Step by step setup for xbmcbuntu and mythtv backend
Does anyone have a easy to read article or post that explains aStep by step setup for xbmcbuntu and mythtv backend?
I could really use this too!
I don't have a step by step, but I can try and help you.

First I would grab Mythbuntu and install it on a dedicated Machine.
http://www.mythbuntu.org/downloads

Configure Myth. Use Mythfrontend (comes with it) to test and make sure everything is working the way you want. Mainly make sure that your tuners are working, and you have the channels you want. There are a 238490238490823904823 settings on Mythbackend, and the Myth Wiki isn't always up to date, so searching Google or the MythTV users archive is a good way to figure out what settings do. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/
Subscribe to MythTV Users mailing list to ask your questions about getting MythTV working. http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users/
Do not ask about setting up XBMC, you can do that here.

When setting up Mythbackend, make sure you use IP's and NOT localhost, using localhost will make it so you can't connect any remote front ends if you ever want to. I use static DHCP reservations, but using static IP's will work as well. Whichever is more comfortable, or easy for you. Its been a while, but I also think there is a setting

Next install add the XBMC repo. "sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa"
Then "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-pvr-mythtv-cmyth"

Start up XBMC, go to System --> Add-ons --> Disabled Add-ons" --> PVR Clients
Select the Myth plugin, install it, configure it (the password is on the General Screen in Mythbackend)
Then enable it, go back to System --> LiveTV and enable it.

I've done most of this from memory, if you get stuck, just post here, and i'll do my best.
Thanks for the quick response. I currently have xbmcbuntu setup and running but I will go through the mythbuntu install first and then install xbmc via your steps per above. Do you have any recommendations setting up mythtv with a hdhomerun prime by chance?
(2013-02-04, 00:00)buddylee7 Wrote: Thanks for the quick response. I currently have xbmcbuntu setup and running but I will go through the mythbuntu install first and then install xbmc via your steps per above. Do you have any recommendations setting up mythtv with a hdhomerun prime by chance?

The only reason I say start with Mythbuntu over XBMCbuntu is that it's a bit easier to get Myth up and running. It's set so you install, answer a few questions, and its up and working. Out of all the parts that are required, to me at least, Myth is the most difficult. Once Myth is up and running XBMC is really the easy part.

I have both a HDHR-US (ATSC) and a HDHR3-CC (Prime)
They are both extremely easy to set up as there are defaults in Myth for them. The only thing that isn't listed is the multiplexing. HDHR-US can multiplex 2 extra tuners (so it looks like 4 separate tuners, you have 2 physical, 2 virtual). Myth knows how to configure them, so just add your tuners, and it will be good. Now for the HDHR Prime, it will do the same, but CC can't be multiplexed (last I read) so you need to just make sure that you only have 1 tuner set. As soon as my backend is done recording I can bring it up to tell you the exact setting, but I can't right now. I know its in the section where you add your tuners.

Also, if you are in the US, I highly suggest using Schedules Direct as your feed for your channels. I've been using them for the last few years and can't say enough good things about them. http://www.schedulesdirect.org/
I like the XBMCbuntu shell better than the Mythbuntu shell.

You can search for the Myth Control Center in XBMCbuntu and install that. Once you install the myth control center you have all of the benefits of Mythbuntu IMO. It's a personal preference.

As a long time windows user and linux newb that's the combo that I liked best. (I ended up ditching linux and going back to windows for my HTPCs and use Windows Media Center as my pseudo back end for PVR/live TV).
(2013-02-03, 23:44)djroketboy Wrote: I don't have a step by step, but I can try and help you.

First I would grab Mythbuntu and install it on a dedicated Machine.
http://www.mythbuntu.org/downloads

Configure Myth. Use Mythfrontend (comes with it) to test and make sure everything is working the way you want. Mainly make sure that your tuners are working, and you have the channels you want. There are a 238490238490823904823 settings on Mythbackend, and the Myth Wiki isn't always up to date, so searching Google or the MythTV users archive is a good way to figure out what settings do. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/
Subscribe to MythTV Users mailing list to ask your questions about getting MythTV working. http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users/
Do not ask about setting up XBMC, you can do that here.

When setting up Mythbackend, make sure you use IP's and NOT localhost, using localhost will make it so you can't connect any remote front ends if you ever want to. I use static DHCP reservations, but using static IP's will work as well. Whichever is more comfortable, or easy for you. Its been a while, but I also think there is a setting

Next install add the XBMC repo. "sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa"
Then "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-pvr-mythtv-cmyth"

Start up XBMC, go to System --> Add-ons --> Disabled Add-ons" --> PVR Clients
Select the Myth plugin, install it, configure it (the password is on the General Screen in Mythbackend)
Then enable it, go back to System --> LiveTV and enable it.

I've done most of this from memory, if you get stuck, just post here, and i'll do my best.

Thank you very much for this and now I am up and running but one last question. I want it to boot up right now into xbmc...how do I automate that? noob....

First, you want to go to your autostart directory.
cd $HOME/.config/autostart

Then, create a link to /usr/share/applications/xbmc.desktop
ln -s /usr/share/applications/xbmc.desktop xbmc.desktop

You might need to log out of your current X session, and chose "XBMC" as the default login.
One last thing you need to mention, go to the mybuntu control center under the system tab of the menu. When there click on mysql on the right hand side and click on enable mysql serve via Ethernet. This allows the xbmc to be on another computer. It took me 3-4 days to set up a mythtv 6 years ago, now, about an hour. But, I am new to XBMC
Good call, thanks.
(2013-02-13, 19:28)efolse Wrote: One last thing you need to mention, go to the mybuntu control center under the system tab of the menu. When there click on mysql on the right hand side and click on enable mysql serve via Ethernet. This allows the xbmc to be on another computer. It took me 3-4 days to set up a mythtv 6 years ago, now, about an hour. But, I am new to XBMC

Thanks for all your help thus far! I have everything up and running but haven't had time to get around to messing with the boot settings.
(2013-02-04, 00:11)djroketboy Wrote: [quote='buddylee7' pid='1322750' dateline='1359928851']
I have both a HDHR-US (ATSC) and a HDHR3-CC (Prime)
They are both extremely easy to set up as there are defaults in Myth for them. The only thing that isn't listed is the multiplexing. HDHR-US can multiplex 2 extra tuners (so it looks like 4 separate tuners, you have 2 physical, 2 virtual). Myth knows how to configure them, so just add your tuners, and it will be good.
actually you can do more virtual tuners than that. Mine is set at 5 per real tuner, a total of 10 for the hdhr box.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-02-10, 23:12)djroketboy Wrote: First, you want to go to your autostart directory.
cd $HOME/.config/autostart

Then, create a link to /usr/share/applications/xbmc.desktop
ln -s /usr/share/applications/xbmc.desktop xbmc.desktop

You might need to log out of your current X session, and chose "XBMC" as the default login.

Just got this up and running and cannot thank you enough. On another note though all of a sudden my xbmc still sees mythtv running in the background and the channels from the tuner but when I go to select a channel it I get the spinning wheel like its thinking but does nothing. Any thoughts? It was working perfectly a couple of days ago.
Do you mean that mythfrontend is running as well?

If both are starting you can disable mythfrontend from starting in the myth control centre
My setup is mythbuntu frontend machine with xbmc launched from a mythfrontend menu item - there is no difficulty with mythfrontend continuing to run in the background.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Step by step setup for xbmcbuntu and mythtv backend0