Can't Disable Embedded Subtitles in Frodo Release
Well I have some additional discoveries I'd like to share in case anyone else runs into this problem.

-I only have problems with 3D movies, which are in half side-by-side format.

-The 3D movies contain S_VOBSUB subtitles, not S_TEXT/UTF8 ones like my 2D movies.

Most likely one of these two conditions is the real culprit. It does explain away why I seem to be unique with this problem. Thanks again everyone, I know I'm a pain but hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
Sorry to reply to my own thread so quickly but I found a 3D SBS movie with S_TEXT/UTF subs and they can be disabled as usual in 12.0. So It's either an S_VOBSUB issue or an S_VOBSUB in 3D issue. I'll need to track down a 2D movie with this format to glean additional insight.

Progress!

Edit: I couldn't find a 2D movie with a VOBSUB entry so I ended up injecting my own into a movie that had subs in text format and had no issue normally. As soon as I injected a VOBSUB entry (and yes, I made sure to set it to default:no and forced: no) I suddenly found myself with subtitles that couldn't be disabled. I guess this means it's time to file a bug report.
I am having the same issue as you Mister Negative. If I play a 2D file that contains subtitles in Eden I can turn off the subs by unticking the 'enable subtitles' button in Audio - Settings, but if I play it in Frodo the subtitles remain. It is happening on all my files that have subs. Like you I dont want to use a 3rd party program to turn off the subs within the file, thats ridiculous. There must be a bug somewhere. I have uninstalled the application reinstalled but it doesn't fix it. Surely there is a fix to this. Huh
Thanks for the confirmation Melbguy76. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy considering how few of us seem to be afflicted with this issue!

I submitted a bug report. Hopefully someone smarter than I knows how to fix it!

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14079

Edit:

You can try RC2 from this list of releases. It's the last version of Frodo that worked fine with subtitles for me.

ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/xbmc/releases/win32/

Just keep in mind that it's not the release build so it's going to have other issues. Namely for me it has a thread that hangs on shutdown, which I built a script to force quit the process automatically at shut down and still rely on since I'm using this build on my main media computer. You may have to use task manager or another method to kill it or you'll notice a CPU core maxed out and the inability to relaunch XBMC.

If anything try RC2, see if it fixes your problem and let me know. Maybe you'll be spared the thread-hanging bug and you'll have all of the Frodo features without having subtitle issues until this gets panned out.
I am experiencing similar issues with an Android build of XBMC for the GBox Midnight (xbmcapp-armeabi-v7a-liquidblueocean-7aeee6d-20130225.apk). I can disable all subtitles except for the VOBSUB type (from a 3D movie). Fortunately, only one of my movies has this - of course it was the first one I tried though.
I have a similar problem. On a clean install of 12.0 Stable and on a release of 11 Stable, I get hard coded subs from .iso files as well as .mkv files. When those same files are played with PowerDVD there are no hard coded subs. These are not 3D movies.

Any advise on how to correct my problem? Thanks in advance.
Ditto on the bug.

I'm running 12.1 in a windows environment.

the .mkv I'm watching has embedded (not hardcoded) English and Polish subs.

All the menu sub options are turned off, but still there they are.

Cycling them off via "T" doesn't do it either.

grrr.
Finally solved my problem by reinstalling Frodo 12.0 without using the XBMCHUB Wizard. By not using the Wizard, I do not have the subtitles. This makes me think the problem is a coding problem in the Wizard. Also I do not have those two logos in the upper corners of my home page. The logos should be an optional install. They cover up needed info on some screens making it harder to read.

Thanks for your help.
Yup, just ran into the problem today Frodo 12.2, can't get rid of the Subtitles.
Just saw it again in windows pre-13 alpha 3

Subs (not hardcoded) that you just can't turn off.
I know I'm new and not sure if this will solve every ones issue with this, but. I went into the guisettings and changed the tag for subtitles from true to false. I am no longer getting them forced with my iso files.
With this setting my .mkv and .avi atc files are still subs showing when they should.
So far it seems to be working
Stubbs,

i tried your your technique... unfortunately it does not work for me.
i can switch from one to the other subtitle included in my mkv, but no way to deactivate it !
ok : i think i have understood.

there is no bug here. Some mkv have 'regular' subtitle tracks, some have 'forced' subtitle tracks.

In the second case, those subtitle get rid of player settings...

again : no bug here.
You can rebuild yourself the mkv to make those subs non forced.
Having same issue Sad

Where is "guisettings"?
(2013-11-02, 07:19)ADz_ Wrote: Having same issue Sad

Where is "guisettings"?

Click here --> Subtitles (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Disable Embedded Subtitles in Frodo Release0