Req Live TV - Easy navigation
I use XBMC to watch Live TV allot. I think the navigation could be easier if some navigation functions change.

First change:
When you open the EPG timeline (I press the "guide" button on my remotecontrol) it should close when you press the same "guide" button again.

I've solved this for myself by changing the MCE remote setting to send the "tab" keyboard key when I press the "clear" button on my remotecontrol.

Second change:
When choosing a tv channel in the EPG timeline with the "ok" button on my remotecontrol (sends enter/return key) I get a popup with the tv channel info and then I have to choose "switch" to actually change channel.

I don't see the logic in this action.

When I press "info" button on my remote I get the same popup. Why not leave the "info" button as it is and change the "ok" button to change to that channel directly.
Your first is just a personal preference (which I agree with) that they intended to be fixed in the remote.xml file.

Your second change is also possible but is currently a hidden advancedsettings.xml entry.

<pvr>
<showepginfoonselect>false</showepginfoonselect>
</pvr>

I agree that this should be the default action or at the least a more easily accessible option. As long as I have an option I'm ok, though.
Thanx for the information.

First thing I'm going to do when I get home tonight is change the xml file.
Tested it and it worked.

At first it didn't work, but that was because I didn't include <advancedsettings> at the start and </advancedsettings> at the end of the XML file.
Hello All,

Thanks for the above information.

In releation to the requested 1st change - I agree too that if the EPG is already on diplay then pressing the EPG button again should close it - this is the default HCI behaviour of almost all set-top boxes and other HTPC-PVR software.

2nd change - I think that pressing the "OK" button over an EPG entry that is currently playing (i.e. Live), then indeed the default behaviour should switch straight to that channel. However, EPG entries that are not currently playing (i.e. future timeline entries) then the existing behaviour, "Programme Info" pop-up context menu should appear to give the user the option to record this future event.

Many thanks,
Guy
my god I just found this and enabled that in the advance settings, it really was bothering me

but like guyrichie said, for a channel that's currently playing it should switch right away, for something on later it should pop up the info screen. maybe this is why it was left out for now? still needs work?

Either way I personally prefer to have it change channel right away rather than pop up the info screen. I just need to remember to press info for those times i want to schedule a recording is all
I sure hope, now that 2nd change has been implemented, someone will do the 1st change on a global level.
Hello All,

To embrace the 2nd change (working in Gotham), download xbmc source code via git, switch to Gotham branch and edit the following file:

"path-to-downloaded-source-files"/xbmc/pvr/windows/GUIWindowPVRGuide.cpp

Find line nr 381, coloured red here:

case ACTION_SELECT_ITEM:
case ACTION_MOUSE_LEFT_CLICK:
switch(CSettings::Get().GetInt("epg.selectaction"))
{
case EPG_SELECT_ACTION_CONTEXT_MENU:
m_parent->OnPopupMenu(iItem);
break;
case EPG_SELECT_ACTION_SWITCH:
ActionPlayEpg(pItem.get());
break;
case EPG_SELECT_ACTION_INFO:
ShowEPGInfo(pItem.get());
break;
case EPG_SELECT_ACTION_RECORD:
ActionRecord(pItem.get());
break;
}

Delete and substitute for:

{
if (pItem->GetEPGInfoTag()->StartAsLocalTime() <= CDateTime::GetCurrentDateTime() && pItem->GetEPGInfoTag()->EndAsLocalTime() >= CDateTime::GetCurrentDateTime())
ActionPlayEpg(pItem.get());
else
ShowEPGInfo(pItem.get());
break;
}

Then build as usual. Once complete, load XBMC and enable "Switch to channel" in System>Settings>LiveTV>EPG>Default select action.

Many thanks,
Guy
Had about the same idea but another approach, see here;
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1712640

(2014-05-17, 17:51)Woppie Wrote: Love the skin, but I got a question/idea about the live tv section.
For years I used media portal and I got sort of used to how you change channels there;
to the left or right for channel groups and up or down for channel selection.
This way you can navigate very fast and see what's on what channel, especially if you got 125+ tv channels.

The skin that comes with Gotham, Confluence, got this sort of but in a twist; you can go sideways for groups but channel switching only by pressing enter and selecting the appropriate icon.
Here's an example as how that would look like;

It would make the live tv section feel less clunky on the remote; that's how it feels to me now.
Also changing channels with loosing the tv picture isn't exactly that great either, now you don't see a thing at all but such a menu would be really great in half transparency Smile
And half the size would probably be even better; the sample takes almost the full screen.
Last thing; I really like the next (volgende in picture) at that place; makes me hardly use the EPG except for like once a day to see what's on when.

Also defaulting to the last used group would be awesome, and also the option to hide the all channels group...
But indeed the way it is now is a bit clunky... and probably it isn't that hard to change or give as option Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV - Easy navigation0