32 GB enough space for htpc?
I recently got a 32 GB ssd and was wondering if windows 7 64 bit, xbmc, chrome, and less than 1 GB of background images would fit ok? I know that 64bit takes a bit more install space but was thinking maybe I could load up on ram and use that as temp storage?
I have a 64 GB SSD and I'm running on 24 GB at the moment. Personally, I think 32 would be a bit tight. The price delta between 32 and 64 seems to be about $10-$15 at Microcenter... which is why I've gone with 64 every time.

I'm sure you can uninstall features of Windows that you won't use and save a few GB here and there if you *need* to make it work. But if you are buying new and can afford the extra $10, go with the bigger disk.
64GB is the way to go with windows 7. I am right there with twojciac. I am just shy of 30gb right now with win7 ultimate 64bit, and xbmc. My thumbnails folder is 5gb alone right now.
I'd probably got with a 64GB or 128GB. (For my 2 most recent builds, I went with 128GB just to be safe.... who knows what i may end up installing on them a few months from now that may require more space....)
I agree with the above posts.

You can fit what you described on the drive, but not much else. If your drive is advertised as 32gb, the actual space will be smaller (since a kb is 1024 bytes, etc.). Just plan on storing all extra apps and data on a spinning drive.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Linux would certainly fit (xbmcbuntu needs only 4G).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
just want to post that I did install windows on the 32gb SSD, and I now have everything setup and installed and have only used up around 17gb. I disabled hibernation and change the pagefile to only 1gb, but everything works great and fits as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
32 GB enough space for htpc?0