Req Subtitle Location Remember
Video 
Dear Developers,
Is it possible for you to add a feature so that the movie remembers the locations of the subtitles which were selcted, for the next time too.
Do you mean the location on screen (e.x. left,right,bottom) or the location of the subtitle file. Well both is possible already afaik.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The location of the file on the disk.
Whenever I open a video, I have to browse for the subtitles every time.
P.S I am using the latest Frodo 12 on Windows.
put the subtitles into the same folder like the movie and name it the same as the movie file and the available subtitles will be shown in xbmc as if they were embedded into the movie file.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I prefer keeping all my subtitles in a separate subtitles folder. Also wouldn't it be better if the subtitle location on the disk was remembered?
i don't think this is a missing feature tbh. You have either found a bug or something else is wrong. Though i'm not familiar with this feature (meaning having a central folder for all subs) - so either wait until someone who knows that code comments or just describe how exactly to reproduce that issue.
moved to General help and support
I would second this request. It would be very useful if the player remembered which subtitle I browsed to and selected if I for some reason have to stop playback. For many quick flicks I would prefer not to be forced to always rename and move the subtitle file. Everything else when it comes to video and audio settings are remembered for individual files as far as I can see, so why not the subtitle file?

edit: Saw a note on how to reproduce further up - well, have the matching subtitle but with a non matching name, in the same folder as the video or somewhere else. Start playback, pause, go to the audio settings and browse for the subtitle and continue playback - now with subtitles. If you then for some reason stop the playback, you have to start over and browse for the subtitle file again when you continue to watch the video.

using Kodi RC2 on linux
Kodi is not currently (and has never been) designed for this. It would require a database change to remember which external subtitle files are associated. Currently the name of the subtitle has to be the same as the main movie file name, plus some extensions (e.g. Movie.mkv and Movie-yourlanguage.srt).

I'm certainly not discarding the idea, but as we're in feature freeze, I think this feature could be explored for Kodi 15.
Aha, OK.

I got a little tricked by the mentioning above that it was probably a bug, and could have sworn it worked when I first started to use XBMC (Frodo). I better make an official feature request if the bug report can't be changed into one directly. Thanks!
i'll move this thread to feature request section
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(edit: Didn't think of that I was watching something on a network share that only has read access... I'll leave the following since it still applies to that scenario.) Naturally this could be applied to subtitles downloaded via a plugin too... I just discovered that if playback is stopped you have to download such subtitles again when you continue to watch, despite the correct subtitle already exists in the temp folder for the plugin.

I was a bit surprised of this, since I assumed that a central folder was used for downloaded subtitles, one that always were checked for matches, and that the plugin renamed the subtitles automatically. This might be a smarter way than putting subtitle location in a database since the basic functionality seems to be there already, with a fixed subtitle storage location, but it would of course require the plugin to have access to that folder and to rename the files appropriately.

(edit note - this is still an useful idea I think, treating manually selected subtitles as downloaded ones in a custom location:)

Maybe this is the way for using manually selected subtitles too? That selecting them automatically copies them to the central subtitle folder and renames them? I guess using a compressed location for storage could be used since it would take up very little space then.
Out of interest why would you not want to have the subtitles stored with the relevant video? I would have thought that this allowed cross platform support (ie I want to use VLC on my laptop not XBMC on my TV). Having the subtitles in a central location would mean having to manage them and not having an obvious link to a particular file. This would be especially true if you extend it to TV shows.
Just for ease of use as mentioned above - "For many quick flicks I would prefer not to be forced to always rename and move the subtitle file." The last few times this has been a problem is for files I'm going to delete right afterwards.

Often the video is downloaded in it's own folder and the subtitle ends up one folder down, or it is in the same folder but with a non matching name, and I would simply like to be able to just select that subtitle for playback without any more hassle. I admit it's not much extra work that is needed, and it's not often this have been a problem, but when it happens it's irritating and feels like unnecessary work. Everything else is remembered automatically - aspect ratio, color settings, de-interlacing, audio tweaks etc. - all those settings are stored for each video individually, so why not the subtitle? Compare it to if volume were to reset to zero each time you stopped playback, and you'd have to increase it to the level you had just before, every time you started to watch something...
I would like to bump this thread:

I'm streaming all my media over the internet using https. I tried nfs/smb over vpn and also webdav.
http(s) streaming is the only protocol that allows fast enough throughput (even if I'm on a 200 Mbps link, go figure !) ...

The only problem is that I'm not able to save the subtitles with the source files because they'r obviously read-only.

This is why I woul like to set an alternative download folder (already possible) but have that location remembered, so I don't have to download the subtitle each time I watch the same file ...

Unless someone has another idea, I woul sitll like to request this as a feature ...

Thanks,

Edd--

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitle Location Remember0