Content scraper malfunction
I noticed a bug on Frodo and Gotham versions using Raspbmc with clean installs, I don't know if this bug affects the entire XBMC versions.

It happens when I add movie content with "The Movie Database Scraper" on USB hard disk, if I set the content inside a directory the initial scan goes right, but when I update content adding more films, the scraper doesn't detect new films automatically. However, if I set the content on hard disk root, and I add new films to the HDD, they are detected and added to the library automatically.

I tried to reproduce this bug adding content through LAN network, setting content from my Mac to the RPI on directories inside a hard disk, always works properly adding new films to the library, regardless if I set content on hard disk root, inside directories or subdirectories, so this bug only affects to USB hard disks content.

All tests were done with option "Update library on startup" active.
Nobody has this issue?

Just tried this with OpenELEC, same bug here.
Probably what is happening is that when you add then inside a directory, the mtime/ctime of the directory isn't being updated?

If that happens, XBMC won't detect that the directory has changed so won't re-scan.

A simple solution is adding a folder (anything will do) inside that folder - that'll force it to use the "slow" hash method.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

which format is your USB stick in, FAT32? NTFS? extFAT? Tried using same format as on the HDD in case it differs? Shouldn't be an issue, in general, but who knows, maybe some format has issues with mtime/ctime like jmarshall mentioned.
Firstly thanks for your feedback Nerd

@jmarshall, It works!! I created an empty directory inside my movies directory and now it is updating the library on every boot.
You mentioned this is a simple solution, may be an alternative one editing some file/s or installing something on XBMC?

@da-anda, At this moment I'm using ExFat because is fully compatible between Linux and Mac and allows ≥ 4GB files.
jdelmoral: so extFAT filesystem? Mind giving an example of the exact filestructure from the root to your movies?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(2014-06-12, 23:45)jmarshall Wrote: so extFAT filesystem? Mind giving an example of the exact filestructure from the root to your movies?

I confirm is ExFat. This is what sudo fdisk -l drops (running Raspbian):

Could you please mention if there are another way to solve the bug without adding an empty directory into movies dir?
There's not, no.

Next time you add a file, note the date on the folder before and after adding it. You should notice that it doesn't change.

Confirmation of that would be good.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I will check on next update. If I rename empty directory with a dot before the title to hide it, will be ok?
Maybe - not completely sure to be honest (we may filter out hidden folders before we get that far) - worth a go I guess.

Ok I updated my library with one film, scraper detected and added it successfully, but date of movies folder didn't change.

So, to clarify my thinking, what disk formats are working properly with XBMC scrapers? I mean, which ones doesn't need to add an empty folder to "patch" detection of new videos?
Anything where the folder time doesn't update when items are added to it. If the folder contains only files, we rely on that (to save hitting the folders on rescan).

Thanks for your help Jonathan!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Content scraper malfunction0