Full screen fps changes, then all video lags after a couple of days
Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I know something like this has been discussed on here before, but I can't find the specific threads, if it's the same issue.

When I let my XMBC sit for a couple of days, no sleeping just dim screensaver, the video playback gets jerky. When I reboot everything is fine again until a couple days.

I've noticed also my System Info->Summary shows my actual FPS has changed from the set desktop resolution. I keep it at 1920x1080@60Hz. In this particular screenshot it shows my FPS has went up to 62.5 after just a day and a half. I closed XBMC and ran it again then it was back to 60Hz. Usually after a few days the FPS will end up at around 48. And at that time you can really notice the video lag even scrolling left and right through the main menu. The menu scroll is just not 60Hz smooth anymore and video playback reflects this also.

I have Catalyst v12.6 and Frodo RC2. I just updated to v13.1 and Frodo RC3 to see if this gets any better. I'll know in a couple of days.

Before XBMC Restart

After XBMC Restart
my fps are not at constant 60 too, they jump a bit around the 60, even after a fresh boot and run xbmc.
i´m still on cat 12.10. maybe we should try to force vsync in CCC ?!

dont know if this get worse by time, cause i power off when i go to bed...
Ryzen5 2400g @gigabyte AorusM
Marantz AV7702/MM8003 Combo
Philips 55PFL8007k/12
Sony VW-270ES
(2013-01-26, 23:20)bimme Wrote: my fps are not at constant 60 too, they jump a bit around the 60, even after a fresh boot and run xbmc.
i´m still on cat 12.10. maybe we should try to force vsync in CCC ?!

dont know if this get worse by time, cause i power off when i go to bed...
Mine definitely gets worse over time. It has for quite some time now, maybe a year or so. I've seen mine dance around at times too. But when it displayed 62.50 that was a constant dead-on. My CCC 3D App Settings refresh is already set to Always On. Not sure if it's a driver problem, XBMC problem, or a mix of both. I have very casual viewing habits, maybe I'll watch a couple TV episodes a day. But it seems when it just sits there at the episode list or the main menu it just fouls up something while idle.
So has anyone seen this issue?
Here's another screen shot after just 4 days of uptime.
I've updated to the latest build and the latest video drivers this time.
What's up with the 31.25 FPS? The menu scroll lags and the video playback freezes/skips.

Here's my FPS after just 6 days. Using latest XBMC v12.0. What's up with 46.87 FPS? It seems to start at 60, then go to 62.50, 31.25, 46.87. And it's a stable dead-on 46.87 FPS. Video playback is of course very jerky.

I did get this on my Revo 3700 after installing RC2. I went back to an older Nvidia Driver from 2011 which I had previously used before upgrading to Win8 and disabled on board Realtek audio and did a fresh install and it seemed to fix it.
I also have this problem after XBMC has been running for a while on Windows 8 (happens in 7 as well), Nvidia, ends up at either 58 or 62.5Hz closing XBMC and restarting it again gives 60Hz
Well after 9 days it was unresponsive. I was able to navigate through a couple menus and it even made the feedback noise, but it was still in the screen saver dim mode. After a couple menu changes I couldn't get anything more out of it. Task manager wouldn't even show, XBMC was full screen in the foreground. I had to restart the whole computer.

I now installed Catalyst v11.12 to see how things work out. I guess we'll see if things are the same after a day and a half.
I have also noticed this on my setup. Running a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 with 4g ram.
Has done it on previous machines with different hardware.I believe it's something in XBMC. I have just reserved myself to restart every few days. Do you have your remote set up to be able to start XBMC? Best thing you can do..
DMc
Hi all,

exactly the same thing here. Running Frodo final on Windows 8 Pro on a Shuttle XS35GT (ION). After some uptime >1 or 2 days, framerate goes down and XBMC becomes more and more inresponsive. Also video playback judder starts just then but without framedrops showing up in the "o" info screen... Restarting XBMC cures this for another one or two days...

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
If you're really clutching at straws, it's a long shot but you could try the advice at http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_...spx#521405 - there's an issue with Windows and certain combinations of hardware that causes timing problems, it's happened in XBMC and MCE before now (to be honest it normally happens when resuming from sleep tho)

"Start, type cmd, right click, Run as Administrator.
Type bcdedit /set useplatformclock true and press enter.
Type bcdedit /enum and press enter.
Verify that useplatformclock is on/true.
Restart the computer then test playback behavior."

I think what you're experiencing is a 'bug' that has been around for a few years now but no-ones ever determined whether it's GPU / Windows / XBMC that's at fault.. this subject has popped up in one name or another several times before http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116224

If nothing else seems to fix it, you can always cheese it by creating a scheduled task to kill and restart XBMC at 0300 every morning or something? (I know I'd love to get to the bottom of why this happens too but as it's been around for so long I haven't got particularly high hopes) - if I remember correctly the debug logs have never shown anything valid but if someone really wants to get the attention of the dev's, you're best enabling debug logging until the problem arises and then submit a bug with the log.
Thanks for this information. I will check, if the mentioned workaround will help in my case.

Otherwise I'll take plan B and restart XBMC whenever resuming from standby...

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
Well Catalyst v11.12 made no difference. The FPS was back up to 62.50 when I checked on it after 15 hours. It got worse as the days went on. After about 4 or 5 days XBMC actually refused to accept input from my USB keyboard, so my remote didn't work either. Not sure if my Antec iMON IR software is to blame for that. I also tried to enable WASAPI audio instead of DirectX because I've read some people blame it on audio, but that didn't keep the FPS stable either, and I miss about the 1st 1/4 second of audio when I move the menu bar around. If I let the audio "rest" for a couple seconds the audio that plays next misses the first 1/4 second. Like it has the "silent stream bug" using WASAPI.

I checked to see if I have the 'useplatformclock' enabled, and it is. The post from thread 116224 link above has a lot of my ramblings and testings from back in August of last year. I found clockres.exe to display interesting results running numerous other programs too.
I've got the same problem here, xmbc is getting laggy after a few days : i need to reboot it and then everything goes back fine and smooth...
I have had this problem for a long time as well as well as many others

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116224
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69245
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=168652

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full screen fps changes, then all video lags after a couple of days2