• 1(current)
WIP reduce context menu size by mving some option to second dialog
Problem:
the context menu keeps growing so you get a huge list to choose from and this starts to clutter the screen and unnecessary scrolling.

Solution:

Like already discussed in some thread move several options to an additional dialog.
Discussion thread: forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148691

Now we have:
PHP Code:
*queue item
*play from here
*add to favourites
*movie information
*mark as watched
*edit title
*link to tv show
*remove from library
*update library 

new layout
PHP Code:
*queue item
*play/play from here
*movie information
*update library
*manage movie

-add to favourites

-mark as watched

-edit title

-link to tv show

-remove from library

-add/edit art

-add to tag

-add to set 

This would allow to add for example the "add/edit art" button without cluttering standard context menu.

Also if this PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1654 goes in perhaps at some time this will add some more stuff to it which makes it even larger.
Perhaps that on could go under a main item as well so that all custom added items will be listed in a second dialog
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
+1 - and as discussed in the other forum topic there should be a "manage" button in the info view of a movie as well, which replaces the "choose thumbnail", "choose poster" etc. It should trigger the same window/options, so that these options are also available if the input device has no way to trigger the context menu (which always should be just a shortcut to features that can also be accessed otherwise)
I like it. +1
Note that the top 3 of these are what shows when you have "Choose" as the default select action, so you kinda get that anyway.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

and for the #¤% , add back the option you removed : Go back to top
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall - can't the "Choose" option not just simply trigger the context menu (cleaned up) instead of having it's own popup? That would ease things up quite a lot IMO (for remotes with limited nr of buttons at least)
(2013-02-05, 01:39)pike Wrote: and for the #¤% , add back the option you removed : Go back to top

Disagree, the context menu is supposed to be context aware in regards to items. For example, right clicking a tabb in firefox won't give you the option to close firefox, its the wrong context.
IMO it would fit better in the left side panel (in confluence), which feels more like a view specific panel.

EDIT: And with the same logic I think we shouldn't have "update library" in the context menu.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2013-02-05, 09:52)topfs2 Wrote: EDIT: And with the same logic I think we shouldn't have "update library" in the context menu.

never made any sense for me, except for shares. Probably move it to the sidebar in confluence which IMO looks like a better place for it.
(2013-02-05, 12:39)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 09:52)topfs2 Wrote: EDIT: And with the same logic I think we shouldn't have "update library" in the context menu.

never made any sense for me, except for shares. Probably move it to the sidebar in confluence which IMO looks like a better place for it.

Just a thought related to this. If you move 'update library' off the context menu, what about the 'scan for new content' option? Which would have to be part of the context menu. Wouldn't that get confusing?
Scan for new content is specific to the source you've focused so IMO that one makes sense in the context menu. Having "scan for new content" right next to "update library" is probably more confusing than having them in seperate places IMO.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
aren't both the same? I don't see a difference.
(2013-02-05, 18:10)da-anda Wrote: aren't both the same? I don't see a difference.

It only scans that specific source where that video is located while scan library scans all (iirc).
So it helps if you have many sources to quick scan a single source
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Rethinking it, to the point that Montellese makes, I can see the reason that 'update library' wouldn't necessarily belong on the context menu. I think there is definitely some confusion to some on what the difference between update library and scan for new content is. Maybe moving update library off the context menu would help make that distinction. But this is probably getting a bit off the path of the initial thread discussion.
scan for new content here + scan for new content everywhere

A bit long but if both are doing the same basically just the target which is scanned is different on both we should maybe try to name then as equal as possible.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
IMO "Update library" is a very self explanatory name and shouldn't be changed. Maybe the "scan for new content" could be altered to "scan source for new content" to make it more obvious that it affects the currently focused source.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
reduce context menu size by mving some option to second dialog0