• 4(current)
Release Picture Slideshow Screensaver
This update seems to have fixed my issues, thanks for that! Also, love the ability to display the picture names, we use family photos on the TV at my parents' house and now I can just get the image name the next time Mom or Dad wants to see 'that image' again. Much easier than going through hundreds of pictures to find the one they wanted to see again.
(2013-02-25, 01:36)ronie Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 01:33)J_K_M_A_N Wrote: Have you tested 0.1.0 with MySQL? I tried it on an Apple TV and Openelec (both running with a MySQL database) and both errored out on me. I was going to try it at my mother in laws (without MySQL) to see if that was the problem. Just haven't had a chance yet. Should it work with MySQL?

J_K_M_A_N

nope, not using MySQL here.
gimme a debug log and i'll check.

Here is the log. It is on an Apply TV2 running 12.0 final. I installed the plugin via zip file, turned on debug and went to the settings and tried to create the cache. Not sure if there is enough info there or not. Let me know if you need any other logs or anything.

J_K_M_A_N
(2013-02-26, 19:09)J_K_M_A_N Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 01:36)ronie Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 01:33)J_K_M_A_N Wrote: Have you tested 0.1.0 with MySQL? I tried it on an Apple TV and Openelec (both running with a MySQL database) and both errored out on me. I was going to try it at my mother in laws (without MySQL) to see if that was the problem. Just haven't had a chance yet. Should it work with MySQL?

J_K_M_A_N

nope, not using MySQL here.

Here is the log. It is on an Apply TV2 running 12.0 final. I installed the plugin via zip file, turned on debug and went to the settings and tried to create the cache. Not sure if there is enough info there or not. Let me know if you need any other logs or anything.

J_K_M_A_N

i'm afraid i need more info...

you asked me if it worked with mysql, so i assumed you're using either the music or video fanart setting ?

now, you mention, you're trying to create a cache.. which only works with a picture folder.

what error do you get?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-02-26, 11:14)zecoj Wrote:
(2013-02-24, 23:54)ronie Wrote: yup, sound like xbmc is caching your images (at a low rez) the first time.
then on subsequent runs of the screensaver, it uses the cached ones.

i'm not sure if there's a way to disable it, but it's not something the screensaver can do.
Thanks for that. Any workaround that you can think of? I can't recall this happening in Eden. The only thing I can think of the time being is to flush the cache every time xbmc starts, which would be very ugly...

hmm. what os are you using?
are there any image related settings in your advancedsettings.xml file?

+ Debug Log please Smile
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-02-26, 21:50)ronie Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 19:09)J_K_M_A_N Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 01:36)ronie Wrote: nope, not using MySQL here.

J_K_M_A_N

you asked me if it worked with mysql, so i assumed you're using either the music or video fanart setting ?

now, you mention, you're trying to create a cache.. which only works with a picture folder.

what error do you get?

I am using it for an image folder. I wasn't sure if the whole userdata folder gets pointed to the other system or what with MySQL. That was why I mentioned it in the first place.

When I press on create cache, it says building cache but then shows an error right after that. The error just says script error. It doesn't say a line number or anything. Here is another debug log. I started it up and turned on debug and tried again to create the cache twice. Got the error both times. Then I shut debug off and turned it off. Hopefully there is something there that will help track it down. Thanks for all the help.

J_K_M_A_N
Thank you for your work, it's a very funny add- on but I'm a bit annoyed because I just install Frodo so I play with the numerous options, So I try to use Slideshow with a folder with a lot of different pictures.
But then I realize that all this pictures have been pasted in the thumbnail folder... I'm a bit angry to loose 3Gbits just a test.
Now I must search in thumbnail to delete all these copies...
Is there any way not to use thumbnail for that ?
I hadn't noticed that, that does kinda suck. Does this only happen when using the cache option? I was wondering why I had a 8 GB thumbnail folder Big Grin
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
(2013-03-01, 19:21)Raytestrak Wrote: I hadn't noticed that, that does kinda suck. Does this only happen when using the cache option? I was wondering why I had a 8 GB thumbnail folder Big Grin

nah, the cache option means the addon will save a directory listing of your pictures to a text file.

the caching of images is done by xbmc, the screensaver has no influence/control over it.
With the most recent Slideshow Screensaver changes it’s really working great for me. I have XBMC setup to automatically start a music playlist when first invoked and then the screensaver kicks a few minutes later when it sits idle. The combination of great music and the slideshow’s visuals populated from my digital image collection really draws people into watching more than I anticipated. I like the Ken Burns (pan and zoom) effect the best. I now have it implemented on four XBMC boxes in the house and everyone loves it. Thanks for all the great work that went into it.

While I’m completely satisfied I do have a few more suggestions that would not only be icing on the cake for me but maybe others could appreciate these features also:

- It would be nice if it could have an option to display on the screen who is in the picture from the people/face XMP metadata tagging capabilities. There are apparently two standards the Windows Live Photo Gallery method and Face Region standard of the Metadata Working Group (Picasa).

- How about using the Artist Slideshow image repository to display some pictures mixed in for the current playing artist when there is music playing. An ideal scenario might be having a selectable percentage of slideshow pictures from Artist Slideshow (say 10 or 20% for example) or another idea would be to have the album cover picture on the slideshow do a mini slideshow of the current cover art and also artist pictures, maybe alternating back and forth between the cover and a picture.

- Add some variety to the slideshow by randomly rotating in a set of images from a single directory from time to time. Right now it picks randomly from the entire set of images. What I’m talking about is that it would sometimes display a series of pictures in a row from a single picture event. So you would see maybe 3 or 5 images from a particular event but have those transition at a faster pace or with a different transition effect. Windows Media Center does this effect in their slideshow and it is quite nice.

I’m thinking of trying to put together an low cost digital picture frame setup using XBMC and the Slideshow Screensaver on something like a Raspberry Pi to see if it would perform well enough. I’m sure it would work great except for the pan/zoom effects might be too pokey. What I have seen so far is my Intel NUC based I3 processor XBMC boxes are generally smooth for the pan/zoom effect but my older ARM based XBMC box is kinda erratic/jerky. I suspect the Raspberry would be similar or worse since I assume there is no way for the hardware graphics acceleration to help out in this effect?
g'day
good work so far.
i had a problem here.. this screen saver is maxing the cpu.
tried repo's 0.0.9 and the new 0.1.0, all the same. cpu is at 1-2% when no screen slideshow, and ~600% (on 4 core i7 !) when on.
it's just showing foto images, nothing fancy.

tried the advancedsettings algorithmdirtyregions=1,2,3 - doesnt help.

hardware is i7, standard intel video, 1280x1024 vga.
any idea?
and the versions of xbmc/os is the latest ubuntu rarian.
(2013-03-01, 22:32)ronie Wrote:
(2013-03-01, 19:21)Raytestrak Wrote: I hadn't noticed that, that does kinda suck. Does this only happen when using the cache option? I was wondering why I had a 8 GB thumbnail folder Big Grin

nah, the cache option means the addon will save a directory listing of your pictures to a text file.

the caching of images is done by xbmc, the screensaver has no influence/control over it.

Bummer. I love xbmc, but I hate the way caching works in it. It's like a black hole for images. In Eden, there was a clear difference between temp files, video fanart, music fanart and thumbnails. In frodo it's all piled up together making it impossible for a normal user (I know you can edit the textures.db an clean stuff up manually) to keep things tidy.

I'll try making a symbolic link to my images in the skin directory. At least that folder isn't cached.

Edit:

Adding a symbolic link to the skin dir works. I now have a link that points to my network share containing the photos I want to view as a screensaver and it xbmc doesn't make copies in my thumbnails folder.

Two downsides and one thing I don't understand.

1. Caching the screensaver no longer works, I get a textfile containing []
2. In the past, I've noticed that when updating the skin, data within the linked directories get deleted (I have more symlinks). The photos are stored on a read-only share, so I should be good Big Grin

What I don't understand is this:

the junction is called _photos and points to \\server\photos\ and in the explorer I see all my subfolders in _photos. When I set _photos as the target for the screensaver however, it goes up a folder and displays images from my skin folder. Weird right? Not asking for support by the way, just trying to understand.

I've cleared my thumbs, now it's only 500MB instead of 8GB. I'm happy again!
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
hmm, seems like my cpu-maxing is this same thumbnailing going on - for 30000 images. lets see if it ever ends..
any way to avoid it?
(2013-03-02, 12:27)samoa Wrote: hmm, seems like my cpu-maxing is this same thumbnailing going on - for 30000 images. lets see if it ever ends..
any way to avoid it?

i'm not sure if the setting applies to the screensaver as well,
but if you have this option in your advancedsettings.xml file
Code:
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
it could explain the cpu usage.
(2013-02-26, 22:38)J_K_M_A_N Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 21:50)ronie Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 19:09)J_K_M_A_N Wrote: Here is the log. It is on an Apply TV2 running 12.0 final. I installed the plugin via zip file, turned on debug and went to the settings and tried to create the cache. Not sure if there is enough info there or not. Let me know if you need any other logs or anything.

J_K_M_A_N

what error do you get?

I am using it for an image folder. I wasn't sure if the whole userdata folder gets pointed to the other system or what with MySQL. That was why I mentioned it in the first place.

When I press on create cache, it says building cache but then shows an error right after that. The error just says script error. It doesn't say a line number or anything. Here is another debug log. I started it up and turned on debug and tried again to create the cache twice. Got the error both times. Then I shut debug off and turned it off. Hopefully there is something there that will help track it down. Thanks for all the help.

J_K_M_A_N

Anything in here to give a hint? Should I post any other debug logs?

J_K_M_A_N
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture Slideshow Screensaver4