Aeon Nox CPU usage when idle / minimised
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but I've Googled for half an hour without success.

When I'm in the main menu and minimise Aeon Nox it still uses like 25% CPU and spikes up to 60% randomly. I think version 4 is using more than 3 did which is why I'm asking. CPU is a bit of a premium on my box as my HTPC is running SickBeard and SAB, plus I'll often watch streams or browse the internet too.

The obvious solution, quit XBMC, I can do this but what I can't get my head around is what the hell is Aeon Nox doing with my precious CPUs Mhz? Is there anything I can do to get it to not use CPU, similar to the Confluence skin?

Just this and my low list issue, otherwise it'd be perfect, excellent work guys!
If you want to save cpu, turn off background effects and use single image backgrounds, dont set skin widgets to randomize every minute, etc. 25% - 60% is a lot though, idle on home screen is for me around 5%.
Same here but of course depends on what cpu you have
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Which version of XBMC ? I discovered that in *Eden* I had with for example confluence skin only about 1%-2% Cpu load, with *Frodo* on the same machine 50% - 90 %, so I guess, it's a *Frodo* Bug ... created a bug ticket on Trac ..
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
(2013-02-01, 10:55)LastCoder Wrote: Which version of XBMC ? I discovered that in *Eden* I had with for example confluence skin only about 1%-2% Cpu load, with *Frodo* on the same machine 50% - 90 %, so I guess, it's a *Frodo* Bug ... created a bug ticket on Trac ..

I use Frodo so closing that ticket and a lot of us do (like BigNoid).
check what is wrong on your install before creating ghost chasing tickets.

start with a fresh Frodo install
aha, it was indeed a fresh new install, there was no third party stuff in xbmc, no old stuff from eden, I took it from xbmcs ppa .. A lot of guys have a lot of trouble with different parts of frodo, some call the final release an alpha stage crap, simply check the release comments and the forum - but sure, YOUR install is self evident fine, so the users are the problem - LOL - didn't know that xbmc is a M$ project ..

If you don't want to care, then it's finally your problem, but don't ask for further support from userbase and find your bugs yourself !

Greetz

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
It is Frodo I'm on as Aeon Nox v4 is Frodo only.

Using confluence I have 0% usage. Currently with Aeon Nox it's sitting at roughly 29% average with spikes.

I don't have any widgets enabled. As I say literally in the main menu, the only effect is the background changing. However if I go to hardware in settings, it's exactly the same here there is literally nothing happening except the monitoring of my hardware.

It has definitely increased in version 4 and I'd be inclined to think it isn't Frodo due to confluence not having any usage when minimised.

My CPU is an AMD E-450 APU so like I say I need things not to be taking CPU for no reason. I can't be the only one with this issue.
(2013-02-01, 14:36)LastCoder Wrote: aha, it was indeed a fresh new install, there was no third party stuff in xbmc, no old stuff from eden, I took it from xbmcs ppa .. A lot of guys have a lot of trouble with different parts of frodo, some call the final release an alpha stage crap, simply check the release comments and the forum - but sure, YOUR install is self evident fine, so the users are the problem - LOL - didn't know that xbmc is a M$ project ..

If you don't want to care, then it's finally your problem, but don't ask for further support from userbase and find your bugs yourself !

Greetz

LastCoder

Careful on your language Mr.
Show some respect for the work done.

You said nothing about what you were using, if it was an upgrade or fresh install, no hardware specs, settings in Nox, does it happen in Confluence, no Debug Log, scripts running, no nothing. Just complaining about cpu usage.

Considered other drivers, audio setting, video setting?
Find some lead where to look so we can see what is causing it but just jelling "i have high cpu usage won't get you anywhere"

Edit:

Here's my cpu usage with all full blown Aeon Nox settings while on home screen
http://db.tt/MFl8LYvW
(2013-02-01, 15:30)SuPerNoVi Wrote: It is Frodo I'm on as Aeon Nox v4 is Frodo only.

Using confluence I have 0% usage. Currently with Aeon Nox it's sitting at roughly 29% average with spikes.

I don't have any widgets enabled. As I say literally in the main menu, the only effect is the background changing. However if I go to hardware in settings, it's exactly the same here there is literally nothing happening except the monitoring of my hardware.

It has definitely increased in version 4 and I'd be inclined to think it isn't Frodo due to confluence not having any usage when minimised.

My CPU is an AMD E-450 APU so like I say I need things not to be taking CPU for no reason. I can't be the only one with this issue.

Try with a clean guisettings.xml. Make a backup first, cause you will lose all settings for every skin + xbmc.
Okay gave that a try, exactly the same CPU usage in Aeon Nox, 0% usage in Confluence.

Here is a debug log maybe it'll help http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=32004
I'm experiencing the same. Aeon Nox (4.0.9) idles between 15-20%; Confluence idles between 0-4%.

I have single static images as backgrounds. RSS is disabled. I enabled dirtyregions and tried various settings with no positive results. I have my screensaver set to Black; When the system goes to the Black screensaver the CPU usage remains the same.

It sucks because Aeon Nox is an awesome skin otherwise. I haven't tired any others and I'm not near the HTPC right now, but I'll poke around a little deeper later tonight to see if I can zoom in on the issue.

(2013-02-07, 21:10)imolaavant Wrote: I'm experiencing the same. Aeon Nox (4.0.9) idles between 15-20%; Confluence idles between 0-4%.

I have single static images as backgrounds. RSS is disabled. I enabled dirtyregions and tried various settings with no positive results. I have my screensaver set to Black; When the system goes to the Black screensaver the CPU usage remains the same.

It sucks because Aeon Nox is an awesome skin otherwise. I haven't tired any others and I'm not near the HTPC right now, but I'll poke around a little deeper later tonight to see if I can zoom in on the issue.

That'd be good. I don't want to be closing XBMC every time I do something else on my machine.

I've got a pretty typical setup too, I installed Windows 7 Pro, then drivers then XBMC and Aeon Nox... I've had this CPU usage issues since I first started using Aeon Nox. It shouldn't be using any CPU when minimised!
Count me in on this issue. Exactly the same cpu usage as the others.
Well, I tried to narrow in on what may be causing the CPU usage. All I could tell for sure is that when Aeon Nox is running, even at idle, it's doing a lot of disk reads for some reason.

I tried all the Aeon Skins and they all have this problem The Confluence and Backrow skins do not. I like the skin, but I don't like it enough to spend hours troubleshooting the issue; that's the designers' job.
(2013-02-08, 17:47)imolaavant Wrote: Well, I tried to narrow in on what may be causing the CPU usage. All I could tell for sure is that when Aeon Nox is running, even at idle, it's doing a lot of disk reads for some reason.

I tried all the Aeon Skins and they all have this problem The Confluence and Backrow skins do not. I like the skin, but I don't like it enough to spend hours troubleshooting the issue; that's the designers' job.

If you pay us a salary, then maybe its our job. Until then use another skin with the same amount of options and customization that uses less cpu Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox CPU usage when idle / minimised0