Android Permissions
Hi there,

first of all: i tried xbmc yesterday and i was blown away. i cried with joy for some of the awesome features.
beeing a filmfan for so long i am ashamed for not getting xbmc earlier.

i wanted to test the android app as well (since a remote is really handy) but the needed permissions confused me(i am an android developer too).

why does the app need access to my sms, mms, read my contacts, telefonstate and identity?

afaik telefonstate and identity is a relict that was used back then to not block the telefonapp from android and recognizing the end of a call/app.
this is no longer needed to archive this.

can anyone explain why this permissions got implemented? thanks
the remote has the option to pause on incoming call, and to scroll sms messages across the screen. this is probably why.
the first one is reasonable. the second rather unnecessary.
i will install the app with limited rights then i guess. thanks for the info
You can also try alternatives that provide the functionality as plugins to limit permissions required when not using them Smile
ah neat!

do you have one specific in your mind that you would recommend? i can see several in the playstore.
gonna go throu them.

i tested yatse and its superb. (did not test the original thou).

thanks for your work guys!Cool
You're welcome Smile Hard to get known but users usually don't regret trying Yatse Smile
Hello there!

I am a newbee and didn't want to polute any other thread with my question, but I now have an android (htc one m8) and think it is way much better than my not too old iphone. And am fascinating with things it can do. One of them is, when watching on xbmc (mine is 12.3), it has the ability to pause the media when receiving a call. That's my problem: I get the notification on screen, including people's face but xbmc is not paused... Am I doing something wrong? Please, help. I DO love this function on the official remote...

Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate.

Best regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Permissions0