NFS share from Windows server 2012
I have setup a Windows Server 2012 Essentials as a replacement for my WHS and since SMB shares is not very well liked on my AppleTV I tried using NFS instead. I got the share setup according to this guide http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archi...o-end.aspx

When using the setting "allow anonymous access" and set the share permissions to all machines I thought the NFS share would be available to all machines on my home network. But I can't get XBMC to connect all it spits out is:

10:28:00 T:138395648 ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of // failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"
10:28:00 T:122011648 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.0.118/filmer/
10:28:00 T:122011648 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.0.118/filmer/) failed

I get to see all the folders shared with NFS but when i try to go into one of them, I get this error. I'm guessing there is something i haven't understood about setting it up security wise?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17494920/servercap.PNG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17494920/servercap2.PNG
check the filesystem permissions (there are multiple levels of access rights when it comes to nfs). Also read the nfs wiki link in my signature. The server needs to allow connections from non-privileged ports. Also most windows users trying to setup a nfs server end up using hanewin because the microsoft shit just doesn't cut it.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the answer Memphiz Wink I had already read your guide, but I still can't figure out why it gives me a hard time Wink
File system permissions should as far as I understand been taken care of by adding the IP address of my ATV2 in "NFS share permissions"
And if the server does not allow connections from non-privileged ports why do I get a correct directory listing?

P.S. SMB works just fine at my network so this is just to be on the best possible system

Pp.S. Good job with Frodo Wink
(2013-02-04, 17:08)Eliah Wrote: File system permissions should as far as I understand been taken care of by adding the IP address of my ATV2 in "NFS share permissions"

Nope - thats the thing users keep stumbling over. Ip access is the first step. Second step are the fine grained file system permissions for the mapped user id (not sure how unix user ids are mapped to windows users tbh).

(2013-02-04, 17:08)Eliah Wrote: And if the server does not allow connections from non-privileged ports why do I get a correct directory listing?

I can't answer that one - but thats how it manifests mostly for other users aswell. They can see the exported dirs - but are not allowed to read stuff from there.

(2013-02-04, 17:08)Eliah Wrote: Pp.S. Good job with Frodo Wink

Thx (not quite sure if this is true though Wink ).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Just something to consider, I banged my head against the wall for months chasing every lead presented in the wiki and in multiple threads on this forum for an issue very much like the one you describe. Finally the issue was solved by simply getting the most up to date NIC drivers from my chipset manufacturer's website.
I know this is late but I just ran into similar issues setting up NFS shares on Windows Server 2012 Essentials and sharing over to XBMC running on Pi (OpenElec) and Windows 8.1 HTPC system. While searching for solutions I ran across this post and thought I should reply what ended up working for me to possibly help others in the future. I followed the recommended posts as previously mentioned (and other google searches on setting up NFS) but still ran into issues when browsing for NFS on XBMC that I could see my server listed by IP and could see the shared directories but could not add them and could not see any files in them. I finally found a hint somewhere that it could be permissions with trying to share "ServerFolders" that were already shared via SMB. That led me to create a new test share C:\NFS_Test and copy over a couple of .avi and .mp3 Bingo now I could add this new NFS_Test share and see the files in XBMC. Looking at the differences between shares in Windows Server 2012 Server Manager, I found the one that worked C:\NFS_Test had "Everyone" read/execute permissions while my other "ServerFolder" shares (Videos and Music) did not. I added "Everyone" read/execute permissions to those "ServerFolder" shares (Videos and Music) and then I was able to add them to XBMC NFS Sources and see all the files. It’s been working since. The only issue I've had is that sometimes when I add new files to the ServerFolder shares they do not inherit the "Everyone" read/execute permissions and I have to go back in to Server Manager and re-apply "Everyone" permissions.
That is why nfs in windows world is just bullshit if you ask me (you can't map unix user ids to windows user ids in a proper way). Giving the world write access to a share is not wise. I know its only lan - but as i always say - keep using smb in the windows world and nfs where it belongs to ... but just as my 2 cents.
In windows SMB the permissions on shares are enumerated as the smallest permissions from both the legacy share permissions and the modern NTFS permissions.

It is best practice to set the share permissions to everyone full access and configure the access using NTFS permissions.

It is possible this legacy way of working with share permission is also applicable to windows NFS shares, eg set the share permissions to full access and then dish out the actual permissions within NFS.
(2014-02-06, 11:08)Memphiz Wrote: That is why nfs in windows world is just bullshit if you ask me (you can't map unix user ids to windows user ids in a proper way). Giving the world write access to a share is not wise. I know its only lan - but as i always say - keep using smb in the windows world and nfs where it belongs to ... but just as my 2 cents.

This is not true, you have plenty of ways to map unix user ids to windows user ids properly. http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archi...-2012.aspx I have it working fine on my windows NFS server without any issues at all.
(2014-02-05, 23:38)quazzi_motto Wrote: I know this is late but I just ran into similar issues setting up NFS shares on Windows Server 2012 Essentials and sharing over to XBMC running on Pi (OpenElec) and Windows 8.1 HTPC system. While searching for solutions I ran across this post and thought I should reply what ended up working for me to possibly help others in the future. I followed the recommended posts as previously mentioned (and other google searches on setting up NFS) but still ran into issues when browsing for NFS on XBMC that I could see my server listed by IP and could see the shared directories but could not add them and could not see any files in them. I finally found a hint somewhere that it could be permissions with trying to share "ServerFolders" that were already shared via SMB. That led me to create a new test share C:\NFS_Test and copy over a couple of .avi and .mp3 Bingo now I could add this new NFS_Test share and see the files in XBMC. Looking at the differences between shares in Windows Server 2012 Server Manager, I found the one that worked C:\NFS_Test had "Everyone" read/execute permissions while my other "ServerFolder" shares (Videos and Music) did not. I added "Everyone" read/execute permissions to those "ServerFolder" shares (Videos and Music) and then I was able to add them to XBMC NFS Sources and see all the files. It’s been working since. The only issue I've had is that sometimes when I add new files to the ServerFolder shares they do not inherit the "Everyone" read/execute permissions and I have to go back in to Server Manager and re-apply "Everyone" permissions.

8 months down the road and late, but this worked for me. Had to say thanks
(2014-02-05, 23:38)quazzi_motto Wrote: I know this is late but I just ran into similar issues setting up NFS shares on Windows Server 2012 Essentials and sharing over to XBMC running on Pi (OpenElec) and Windows 8.1 HTPC system. While searching for solutions I ran across this post and thought I should reply what ended up working for me to possibly help others in the future. I followed the recommended posts as previously mentioned (and other google searches on setting up NFS) but still ran into issues when browsing for NFS on XBMC that I could see my server listed by IP and could see the shared directories but could not add them and could not see any files in them. I finally found a hint somewhere that it could be permissions with trying to share "ServerFolders" that were already shared via SMB. That led me to create a new test share C:\NFS_Test and copy over a couple of .avi and .mp3 Bingo now I could add this new NFS_Test share and see the files in XBMC. Looking at the differences between shares in Windows Server 2012 Server Manager, I found the one that worked C:\NFS_Test had "Everyone" read/execute permissions while my other "ServerFolder" shares (Videos and Music) did not. I added "Everyone" read/execute permissions to those "ServerFolder" shares (Videos and Music) and then I was able to add them to XBMC NFS Sources and see all the files. It’s been working since. The only issue I've had is that sometimes when I add new files to the ServerFolder shares they do not inherit the "Everyone" read/execute permissions and I have to go back in to Server Manager and re-apply "Everyone" permissions.
for what it's worth...

Your post helped me years later, when trying to get NFS set up for the Kodi version that just became available for XBOX.

Thanks!
OMG THANK YOU FOR THIS.

I was struggling with this as well. I was converting from SMB to NFS. I had to edit security permissions for my files to add "everyone" in and have it be recursive. I owe you a beer, or 10, dude.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS share from Windows server 20120