Mac mini remote unreliable in Frodo
Hi All,

Fairly new to XBMC but have been testing it out on three different machines - a Windows XP PC, a Dell laptop hackintosh running OS X 10.6.8 and now a 2007 Mac Mini (1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram) also running 10.6.8.

The problem I'm having is that the remote control doesn't work reliably on the Mac Mini, button presses are frequently "lost", as often as 1 in 3 to 1 in 5 button presses just go missing regardless of whether I press rapidly or slowly. This is most apparent when scrolling through lists one by one but happens elsewhere on the main menus etc.

I am using a harmony one remote and had been setting up the Plex Player profile with XBMC set in "Multi Remtote (Harmony)" mode, and the functionality of the buttons is all working fine, and after tweaking the inter key delay to 100ms and reducing repeats to 1 (as advised elsewhere) most of the response lag is gone as well, (harmony remotes are notoriously laggy at the best of times...) however a slight lag combined with roughly 1 in 5 key presses ignored makes for a very frustrating user experience.

I decided to go back to basics in troubleshooting the issue, so I changed XBMC back to "Standard" Apple remote and did some testing with the original white apple remote. Although there is slightly less lag than the Harmony one (as expected) the intermittent loss of button presses is still there and just as bad! Sometimes even 1 in 3 button presses is lost, sometimes 1 in 5 or so. It seems to vary with how "busy" xbmc is, for example it occurs less often scrolling sideways in the main menu and more often scrolling at the bottom of a list of movies.

Now thinking that perhaps I have IR interference in the room, a flat battery in the remote etc, I decided to test the white Apple remote under the same room conditions in Front Row - absolutely PERFECT. Not a single lost button press when scrolling through lists even when clicking fairly rapidly. So that rules out the remote, the room, and the IR receiver in the mini.

I do currently have Candalair drivers installed however I only installed them in an attempt to fix the problem, the problem was there with the standard apple IR drivers, in fact candalair doesn't seem to have made any noticeable difference to anything so I may remove it.

I've tried both exclusive mode ("Allow start of XBMC using the remote") and shared mode - no difference.

Now heres an interesting thing - the hackintosh machine, which is a Dell Insipron 1520 running 10.6.8 has an IR receiver of its own, when I add a profile for the dell IR on my harmony one (which I assume is some sort of MCE remote, or maybe proprietary) it works with XBMC under Mac OS for standard 4 way direction, menu and ok, and running the same version of frodo with the same OS version the remote works perfectly - a slight lag as always with a harmony one, but NO lost button presses even when vertically scrolling in lists!

So I can only assume there is some problem in Frodo with the Apple IR receiver. No doubt if I connected a 3rd party IR receiver to the Mac Mini I could solve the problem but I'd really like to get the internal one working properly if I can since the machine was bought specifically to build a HTPC, and I'm quite happy to do various testing/debugging to find out what it is if I know where to start looking.

In all other regards Frodo is working brilliantly even on the old Core 2 Duo, everything works fast and reliably (apart from the remote) high def video plays perfectly, so I'm otherwise very impressed with it. Smile
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Hi,

I also had the same issue with my Apple remote... for me it turned out that I didn't uninstall Remote Buddy properly (after testing it), so deleting /System/Library/Extensions/RBIOKitHelper.kext manually solved it for me (that's the Remote Buddy driver).

In another thread someone mentioned that his LCD TV did interfere and after turning off the light sensor the remote worked fine (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124776).

Not sure if this helps but wanted to share...
Thanks for replying.

I double checked and the Remote Buddy kext is not installed. I also tried the paper over the sensor suggestion - no change. (I have a CRT TV anyway, not an LCD)

I've just done the following test - exclusive access for the remote disabled in XBMC to allow me to use Front Row, launched Front Row, pressed the down button repeatedly at the bottom of a list to get a "bloop" noise for each button press, I can press the button 50 times in a row (yes I counted) twice a second without a single button press being lost by Front Row.

It doesn't matter where in the room I point the remote, nor whether I use the original white Apple remote, or my Harmony One universal remote - no lost button presses whatsoever. (I'm actually surprised as the harmony is not the greatest when it comes to IR reliability)

I also tried it in iTunes and controlling the system volume, with no lost button presses at all.

If I then launch XBMC 12, even just scrolling horizontally through the main menu or vertically through the shutdown menu approximately 3 in 10 button presses are lost at random.

There is no doubt that the issue I'm seeing is a software issue not a hardware or IR interference issue, but I have no idea what to try next. It is certainly frustrating to use when button presses are frequently lost, especially when it sometimes happens twice in a row.

I've attached a debug log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=35132
i have two mac minis, a 2011 base model and a late 2012 i7 four core model.

i have had no issues with remotes with either of them, using the harmony one and remote buddy (following the mini harmony tutorial setup).

http://miniharmony.blogspot.co.uk

i since have switched to windows 7 bootcamp on the 2012 model to get hd audio in frodo and have no end of issues with rc6 remote (hp transceiver), terrible lag and lost commands.
I wonder if remote buddy could be a workaround ? If I used it to map button presses on the Harmony remote to keyboard presses on the Mac so that XBMC sees key presses instead of remote button presses... assuming the problem is XBMC having trouble receiving remote button presses...

The problem with that is it seems like a lot of extra complication and expense when it should be working as is... I'm perfectly happy with the functionality of the button mappings as they are now with the plex profile (complete with custom functions on the touch screen mapped to function key codes in the plex profile that are then mapped to particular functions in XBMC) and the input lag is also acceptable (about normal for a harmony one) its only the random missing of button presses that is driving me crazy.
Found this thread from two years ago with XBMC version 9, same problem, no resolution:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78091

I've done some testing with Remote buddy, mapped the Apple remote to send virtual cursor key presses instead of remote button presses, the result is that the same missed presses occur.

What's even more interesting is that if I have only text edit running with a document open then press the direction buttons on the remote to move the cursor around it moves perfectly with no lost presses, however if I then launch XBMC and leave it running behind the text edit window text edit now misses button presses (mapped to cursor keys) randomly just like XBMC!

It seems that when XBMC is running even Remote Buddy and text edit are losing button presses. The plot thickens...
More results from testing.

I read somewhere that AppleIRController.kext changed behaviour in 10.6.2 so I tried downgrading AppleIRController.kext from 2.6 (supplied with 10.6.8) to 2.0 (supplied on the 10.6.0 Snow Leopard install disc) with no change. It was worth a try...

Next I tried running XBMCHelper from the command line in verbose mode to watch the debugging messages - when button presses are missed, no button event is reported by XBMCHelper - not surprising. XBMCHelper is apparently not receiving any button press events from the operating system.

Here is the crucial thing however - if I exit from XBMC but leave XBMCHelper running in verbose mode, button press events are reported for each button press, with NO missed button press events!

Further experiments:

Launch XBMCHelper manually, launch XBMC, leave XBMC running in the background, launch Front Row, exit XBMC Helper so that the remote will operate Front Row - Front Row responds to every single button press despite XBMC running in the background.

Furthermore if I start Front Row playing a video and re-launch XBMC Helper, Front Row does not interfere with XBMC Helper receiving button presses - none are missed.

Somehow when XBMC is running, XBMCHelper starts to miss button press events...

Hopefully this is helpful to the devs.
Wow, great detective work DBMandrake. This may not be high on the list of issues, but hopefully the devs can eventually take a look. Perhaps you should file a bug report with the information you've gathered.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2013-02-12, 22:29)sparklyballs Wrote: i have two mac minis, a 2011 base model and a late 2012 i7 four core model.

i have had no issues with remotes with either of them, using the harmony one and remote buddy (following the mini harmony tutorial setup).

http://miniharmony.blogspot.co.uk

i since have switched to windows 7 bootcamp on the 2012 model to get hd audio in frodo and have no end of issues with rc6 remote (hp transceiver), terrible lag and lost commands.

Did you find any solution to your probs with remote of win7 through bootcamp?
I'm asking because I can't wake my mini within bootcamped win7... Are there some settings needed to be done in windows, to make it work (wake it up) ?
Kindly
Jan
I had given up on ever solving this problem until recently but I recently switched skins from Confluence to Aeon Nox and found that the missed remote control button presses issue got MUCH worse with a more CPU/GPU heavy theme. Sad So much so that the remote control is almost unusable as out of 10 button presses as many as half will be lost. Trying to use the remote control to enter a search term with the on screen keyboard is nearly impossible unless you have the patience of a saint.

I looked around for alternatives including running Windows on the Mac Mini (not feasible with the built in IR receiver due to unsolvable Apple IR driver issues in windows that can't even be worked around with 3rd party software) and using a 3rd party external IR receiver in Mac OS. (Not that practical either as few are Mac compatible and have more than 6 buttons)

So I decided to do a bit of further investigation. First I installed the latest version of Lion on another partition to see if it was a problem with Snow Leopard - nope, exactly the same. I tried both 10.7.0 and 10.7.5. A 2007 Mac mini can't run Mountain Lion so I couldn't try that.

I then tried to eliminate XBMCHelper as the cause of the problem. First I launched XBMC normally, then killed the XBMCHelper process to return remote control access back to the system (up/down controlling system volume etc) and then tested the remote to see how reliably it would respond to volume up/down commands. The result - even with XBMCHelper not running just the act of having XBMC running in the foreground was enough to make the remote unresponsive (missing around 4-5 button presses out of 10) even though it was the system volume (with the onscreen volume icon and audible click) that was being controlled.

Clearly something XBMC is doing is upsetting the OS, IR driver, or IR receiver hardware in some way that is causing lost events when the system is "busy". My next breakthrough was the discovery that the problem only occurs to any significant degree on the XBMC menus and it does NOT (or almost never) occurs during video playback.

With Aeon Nox as the theme (which causes the issue much worse than Confluence) if I am in the Movie list view and repeatedly click up or down at least half a second apart around half the clicks are lost. However if I am playing full screen video with no UI elements open I can click back or forward to jump a minute back or forward 20 times in a row without a single click being lost. (well, maybe one out of 20, for a 1080p video) I can also click up or down to utilize the built in XBMC volume adjustment 20 times in a row with no lost clicks. Go back to one of the main menus and clicks are lost again.

I thought perhaps the way the menus are being rendered could be doing something unusual in the video driver (perhaps causing interrupts to be disabled for an extended period of time) so I tried enabling dirty regions mode 1 - the gui performance in aeon nox improved a noticeable amount but it didn't help with the lost remote clicks.

Am I really the only person to ever experience this issue with a 2007 Mac mini's IR remote in XBMC ? Sad Searching the internet turns up nothing relevant apart from this message thread...

I suspect my only solution would be an external USB IR receiver that simulates a keyboard and outputs keyboard events, plus a whole lot of manually set up key mapping to get the same functionality I have now with the Plex profile in Harmony remote mode in XBMC...
(2013-04-22, 01:11)DBMandrake Wrote: Am I really the only person to ever experience this issue with a 2007 Mac mini's IR remote in XBMC ?

I know it's not much help, but I don't have any such problem with the 2012 Mac Mini, Mountain Lion, Harmony 880 through Plex Player, and Frodo.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
My findings:

Silver remote is working just fine with Mac HW, though very annoying problem for me is it keeps indefinitely wrap-scrolling when you hold up/down - does not stop at the and of a list. Seems not easy to fix by devs.

My Harmony never worked fine. I had not lost presses but there was always a lag - impossible to use for kids. This seems to be Apple IR receiver problem.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Simple answer but...

My 2 apple remotes usually work fine and fast.

The problem of the "missing clicks" happens when their battery begins to get low. Just replace batteries and see if it solves your problem

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac mini remote unreliable in Frodo0