Aeon Nox CPU usage when idle / minimised
(2013-02-12, 15:14)LordByron Wrote: Using GlassNox (mod from Aeon Nox) my CPU is from 7% to 13% in IDLE so I can't really complain (under Windows 8). And my HTPC has an Atom D2700 CPU (Zotac ZBox ID80) ... so not so powerfull Smile

I'd be happy with that... I believe mine is the equivalent AMD processor so would hope to have that kind of performance.
As promised here's a video showing the usage.

Sorry for poor quality it looked better on my phone, doesn't seem to have upload with 720P intact.
That video doesnt change anything. What do you expect us to do? If someone is reporting much lower cpu usage with a similar cpu, i dont think the problem is the skin. It's easy to say that if it doesnt happen in Confluence its a skin problem, but the fact is that Confluence doesnt use any external scripts. So by using Nox there are more variables that can contribute to your cpu usage. Try eliminating those variables first by disabling all addons that Nox depends on:
script.favourites
script.playlists
script.tv.show.next.aired
script.artwork.downloader
script.artistslideshow
script.globalsearch
script.playalbum
script.randomandlastitems
service.skin.widgets
I've tried that Big_Noid made no difference. Literally the CPU didn't change.

I was wondering if it might be the transition between the background images, I've noticed that it seems to keep changing them even if you're not on that menu item. When it changes the CPU shoots to 50% then down to around 20%.

I'm showing that it's a genuine problem and I'm not over exaggerating as people (not you) are trying to make out it's just me being stupid. The CPU laughs at most things but this idle program is using nearly half when open Sad
Did you try changing multi-background to a static single image?
(2013-02-13, 21:19)Vaikin Wrote: Did you try changing multi-background to a static single image?

Well I have but I haven't changed each menu item to single image. As like I say it seems like the effect goes on in the background regardless of whether you are on that menu item or not.

I'll try and do it when I get a chance to sit down and go through each one.
I looked at my cpu usage with various different settings. Here's my 'report'

CPU: P8600 (4 year old Core2Duo mobile processor - 2.4 ghz)

Static Background (Single Image) w/o background effect: 3 % (averaged over 5 minutes)
Static Background with background effect: 8 - 11 % (that's fine as it clearly says it will engage the cpu more)

Dynamic Background (Multi Image / Movie Wall / Extrafanart / other versions of changing background) w/o background effect: ~4% (drops to 2% after image change and spikes to 8 - 10% during the change)
Dynamic Background with background effect: 17% (averaged over 5 mins)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the skin as those numbers are pretty good for a 4 year old mobile CPU. The dedicated HTPC I built for my parents (with a ivy 3225 cpu) rarely exceeded 7 - 8 % during idle even with background effect + multi image background.So, if you are using default settings with single image and the background effect turned off, the CPU usage should be pretty low.
Well for what it's worth, and I realize by reading this thread there's probably no point in trying to contribute, I see similar problems on my Ubuntu install on an AMD quad-core system. I've been observing a fair amount of CPU usage with XBMC, more than I thought I should see, and after some investigating I turned off RSS feeds and some other add-ons and got it down to 30% . That percentage is of one core, but still, why so much? I don't know, maybe it's not a big deal. I decided to just let it go.

Anyways, this morning I noticed it was sitting at 47%. And another thing I've noticed is that my log fills up with DEBUG messages that are all skin related. So I decided to visit this forum and see if other people had reported any issues with the skin. I checked my system and found that last night I left it viewing a specific season of a TV show. Now that's something where the background wasn't changing and the whole screen was static, so obviously I found that CPU usage to be disconcerting. I went back to the home screen and usage dropped to just over 30%. I switched to Confluence, and now I'm at 3%.

Mind you, these number I'm reporting are specific to the XBMC process and no others. At this point top is only showing 6 processes using any CPU, with two idle java apps running at 4%, and a few others at 1%, including top.

Again, for what it's worth, that's my experience. Take it or leave it, if you'd like more info just ask. It's a beautiful skin, but a solid 10x more CPU usage while sitting idle doesn't sit right with me.
Again...comparing to Confluence is only interesting if you disable all addons that Nox makes use of and Confluence doesnt. And then still it is expected that Nox uses more cpu simply because it has way more options then Confluence.
* Martijn loves burning CPU in the morning
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-02-17, 21:36)Big_Noid Wrote: Again...comparing to Confluence is only interesting if you disable all addons that Nox makes use of and Confluence doesnt. And then still it is expected that Nox uses more cpu simply because it has way more options then Confluence.

I'm going to go out on a limb though and say these add ons and extras do very little, yes they're nice and all but they shouldn't be consistently using this much CPU?

I've disabled the add ons anyway and that hasn't made any difference. Which supports my last argument, RSS, etc use very little CPU.
I'm tired of making the same point over and over again. Its very easy to say that this suggestion doesnt work or that suggestion doesnt work. Do you think I just make this stuff up? I've tested this on a wide range of machines, including emulating low powered devices in virtualbox. And yes Nox will always use more CPU then Confluence, but on none of my machines I can reproduce a difference of 5-10x the CPU use of Confluence with the suggestions I made in this thread. And yes, Nox will use a fair amount more CPU then Confluence if you enable all eye-candy and use multi-image backgrounds, showcase view , next aired in library, etc. But you cant really compare it anymore to Confluence in that case, so that point is moot (even though its still not 5-10 x times more then Confluence).
Btw RSS is an example that can make very much difference on low powered machines. I've seen this myself and theres proof of that all over the forum and the wiki.
But I want to use your skin 'cause it has more options, but I don't expect it to use any more resources Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin BTW Hybrid has a similar problem - but as long as the main menu is responsive on my system, I'm not bothered & expect that to happen.
Noli illegitimi carborundum

BN and Phil the only suggestion i make is have something highlighted in red and bold "Aeon Nox uses more CPU than confluence use it at your own risk" in the main thread and anytime someone opens these threads just keep linking to that thread and that might be a solution for all of this.
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround
lol that wouldn´t help I´m sure.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox CPU usage when idle / minimised0