perchance you know where the Pivos tweaks are documented, I'd go read up on it. Again, thanks for your help.
(2013-02-13, 23:52)davilla Wrote: Switch the keyboard handler, that will solve your keyboard issues. There's a Pivos forum post about that.

Can anyone suggest a search strategy to find such posts? Searching PivosForums.com for "keyboard" and "handler" produces three hits, but none are relevant. Perhaps "keyboard handler" aren't the correct search terms?

(2013-02-13, 23:52)davilla Wrote: The advancedsettings.xml/profile issue is know and on the list near the top to get fixed. There's also Pivos forum posts about that.

I started searching PivosForums.com several days ago for "advancedsettings.xml." None of the posts that mention "advancedsettings.xml" mention a "known issue" that is being fixed. Can anyone point to a bug list that's being worked?
(2013-02-14, 01:26)soonerlater Wrote: Instead you just come across as being smug and condescending. If you can't be helpful without being snide, feel free to refrain from trying. There are others here, as there are in any forum, who have a genuine desire to help people.

I am smug and condescending, after all, I did clean up the mess that was OSX, was a prime mover in bringing XBMC to the ATV, ATV2, iOS, ARM, Android ( and a few more that will never see the light of day). You should bow down and bless the ground I walk upon. LOL. That's a joke son Smile

Seriously, look to the left and count the number of posts I've made. If I was not involved as an XBMC dev, you would not even be complaining about XBMC on Android in the 1st place as XBMC on Android would not exist today.

Your post is just insulting and rude to those that have worked months and months to bring XBMC to Android. Does Pivos have some issues, yes. Are they being worked on, yes. Will they get fixed, yes.
Wink 
(2013-02-14, 02:48)davilla Wrote: If I was not involved as an XBMC dev, you would not even be complaining about XBMC on Android in the 1st place as XBMC on Android would not exist today.

Your post is just insulting and rude to those that have worked months and months to bring XBMC to Android. Does Pivos have some issues, yes. Are they being worked on, yes. Will they get fixed, yes.

Amen!

I would like to take a moment and send my gratitude to all the devs who have been working so hard to bring XBMC to Android. Keep up the great work!
Davilla, we really do appreciate all your hard work and effort. You're a coding genius! Porting XBMC to Android has been tough, but we do know it is getting there and will ultimately get there. Many of us are looking forward to the finished product. We just need to be patient until it gets done.

Thanks again!
I too would like to thank all the dev for all their hard work especially for the porting of XBMC to android. I will be getting my OUYA in s couple of months. Being a noob to XBMC I have to admit that I do feel some hesitation when posting a thread for fear of being intimidated by some of the moderators or senior members. I try to find answers by using the search function, the wiki or google but there are times I can not find a answer to my questions, probably because I have not used the correct terms. So, when I finally do post I am prepared for the the kind of replies that seem to be sop on this forum.
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
There's a mixed bag on this forum, there are plenty of really helpful folk, and i never have any fear of posting because so many people have been kind enough to help me. You do get others though that are techie-snobs, and you can feel their distain towards noobs in their replies. but that just goes with the territory. they are so technically minded that they probably can't fathom how some poeple can be so non-technical.

in the case of davilla, he keeps his posts short to the point of enigmatic Big Grin I can see how folk could read him as rude, but he posts a lot of replies and helps a lot of folk.

when i reply to help someone i tend to be more thorough because i remember what it was like starting out and I want xbmc to be usable by non-techies. but if davilla was to write long detailed replies then he would have no time left for coding!

anyway back on topic chaps...one person has said they wouldn't recommend the XIOS, but that is only one person so far that has said that and its still one of the most popular devices for people wanting an xbmc set top box.
(2013-02-14, 02:48)davilla Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 01:26)soonerlater Wrote: Instead you just come across as being smug and condescending. If you can't be helpful without being snide, feel free to refrain from trying. There are others here, as there are in any forum, who have a genuine desire to help people.

I am smug and condescending, after all, I did clean up the mess that was OSX, was a prime mover in bringing XBMC to the ATV, ATV2, iOS, ARM, Android ( and a few more that will never see the light of day). You should bow down and bless the ground I walk upon. LOL. That's a joke son Smile

Seriously, look to the left and count the number of posts I've made. If I was not involved as an XBMC dev, you would not even be complaining about XBMC on Android in the 1st place as XBMC on Android would not exist today.

LOL. I love that. I think he might consider himself spanked.

For the record I have a Minix X5 and I would not recommend it at this time. It's too fussy and the chipset doesn't seem to have the support of the Pivos variants just yet. After a few weeks of tinkering it's little more than a paperweight awaiting further enhancements.
I'm looking at the possibility of replacing my Win 7 HTPC build with an android device and NAS.

Other than the obvious loss of Windows OS compatibility and functionality, do these devices have any disadvantages when it comes to audio/video file playback? Are there any things it can't handle e.g. DTS, 5.1, etc?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android boxes & android sticks megathread2