Brainstorming ideas for the XBMC Wiki
Maybe something like this on the front page to keep things simple.

i think there should also be a framework section (maybe in the developers info as per zags pics above). this can include frameworks for php-json/javascript-json/python-json/etc and how to integrate into addons.

the current wiki json examples are somewhat helpful, but im having a hard time incorporate them into a webpage, and figuring out proper syntax for certain commands using json retrospect. Im a hobbyist programmer, so i learn by working examples that the community puts out, but aside from the below 2 projects, which arent really being kept up, i havnt found an easy way to build an interface without re-creating the framework from scratch.

https://github.com/kaigoh/XBMC-PHP
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90465&page=7

ive recently seen more questions about this topic in the "web interfaces", "supplementary tools", and "feature request" sub-fourms, and figured this would be the best place for a request for better support.
(2013-05-29, 18:40)zag Wrote: Maybe something like this on the front page to keep things simple.

We can do that, too. The basic idea is already 4 groups anyways, so the main page would just be leading into a page with just one of those groups. As long someone can look at the main page and have a logical target to click on for where they eventually want to end up.
I think the first step a new user need to be fully aware of is the structure of their files followed by how to add those files to the library. If a new user has the correct structure and is able to correctly get those titles into XBMC, they can start to use XBMC and not be frustrated with trying to find out why things are missing or scraped wrong. I'm speaking from showing new users XBMC and trying to explain that if file are all setup correctly then the import into the library (which often has to be explained also) will work perfectly.
I think the absolute first thing a new user needs to know is what the library is (conceptually) and how library view differs from file view. That probably seems so basic to most of us, but to some new users it's probably the first stumbling block.
With a lot of the navigation stuff getting done, I'm going to start to tackle some of the proposed how-to's. If anyone wants to help make some of these, feel free to give me a buzz and I can show you how I've been making them so far.

I guess I need to make a how-to on how to make how-to's :P
My two cents. A lot of video guides. I myself think there is no better saying, in these cases than: seeing is believing.
Short clips showing how to do things in XBMC. A picture is worth a thousands words, and seeing it done increases the confidence the guides are working. Also many details and initial conditions that take long to explain in words are easily resolved with videos. And finally, having them in a massive cloudy place like YouTube will help disseminate the word, more than having them in a custom site.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Brainstorming ideas for the XBMC Wiki1