disabling shutdown on heat warning
Hi,
when the temperature of my system go beyond 70° C, XBMC constantly ask me to shutdown (Shutdown menu popping up).
Is there a way to disable this feature (I know that it can be risky) ?

My system is:
Foxconn NT330i, Ubuntu 12.04 (Mate DE), XBMC 12.0 (Frodo).

thanks for any advice
Isn't that thermal threshold set in the BIOS? Change it to a higher temperature there... but, of course, you run the risk of frying the system if you do so. You should probably take steps to ensure your system runs cooler, such as adding fans, increasing fan speed, improving airflow and case ventilation by placing your system on an open shelf instead of inside an enclosed cabinet, removing the case cover, etc.

It appears(?) this system sends some kind of virtual/emulated "power-button" press when it overheats instead of immediately shutting down. And if "power-button" is mapped to the XBMC Shutdown menu, that's why it keeps popping up when the system gets too hot. Discussed in this thread (in which you are already participating): http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154441

In other words, this is not an XBMC problem per se. Take care of your thermal issue and you won't see this menu popping up. And it's weird that this particular system doesn't simply shut off the power when it overheats instead of faking a "power-button" press. Again, this is not something that XBMC has control over.
Thanks for your reply artrafael.
The nt330 bios is very simple and it have no way to change the heat threshold or fan speed (it's a compact device, not a common PC).
I supposed there was an issue with XBMC because it didn't happen with the previuos version (Eden 11.0).
Probably Frodo is more expensive in terms of CPU usage or some other process is overheating the system (but I couldn't find it).
I'm looking for a workaround, currently I keep the temperature under control by removing the top cover and by switching to a lighter skin (I previously used Aeon Nox).

PS: I opened a new thread because the other one is marked as "solved".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
disabling shutdown on heat warning0