Can someone explain how the "latest Movies/TV" works now?
(2013-02-03, 18:30)Six_Shooter Wrote: I don't understand the new behaviour. I guess part of it is, I don't think I understand what metadata is, so I'm not sure why I'd want to "re-new" it, and would it really change after a year?

Would using mySQL (or some other library managing software) cause the recently added to work as it did in Eden, without needing to make any additional changes?

FWIW, I'm not complaining, I don't think I can really complain about awesome free software that does pretty much everything I want it to. Big Grin

Say you wanted to change the scraper you used, or wanted to refresh a movie to update the ratings, or the poster... anyway, there could be reasons someone wanted to fresh a movie or an episode.

Whether one uses mysql or the internal builtin XBMC db (which uses sqlite) is irrelevant with how the recently added works.

(2013-02-03, 23:16)ECEC Wrote: Anyway, can I assume that updating the library will reset the recently added as well? I'm scraping all my movies into a brand new library, so I can't test.

Whenever an item is scanned into the database it is at that time when the the date is populated in the database. (if you refresh that item, the same thing happens, the date is repopulated)

All that has changed with Frodo is by default, the date is taken from the timestamp of when the file was last modified.

If you change the behavior of recently added via advancedsettings after you've already scanned everything into the library the change will only affect items scanned after you made that change.
(2013-02-04, 00:03)gabbott Wrote: Whenever an item is scanned into the database it is at that time when the the date is populated in the database. (if you refresh that item, the same thing happens, the date is repopulated)

So I need to either remove the items from the library and rescan, or refresh the entire series, correct?
(2013-02-03, 15:46)gabbott Wrote: Another real world example for the logic behind the new behavior. Let's say I have a movie I added to the my library a year ago. I happen to want to refresh the meta data for it. With the old behavior when I refresh it I'll now see it as the most recently added title. With the new behavior I won't.

That is exactly why I like the new way, problem is it doesn't work like you say it does.

A test I just did was I refreshed the metadata on one of the films in the recently added list, it was at the end of the list, after the refresh through xbmc it bumped up, albeit not at the top of the list, but went from last to fourth so can you explain this behavior?

Edit: Just repeated the test with another movie and it made the movie jump to the fourth position of recently added also.
ok so there are merits to the new intended behaviour, if it does in fact work.

However, there is still the problem that the label does not match the action. Follow the logic, it just doesn't make sense. You add videos into the video library. I added some yesterday, and now I'm adding more today. Now I want to see the ones that I most recently added - the ones I added today. Oh wait, they are not there. wtf? Oh, ok, so by "recently added", you do not mean "the files I most recently added to the library". you mean something different. More like "files sorted by file/folder date".

To me, that's a big faux-pas. tell me what the action is going to do, and don't lie to me. Anything more or less will just confuse the user and lead to tons of forum posts "wtf is with tv episode sorting"

How about rename it to just "recent", and let the user choose in the options what they want that to mean.
(2013-02-04, 01:45)mobious Wrote: That is exactly why I like the new way, problem is it doesn't work like you say it does.

A test I just did was I refreshed the metadata on one of the films in the recently added list, it was at the end of the list, after the refresh through xbmc it bumped up, albeit not at the top of the list, but went from last to fourth so can you explain this behavior?

Edit: Just repeated the test with another movie and it made the movie jump to the fourth position of recently added also.

Did your library come from eden? If so, remember that the date added on all items you scanned into the database while running eden aren't using the mtime of the files.

If you scanned everything into your library while using Frodo you'll have to get some more info and open a new thread.
(2013-02-04, 15:02)gabbott Wrote:
(2013-02-04, 01:45)mobious Wrote: That is exactly why I like the new way, problem is it doesn't work like you say it does.

Did your library come from eden? If so, remember that the date added on all items you scanned into the database while running eden aren't using the mtime of the files.

If you scanned everything into your library while using Frodo you'll have to get some more info and open a new thread.

Ah I see yeah that is the case then. My library did come from Eden. Thanks again for clarifying everything Gabbott. The new way is much better if not just for the reason you mentioned. I can't tell you how many times I was annoyed because of the fact that refreshing metadata caused the file to bump up to most recent. To me this is a more than welcomed addition to XBMC.

and for those who don't like the change, a simple fix is available and has already been mentioned so there is no need for complaining really.
Actually I like it the new way...I just added Season 1 of The Wire and am very glad that all of the "Recently Added" slots were not taken up by those 13 episodes. Instead the newly aired episodes from Thursday night and Friday night are showing up. Perfect, in my opinion.
Man I am getting some wacky results with this stuff. Granted, some of my file modified dates are crazy apparently, and I just had no reason to notice. But I'm dutifully going through and fixing these, then refreshing the shows in question, which removes them from the recently added list. I still have a couple of issues:

- Files without a modified date at all are sorted at the top of the list. I don't know why a file wouldn't have a modified date, but there ya go.
- Some files are being put into the RA list even though they shouldn't be. A couple of screenshots:

First, the bottom section of my RA list (starting there because I haven't messed with these files)

Now, those files in Explorer with the modified date:

If I refresh the episode information, it is dropped from the list.

Should I try deleting the source and scraping all my tv shows again?

(2013-02-03, 07:07)vinistois Wrote: clearly users want to see their most recently added videos when they click recently added. Other weird behaviors could be enabled by editing advanced settings.

For what it's worth, I'm a user, and that's not what I want. Personally, what I want is to see new releases, sorted by air date (or theatrical release date for movies). I don't care when I scanned them into the library.

I'm sure that's not what you want. Different people have different desired behaviors. What you think is the obvious only-way-to-do-it way is not necessarily what other people expect.
I have some strange issues with the recently added list and based on feedback from this thread I noticed I had some modified dates that were out in the future as well. So I went through and updated the modified to match the created date and re-scraped the files. I had expected them to fall off the list completely, but they still appeared in recently added. I then removed them from the library and re-added them, again they fell into the same spot in the list. I'm using an upgraded Eden database as well, is there something else I should do to make this right? I absolutely LOVE the idea of being able to re-scrape shows or adding new shows that don't screw over the "recently added" (wife adds things like the entire series of Dallas/Magnum, P.I. that eat up the list quick)

Also: is there a way to make a "recently released" smart list that would function in much the same way mal2 has suggested? I like the idea of that for Movies.
(2013-02-03, 07:24)Ned Scott Wrote: On what planet does it make sense that a 5 year old file should appear as "new" just because it was just now added to XBMC? If I have an old file on my hard drive, even if it was never added to XBMC, I've probably seem it by then, and it is no longer "new".

So...just because I didnt see the movie when it first came out its not new for me?
Who says its been on my computer for 5 years? I just got it today.
Recently added means just that. "Recently Added." If not, maybe you should call it "Newly Released".

What planet are you from?

The planet with operating systems and XBMC that correctly tracks when a video was added to your hard drive.

Rip it today = XBMC sees date for today

Download it today = XBMC sees date for today
@ned,
I find no fault with the 'method' but I, and many, see a need to be able to manually change it. Many of us rip shows/movies that we have seen but want to add to the collection, and do not want showing up in the 'Recent' list. The best way to solve this issue is to have a way to remove the item from the list... just like we can mark items as "watched".

I'm not sure why the debate has gone on... this is really simple - the devs created a very useful feature, tons of us want to use but it does not account for a common use case that many of us have.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
It was changed because most people wanted it back then. It was requested all the time.

If you do not like it just revert it to another way by setting an advancedsetting.xml setting. This is all properly documented as well.
(2013-05-27, 18:12)Livin Wrote: I'm not sure why the debate has gone on... this is really simple - the devs created a very useful feature, tons of us want to use but it does not account for a common use case that many of us have.

If you code it and perform a pull request it might just be added. That is the way this works.
You will not see another developer program something he sees no use for. Everyone does this in his free time!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can someone explain how the "latest Movies/TV" works now?0