Failed to connect to MythTV Backend
Hi,

I can't use mythtv, as soon as I enable the Live TV it says:

Failed to connect to MythTV Backend 127.0.0.1: 6543

How do I fix that ?
(I'm on Mac OS XBMC Frodo)

Thanks
Anyone please?
1. No need to bump this thread after such a short time!

2. Read this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR
You need a MythTV installation and PVR hardware.
(2013-01-31, 21:27)cfetzer Wrote: 1. No need to bump this thread after such a short time!

2. Read this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR
You need a MythTV installation and PVR hardware.

1 - Sorry for that... Confused

2- I already had a look at it before asking but I don't understand what is wrong... I let the default configuration of MythTV but I still have the failed to connect message... (I'm bad with networks settings). I'm in France and Spain on Mac OS so I should be concerned by DVB-T...

In Mythtv Backend Hostname or IP I tried: localhost and 127.0.1.11
In the port I let 6543

By the way I also had a look at these posts:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149497
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149581

Thanks
(2013-02-01, 00:26)anthony74700 Wrote: 1 - Sorry for that... Confused

2- I already had a look at it before asking but I don't understand what is wrong... I let the default configuration of MythTV but I still have the failed to connect message... (I'm bad with networks settings). I'm in France and Spain on Mac OS so I should be concerned by DVB-T...

Thanks

I used to have a really good article on setting up Mythbackend, but can't find it. I will keep looking, until I find it you can dig through these posts, lots of Q&A on setting up Mythbackend for frontend connections.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/
(2013-02-01, 00:57)djroketboy Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 00:26)anthony74700 Wrote: 1 - Sorry for that... Confused

Thanks

I used to have a really good article on setting up Mythbackend, but can't find it. I will keep looking, until I find it you can dig through these posts, lots of Q&A on setting up Mythbackend for frontend connections.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

Ok, Thank you! But just to make sure I understand, with a Macbook pro, XBMC and an internet conection I should be able to get live tv working right? Or do I need extra hardware?

You need a machine running mythbackend. That machine needs a tv capture device (tuner). For DVB-T that would usually be a PCI or USB device physically attached to the backend machine, and with a cable attached to your antenna. But it could also be a network attached HDHomerun.

So what OS is your mythbackend machine running and what tuner device is attached to it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-02-01, 08:25)nickr Wrote: You need a machine running mythbackend. That machine needs a tv capture device (tuner). For DVB-T that would usually be a PCI or USB device physically attached to the backend machine, and with a cable attached to your antenna. But it could also be a network attached HDHomerun.

So what OS is your mythbackend machine running and what tuner device is attached to it.

Confused I could have tried for a while without tuner device....... thanks for the highlights ! I will have a look to see if there is a cheap solution on MacBP

Thank you !!! Nod
(2013-02-01, 12:59)anthony74700 Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 08:25)nickr Wrote: You need a machine running mythbackend. That machine needs a tv capture device (tuner). For DVB-T that would usually be a PCI or USB device physically attached to the backend machine, and with a cable attached to your antenna. But it could also be a network attached HDHomerun.

Confused I could have tried for a while without tuner device....... thanks for the highlights ! I will have a look to see if there is a cheap solution on MacBP

Thank you !!! Nod
How on earth did you expect to tune tv without a tv tuner?

I suggest you join the mythtv-users mailing list and seek help from others in your region as to appropriate hardware and setting it up.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-02-01, 22:49)nickr Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 12:59)anthony74700 Wrote:

Thank you !!! Nod
How on earth did you expect to tune tv without a tv tuner?

I suggest you join the mythtv-users mailing list and seek help from others in your region as to appropriate hardware and setting it up.

Ahahaah, I know... yep I will thanks ! Wink
make sure you can view live tv from mythfrontend before trying xbmc pvr
nickr said: "How on earth did you expect to tune tv without a tv tuner?"

First off, realize that a lot of folks are "newbies" and have no idea what is needed.
Wouldn't it be cool if the MythTV interface mentioned that a tuner is needed (maybe it does, and maybe some of us missed it)?

Now, bear with me, because what you seem to NOT realize is that a *LOT* of people come to these various items from search results related to "INTERNET TV" and, in my book (and the books of many others - LOL), *INTERNET* TV does NOT "come through a cable or tuner card."

Bottom line: Many folks are searching (Googling) for "Internet TV" and also are looking to truly "cut the cable" - because, after all, recording through a "tuner card" is no different than recording through a DVD recorder - they both tune/record so-called "regular TV" through a tuner and cable.

So, what are the options for people looking to stream/record NON-TUNER/NON-CABLE based TV and movies?
I'm sure some of it involves premium (or semi-premium) services, and not all of those allow PVR-type recording.
Examples, I can stream TV and movies via Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Vudu. I can download some of those movies, thus no need to 'record.' Even some TV episodes can be downloaded (I think). And, thus far, on the premium/semi-premium offerings I mentioned, "Live TV" is very limited.

So, anyway, I just wanted to clarify that spome people do not understand even the fact that, with MythTV and some of these other apps, a tuner is required and that, in many cases, people are seeking "Tuner-Free TV streamed via Internet."
Yep the level of knowledge out there is quite low, compounded by a lot of confusing information, lock down of most premium channels in the US (cf Freeview in the UK), the inability to do anything other than stream in most online services (ie no 'save and watch later') etc etc.

However I am not sure how you could go to all the trouble of installing mythtv without knowing it's core purpose - recording broadcast TV!

The market is certainly confusing though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed to connect to MythTV Backend0