Any PVR back-ends that do on-the-fly recording to MP4?
Are there any PVR back-ends that support on-the-fly recording to MP4 (h264) format? I know that I can have my server transcode from MPEG2-to-MP4 afterwards, but that's not what I'm looking for.

To make the request even more difficult, I'm also really just interested in backends that have support for cablecards. I'm on Comcast and all of the channels I subscribe to are copy-freely, so I don't need anything beyond copy-freely support.
I suspect you'll find that everything records in the format in which the stream is received, typically MPEG2 for SD and H.264 for HD. Most backends use a .TS container so you just get the raw programme stream (errors and all) just as it was broadcast.

Transcoding while receiving would be problematic, in that you'd have to either hope that you're encoding more slowly than receiving (so you never reach the end of the recorded file prematurely) or else have to keep pausing while you got some more data.

I suppose it's doable, but I've never heard of it mentioned (though I don't claim to be the world authority here).

Are you transcoding for consumption on a different device, are you trying to save space, or something else?
(2013-02-02, 17:20)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I suspect you'll find that everything records in the format in which the stream is received, typically MPEG2 for SD and H.264 for HD.
Actually, most HDTV content in the USA is MPEG2. h264 Is the format primarily used for encoding Blu-ray discs. In my case, I'm talking about HDTV via Comcast cable, which is going to be primarily MPEG2. From what I've heard, there are cable companies using h264 for some channels, and perhaps they're moving in the direction of all-h264, but for now, most of it is MPEG2. Perhaps it's encoded as h264 in the UK?

(2013-02-02, 17:20)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Transcoding while receiving would be problematic, in that you'd have to either hope that you're encoding more slowly than receiving (so you never reach the end of the recorded file prematurely) or else have to keep pausing while you got some more data.
I would think that it should be relatively easy for transcoding software to be designed such that it could slow down, if necessary, to a 1:1 speed. Basically, it just needs to be transcoding frame-by-frame, and if it completes the transcoding/writing of a frame and the next frame hasn't been "served up" yet, it would just wait till it gets it. It would also be checking to see when the source file is "complete". But perhaps I'm wrong and what I'm describing is a lot more difficult than that. FWIW, the upcoming SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime will be doing this sort of thing via a hardware h264 encoder.

(2013-02-02, 17:20)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Are you transcoding for consumption on a different device, are you trying to save space, or something else?
Primarily the first reason, but the 2nd is a bonus. There is no shortage of devices that can handle h264 via their GPU, but hardware MPEG2 decoding is rarer, for whatever reason. My specific needs/desires are for iOS support. With an MP4 source format, I could play it easily on my iPhone and even push it over to the AppleTV via AirPlay. The smaller filesizes will be a bonus, too, as it will require less-than-optimal network bandwidth. Streaming MPEG2 HDTV over even 802.11n can work under ideal conditions, but multiple clients at the same time? Forget it. Then there's the added bonus of significantly smaller filesizes in regards to hard drive storage. And you can take some of your shows on-the-go on an iPhone with limited local space, if desired.

As I mentioned, the upcoming SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime refresh is going to support this natively, but that may not come till much later this year, I've got a server that should be capable to handle it (desktop Intel i7-2600K), so I'd like to see what can be done. Now, perhaps I'm being overly ambitious, because if you're working with 3 simultaneous MPEG2 streams, you would need to be able to have the software handle on-the-fly transcoding/recording at 3x real-time, or else it would lag behind. I suspect that my i7 could handle that, but it might require sacrificing some PQ (lower bitrate). But I've also got a 2nd HDHomeRun Prime which I was planning to hook up, and that would open up the possibility of 6 simultaneous streams.

In any case, I don't doubt that software *could* accomplish what I'm asking, even if real-time performance for multiple streams was not feasible, and I'm curious if any of the existing back-ends might already support this to some extent. Hopefully some folks who have some in-depth knowledge of the various PVR back-ends can provide their insight.
The issue isn't really GPU's requiring mp4, it is they require h264 for h/w decoding. Some devices restrict that to mp4 or mov but not all. Outside North America h264 is becoming the norm (and non FTA satellite in N.A. and even encrypted QAM) and HDPVR's do h264 encoding too.

The bigger issue with h/w devices is they often say h264 1080p but they don't have good h/w de-interlacing for 1080i

The world does need AVR's that do multi-channel AAC/HE-AAC

Martin
So are there really *NO* PVR back-ends that do on-the-fly transcoding to MP4? It seems like if Plex Media Server (and some similar software-based solutions) can do on-the-fly transcoding for playing back an already-recorded MPEG-2 file, then it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a PVR solution which does that transcoding as it writes the recording-in-progress file to disk.
Transcoding, sure several can do this for storage not live tv ot in-progress playing. NextPVR allows a parallel or post recording process to do what this. You just need extra space cpu

Martin
MediaPortal: http://www.mpextended.com

MythTV: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming_Server

TVHeadend: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132506

While it is not a full PVR backend (yet), EyeTV can do this as well.
Ned, thanks for replying and taking the time to provide some informative links, but those all appear to be related to doing on-the-fly transcoding of live TV to a client. I'm asking about a PVR back-end that will essentially do on-the-fly transcoding (to mp4) when recording to disk. Considering the fact that there seem to be several back-ends that offer some level of "after the fact" transcoding to clients, it seems odd to me that none of them have attempted to offer what I'm looking for. At this point, it looks like I'm going to need to wait for SiliconDust's next-gen tuner which is going to do this natively via hardware.
+1 this question/feature request
Transcoding is a heavy task, but you could run a thread with low intensity and priority, to transcode the incoming stream, after buffering it for a bit. Then the pure MKV could be deleted and the resulting h264 mkv (you'd want subtitles and audio streams intact) can take it's place. In the copy process, the file would have to be locked to prevent playback (some flag for the backend).
(2013-02-18, 03:36)Ned Scott Wrote: MediaPortal: http://www.mpextended.com

MythTV: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming_Server

TVHeadend: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132506

While it is not a full PVR backend (yet), EyeTV can do this as well.
Mythtv records what the broadcaster sends. The HLS server transcodes on demand to a client. It does NOT affect the recorded file.

mythtv can transcode to any codec you have software for, but not on the fly before the recording is saved on the hard drive.

Theoretically it would be possible to write a driver that transcoded the stream before it ever hit the recording software, ie creates a "dummy" dvb device that takes the output from the "real" dvb device and transcodes, but sounds like a lot of work.

Transcoding is CPU intensive. Every digital PVR I have ever heard of drops what is on the wire to the hard drive, albeit with some container changes (as is clearly necessary).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any PVR back-ends that do on-the-fly recording to MP4?0