my first htpc build
Hi guys
Wanted to take a second, say hi and thank everyone for the inspiration to finally build my first htpc. I just about have everything dialed the way I like it, but the process is ever ever evolving. Does anyone ever finish building there's?
Here is a quick run down of my budget friendly (broke father of 2 girls) box as it sits now:
asrock h67 mitx
intel i3 3.1ghz sandybridge
8gb ram
nvidia gt640
128gb samsung ssd
2tb seagate barracuda
cheepo dvd burner
fractal core 1000 matx

planning on adding silverstone grandia gd04, and a blu ray burner (though linux seems to hate them)

any pro's/cons on the gd04? i have been reading fairly solid reviews on newegg about it.

bit overkill but I like the specs Smile
yes, I understand its a bit much for a lot of builds that I have read about, I always try to give myself some room incase say I want to use steam and play some games (when its done, if its not already)
I ordered up a new case, getting the fractal node-605 it should be arriving today.

starting to look into a fan less power supply and would like to go modular, does anyone have a recommendations? I don't think I should need more than 450-480 watts for my setup? not an expert though.
thanks
I bet for the same price you could get an IvyBridge H77/i3-3220 setup. You'll save some money by going micro-ATX in the Node 605 which will also give you room for a slimline optical drive. If you put in an ATX motherboard there's no room for the optical drive.
(2013-02-18, 16:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I bet for the same price you could get an IvyBridge H77/i3-3220 setup. You'll save some money by going micro-ATX in the Node 605 which will also give you room for a slimline optical drive. If you put in an ATX motherboard there's no room for the optical drive.

good call on the motherboard size. looking at the case i thought my m-itx was going to be lost in there. once built i think its just right for what i am looking for. i am pretty impressed with the case though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my first htpc build0