My new bedroom build (cheap as they get)
Big Grin 
Well i decided that the old atom n550 was getting to weak and tired and that it was time for something new.

What i wanted:
1. Full hd (1080p) playback
2. Full hd over wireless 'n'
3. Aeon skin support
4. Something cheap

What i got:
Motherboard - Packard Bell mATX socket 775 0$
CPU - Intel® Pentium® Processor E2140 Dual core 1.6 GHz 65 W TDP 0$
Memory - 2x512MB PC2-4200 0$
Wireless 'n' adapter - Dlink dwa 140 0$
GPU - ASUS GT610 1GB Fanless 25$
Case - FRACTAL DESIGN Core 1000 35$
CPU cooler - ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 LP S-775 5$

Access to local garbage dump (for mb,cpu, wifi and ram) 5$

Total: 70$

Media setup:
AOC 27" LED e2795Vh 250$
Creative Inspire A220 25$

Total: 275$

Grand total of 345$ for a complete xbmc setup

The hardware looks acceptable after some dusting:

The case has absolutely no cable management:

Had to connect a resistor on both cpu and case cooler due to noise:

XBMCbuntu and it works:

The network adapter had to bad coverage behind the case so had to put it on the top corner (fastened with double side tape)

The complete setup looks ok:

This is an extremely simple setup but it proves that for the price of a zbox etc you could actually get a complete setup that runs 1080p over wifi and all the heavy skins Smile

Feel free to ask me questions and post comments Smile
Now that's awesome that you put together a system from "recycled" material and practically for FREE!!

Motherboard - Packard Bell mATX socket 775 0$
Packard Bell,......I thought they went out of business decades ago?!?!?!?! and for good reason.
But hey,..when its free,..who can complain!!
NICE JOB!
Definitely kudos on recycling. I don't think my local dump would have motherboads, CPUs and RAM though. Truck tires and shotgun shells though those things are more for dumpin' in the woods it seems.
Thanks Smile
Pretty amazed about this build myself..
The garbage parts where all found in a Packard Bell imedia computer.

I'm 99% sure I just finished the cheapest fully capable xbmc system(minotor and audio included) ever Smile
(2013-02-01, 15:55)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Definitely kudos on recycling. I don't think my local dump would have motherboads, CPUs and RAM though. Truck tires and shotgun shells though those things are more for dumpin' in the woods it seems.

Our dump actually has a "Computer Recycling Day".
I can't imagine the amount of usable parts that people throw away that is then resold.

(2013-02-01, 17:21)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 15:55)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Definitely kudos on recycling. I don't think my local dump would have motherboads, CPUs and RAM though. Truck tires and shotgun shells though those things are more for dumpin' in the woods it seems.

Our dump actually has a "Computer Recycling Day".
I can't imagine the amount of usable parts that people throw away that is then resold.

I often chuck motherboards, GPU's, memory etc in the dump. I either can't be bothered to sell it or no one wants it!

I recently threw away a couple of old AMD motherboards, some DDR2 memory, 3 CD drives, 6 IDE hard drives, a couple of cases and several old mice and keyboards.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
If you take old parts to Goodwill, they have a deal with Dell to recycle them.
most old computers can be used with xbmc - just add a ml03b and a gt610 and you're good to go with a nice htpc Wink
huh? my zbox runs 1080p over wifi and all the heavy skins
(2013-02-01, 18:59)mr.sparkle Wrote: huh? my zbox runs 1080p over wifi and all the heavy skins

you really want to compare a Zbox to a c2d Pentium +gt610 when your box costs about 5 times as much?
Umm, I have Atom\Ion boxes that are cheap, but not dirt cheap, that can handle most anything. For dirt cheap go Pivos XIOS but it will be a dedicated XBMC box at that point and not something you'll use for browsing the web etc. like you can a normal machine. Tiny and $100 shipped is tough to beat - comes with a remote too Big Grin
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My new bedroom build (cheap as they get)0