Shortcut to Home Menu on XBMC ATV2 via remote?
I've finally got XBMC Eden 11.0 setup on firmware 5.0.2 (iOS 5) running on my Apple TV 2. I am about to clone the entire setup to another ATV2. Besides from a couple of the kids' Barbie movies having framerate cadance & interlacing issues with video playback judder, everything seems to be working okay.

I am trying to simplify the home screen now so my wife and kids don't get confused and accidentally muck things up. I've heard about "kiosk mode" for the Aeon Nox skin, but that skin is not even close to stable on ATV2 -- crashes within every few minutes of usage. So I am sticking with Confluence.

One problem I noticed is that with the "Favorites" I have setup that some of the drill pretty far down in the "Library" menu. For example, making "Barbie Collection" a favorite for the kids means that accidentally selecting it requires about 5 clicks of the "Menu" button to get back to the home screen as they ascend from Barbie Collection, to a list of all sets, to the library menu of genres, sets, files, etc.... and finally back to the main menu.

I'd rather not have all that hierarchy visible to my kids. If they click Barbie and change their mind and decide to pick something else, I'd like "Menu" to take them right back to the home screen. It is confusing when one click takes you into something, but you can't get out of that something without multiple clicks.

I notice that nice "Home" icon in the top-left of the screen. However, I see know way to reach it with the remote control. It seems to be there for a mouse or touch interface. Clicking left brings up "View Options" and clicking right makes them go away. No amount of clicking "Up" and "Down" will get me to that home icon.

So is there some solution to my problem? Is there a one-click shortcut back to home? Better-yet, is there a way to make favorites return to the home screen when you back out of them with the "Menu" button?

Thanks in advance.
(2013-01-29, 01:19)BC2009 Wrote: I've finally got XBMC Eden 11.0 setup on firmware 5.0.2 (iOS 5) running on my Apple TV 2. I am about to clone the entire setup to another ATV2. Besides from a couple of the kids' Barbie movies having framerate cadance & interlacing issues with video playback judder, everything seems to be working okay.

I am trying to simplify the home screen now so my wife and kids don't get confused and accidentally muck things up. I've heard about "kiosk mode" for the Aeon Nox skin, but that skin is not even close to stable on ATV2 -- crashes within every few minutes of usage. So I am sticking with Confluence.

One problem I noticed is that with the "Favorites" I have setup that some of the drill pretty far down in the "Library" menu. For example, making "Barbie Collection" a favorite for the kids means that accidentally selecting it requires about 5 clicks of the "Menu" button to get back to the home screen as they ascend from Barbie Collection, to a list of all sets, to the library menu of genres, sets, files, etc.... and finally back to the main menu.

I'd rather not have all that hierarchy visible to my kids. If they click Barbie and change their mind and decide to pick something else, I'd like "Menu" to take them right back to the home screen. It is confusing when one click takes you into something, but you can't get out of that something without multiple clicks.

I notice that nice "Home" icon in the top-left of the screen. However, I see know way to reach it with the remote control. It seems to be there for a mouse or touch interface. Clicking left brings up "View Options" and clicking right makes them go away. No amount of clicking "Up" and "Down" will get me to that home icon.

So is there some solution to my problem? Is there a one-click shortcut back to home? Better-yet, is there a way to make favorites return to the home screen when you back out of them with the "Menu" button?

Thanks in advance.

I think you want to look into using smart playlists. This will give you the ability to create your "Barbie Collection" on the Home menu and then go back to the home screen when the menu button is pressed. Also, the Transparency! skin has kiosk mode. I use that skin on my iPad1 (which has the same process and RAM as the Apple TV 2) without issue, very stable.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2013-01-29, 02:19)winestock Wrote: I think you want to look into using smart playlists. This will give you the ability to create your "Barbie Collection" on the Home menu and then go back to the home screen when the menu button is pressed. Also, the Transparency! skin has kiosk mode. I use that skin on my iPad1 (which has the same process and RAM as the Apple TV 2) without issue, very stable.

I will check out the Transparency skin. However, I am using Smart Playlists for movies matching "Kids" genre between 30 and 64 min running time as well as another for between 45 and 90 min running time. Both of those Smart Playlists are in my favorites. However, when I select those favorites the "Menu" button does not take me back to the home screen. Instead, the menu button starts ascending the Playlist menu showing the options to view or create more playlists. This is not what I want. I want to know how to make it go right back to the home menu. If there is a way that would be great.
I tried the Transparency ski and it was really slow with regards to responsiveness. I upgraded to Frodo and I can see that Home icon in the bottom right of the screen but there is no discernible way to select it. Pressing right brings in the view options menu or activates the scrollbar. Clicking down simply scrolls whatever lists being presented.
I'd like to know if there's a way to select that home button, or otherwise shortcut to the home menu. Clicking the menu button 50x to navigate back to home is a pain.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shortcut to Home Menu on XBMC ATV2 via remote?0