O-Droid U2 Linux Hardware Acceleration
Hey guys,

So I'm seriously considering getting a couple of O-Droid U2 boards, since they look awesome, and it looks like the ODroid devs will shortly be releasing Linux hw accelerated drivers for the graphics chip.

But, I'm slightly confused at the moment as to if this would equate to hw accel in XBMC (when running on Linux) on this board, or if it would need special work from XBMC's side to support whatever hw acceleration is used by this chip?

I only ask, as I know there are various things that were done to take advantage of VAAPI, VDPAU etc.. would something similar be needed for this, or does it use some 'standard' for acceleration?

I'm not looking for dates of when XBMC will be running perfectly on this thing, just interested in how much work would be required to get it going Smile
work in progress, see libstagefright thread for android, there are other plans once this device has proper mali drivers in linux..
Thanks davilla, good to hear Smile

I remember seeing in another thread that you were playing with the Odroid - what do you think of it so far?
I would not be playing with it if I did not think they showed promise Smile
Heh, true.

My finger is hovering over that order button, as soon as the mali drivers become a reality for linux I think I'll be making the jump.
(2013-02-03, 14:47)Swifty Wrote: it looks like the ODroid devs will shortly be releasing Linux hw accelerated drivers for the graphics chip.
what made you think that?

I wonder what they are waiting for, since the board is out since months... Cool

(2013-02-04, 23:22)ciquta Wrote: what made you think that?

I wonder what they are waiting for, since the board is out since months... Cool

Check their forums, it was mentioned they had hoped to release end on Jan 13, but they are currently fixing some framebuffer issue.

The delay seemed to be due to them having to try and get hold of the mali DDK - ie. red tape Smile
(2013-02-03, 17:27)davilla Wrote: I would not be playing with it if I did not think they showed promise Smile

What are your thoughts of it so far?
(2013-02-05, 00:36)fleeball Wrote:
(2013-02-03, 17:27)davilla Wrote: I would not be playing with it if I did not think they showed promise Smile

What are your thoughts of it so far?

quad-core goodness Smile
That is what I wanted to hear. Can't wait for XBMC to be fully supported on this device. Once a Video HW acceleration is implemented I will be purchasing a few Smile
(2013-02-03, 17:27)davilla Wrote: quad-core goodness Smile

Just a another quick question. How does it compare to any of the other ARM hardware you have at your disposal?
smoken Smile the nearest I have is the nexus N7, tegra3 and also quad-core.
Smile now just have to wait until the dev's work their magic.
(2013-02-03, 15:39)davilla Wrote: work in progress, see libstagefright thread for android, there are other plans once this device has proper mali drivers in linux..

Drivers have been released...
Now it's time for even more teasing Big Grin
The board has lots of promise, but has some serious networking issues. Reports of slow/spotty WiFi and in my case -- Ethernet can't seem to connect higher than 10mpbs in android or linaro. Super frustrating because if that worked properly this board would be rockin'. Networking issues look VERY similar to the ones the Pi had.

In the meantime, I have shelved my u2 and ordered a xios. Need to deliver something to my wife. Wish the devs would focus on making the board stable before adding features. Had to wait a month just to get a fix for the lock up with heavy network traffic. *sigh*
mdrjr (member from hardkernel) said on the official odroid forums that xbmc devs are "working on a version for X11 that has MFC support on Linux". Can anyone confirm this and give us details about the current status?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
O-Droid U2 Linux Hardware Acceleration0