XBMC Forum Rules: A Draft
There's remarkably little comment on these rules. Alright, initiating a clock. If there are no objections, they go formally active in 48 hours from NOW.
Please change
Quote:When posting a log or other lengthy code in the forum, please use a paste site, as described in the debug log wiki.
to

Quote:When posting a log or other lengthy code in the forum,you must use a paste site, as described in the Debug Log wiki. No log snippets are allowed on the forum

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hopefully not too late for a couple of comments:
  • Maybe something in the Posting section about not hijacking other threads?
  • Regarding Martijn's suggestion, "No log snippets are allowed...", how about "No logs or log snippets are allowed..."? Wouldn't want someone to say, "but the rules didn't say anything about posting the full log here". Smile I understand not wanting people to post log snippets in the forum in lieu of full logs on paste sites, but would it be OK if someone posted a link to the full log on a paste site and also posted a snippet on the forum to highlight the part of the full log one should focus on?
(2013-01-29, 21:21)artrafael Wrote: ..... but would it be OK if someone posted a link to the full log on a paste site and also posted a snippet on the forum to highlight the part of the full log one should focus on?

not a good idea as it fills the forun DB with useless info that gets searched and you get the whole lot of false positives... just my $0.02
What's a snippet, though? I think the current "please" wording will be just as effective in the end.
(2013-01-30, 00:42)Ned Scott Wrote: What's a snippet, though? I think the current "please" wording will be just as effective in the end.

I doubt that. I say no snippets.
(2013-01-29, 21:30)amet Wrote:
(2013-01-29, 21:21)artrafael Wrote: ..... but would it be OK if someone posted a link to the full log on a paste site and also posted a snippet on the forum to highlight the part of the full log one should focus on?

not a good idea as it fills the forun DB with useless info that gets searched and you get the whole lot of false positives... just my $0.02
besides most of the time they get the wrong part (not their fault usually as they don't know what we are interested in).

If they want to point it out they can provide the line number

Oh, I think we should strongly and firmly encourage it, but it doesn't really seem like a "rule" kind of thing. Like I don't think anyone would go around posting log snippets to be a wild child :D
Rules are in effect now.
The following, should be re-added and emphasized in some manner.

Code:
* '''Be patient'''. XBMC's user base is global. Please wait 24 hours before bumping your own post unless you have new information to add.

Or not idk why it was removed, personally as a user someone who tries to help or nudge ppl in right direction, is a massive put off when I open a thread and see only a few hours have passed and ppl are asking anyone? As if we have an obligation to be at their service 24 hours a day.

This should go under general conduct if you cant be patient or clearly not bothered with research in most cases.

If its really urgent try IRC. which should also be somewhere in rules, IRC that is, in some section in rules.

uNi
(2013-02-03, 19:46)uNiversal Wrote: The following, should be re-added and emphasized in some manner.

Code:
* '''Be patient'''. XBMC's user base is global. Please wait 24 hours before bumping your own post unless you have new information to add.

Or not idk why it was removed, personally as a user someone who tries to help or nudge ppl in right direction, is a massive put off when I open a thread and see only a few hours have passed and ppl are asking anyone? As if we have an obligation to be at their service 24 hours a day.

It's in there under General Conduct.
Er so it is, I must be blind Wink

uNi
@uNiversal now that the rules are official, you know they apply to everyone?
Im not quite sure what you mean by that.
(2013-02-03, 21:41)uNiversal Wrote: Im not quite sure what you mean by that.

Sure you do Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Forum Rules: A Draft1