Linux HOWTO: Install Netflix on xbmcbuntu 12.0 frodo addon
(2013-03-20, 20:11)fnc1 Wrote: Cladmonitor what did you have to do to fix this?

I wanted to control my box via VNC when I first set it up so I installed x11vnc, apparently regardless if your viewing it the display driver hook for X wants to poll and update. Also I noticed every crashlog was riddled with dumps regarding plexhelper, I pulled it because I really don't care if my watched list is up-to-date and I dont use plex for content management just to transcode and watch on iOS and Android.
tried this out the other day, and it never would play the videos I selected, just went to a black screen and froze. Anyone else experience this?

How is the streaming quality-- worth the hassle of getting it setup?
(2013-03-20, 20:58)sthomas13 Wrote: tried this out the other day, and it never would play the videos I selected, just went to a black screen and froze. Anyone else experience this?

How is the streaming quality-- worth the hassle of getting it setup?

Can you get this application to function outside of XBMC properly?

Are you using XBMC on a Desktop install of linux or is this XBMCbuntu?
(2013-03-21, 06:58)cladmonitor Wrote: Can you get this application to function outside of XBMC properly?

Are you using XBMC on a Desktop install of linux or is this XBMCbuntu?

I'm using xbmcbuntu... Can't get it to work period, I was trying it out before I tried integrating it with XBMC
So any update on the issue with the sound and the video shaking?
Thanks very much I am able to use Netflix perfectly.

I did not have to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
in fact the file did not exist.
But I do not have an Nvidia card. just built-in Intel.

I did have the issue where when I click the netflix icon within XBMC, it did nothing.
This is simply due to permissions. I just had to run:
'sudo chmod +x /home/<USERNAME>/.xbmc/addons/script.netflix_install/run*.sh'

I have a 'Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz' and it runs smoothly, but its running a load average of 1.8 so I doubt it will work with much less than that.

Thanks to everyone!
Quote:2)
Change your fstab This is the command i used...
****but beware if this doesnt work on yours it will mess things up:
sudo sed -i 's/errors=remount-ro/errors=remount-ro,user_xattr/' /etc/fstab
safer method is to:
sudo /etc/fstab
and add ,user_xattr after errors=remount-r on your / fs the line should look something like this when its done
UUID=XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX / ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1

Note: Don't do this, there's no reason to do this unless you're the OP for some reason.

Seriously.

If your fstab prevents you from using netflix for some reason, fix it *AFTER* you install everything else. Don't go about breaking your computer in the off chance that it makes a difference, because it probably won't.
Is this topic still active? I followed all your advice and got speaker-test to work while xbmc is running, and I can run netflix-desktop as a stand alone or through advanced launcher, but when I run netflix no sound. I can run speaker-test with no parameters while netflix is playing, and hear the speaker test, but no netflix sound ;-(.

Any ideas?

Also any clue about the jerky video? I run 'top' while the video is playing and I still have plenty of CPU, but still jerky video.

Thanks all!
(2013-08-10, 03:32)xb4me Wrote: Is this topic still active? I followed all your advice and got speaker-test to work while xbmc is running, and I can run netflix-desktop as a stand alone or through advanced launcher, but when I run netflix no sound. I can run speaker-test with no parameters while netflix is playing, and hear the speaker test, but no netflix sound ;-(.

Any ideas?

Also any clue about the jerky video? I run 'top' while the video is playing and I still have plenty of CPU, but still jerky video.

Thanks all!

Hi xb4me, I had the same issues as you but there were solved with the upgrade to 12.1.
So i think i followed all the directions here, but when i try and run netflix in either xbmc or xbmcbuntu i get the following error, "Unable to test extended attributes at location ‘/home/xbmc/.wine-browser’."

any ideas?
Hello Friends!, I have an issue trying to add the Netflix shortcut/Add-on in within XBMCbuntu. I have downloaded the following file spudsdude-XBMC-Flicks-a644263.zip from https://codeload.github.com/spudsdude/XB...zip/master, and tried to install it by going to "Install from ZIP file, but I get the following error: " Add-ons doesn't have the correct structure".

I have also manually uncompressed the file and placed into my local xbmc folder at /home/USER/.xbmc/addons, but still I'm not able to view or add the Netflix Add-on into XBMC, so I can have a direct access to it in within the user interface.

Also I have already installed Netflix by following this how-to : hhttp://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-use-netflix-on-ubuntu. Netflix can be lunch and played just fine when login into XBMCbuntu, is just I would like the direct access from a Video Add-on on the XBMC UI.

If any help I appreciate. Thanks a Lot

XBMCbuntu 3.5.0-22 i686, XBMC 12.2 FRODO, Skin ACE
that's for XBMC-Flix... not the same as this plugin, not compatible with Linux, just wrong -- did you read the first page?
because of Microsoft Silverlight, this might never happen.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
(2013-09-13, 13:58)locomot1f Wrote: that's for XBMC-Flix... not the same as this plugin, not compatible with Linux, just wrong -- did you read the first page?
because of Microsoft Silverlight, this might never happen.

Thanks for your answer locomot1f, you're right, I double checked, and I was using wrong plugins. However the one from this post (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=nk0617Cr6) is no longer available. Do you have any other link so I can download it?.

Thanks for the help
First, thanks for taking the time to make this work. Since I know it works for a few of you, I will submitt what I have done to see what I can do to get it to work for me.

I have followed the instructions as per the guide here:
http://www.tmib.net/netflix-xbmcbuntu-using-wine

I can run Netflix from the XBMCbuntu side, however when I try and click on the netflix shortcut I created in favorites on XBMC it goes out of XMBC and into XBMCbuntu for a few seconds then reverts back to XBMC.

This is a fresh install of XBMCbuntu-12.00-RC3.AMD.iso.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot this issue?

I have tried to do the 'chmod' fix from the terminal in XBMC, but it keeps coming back with error directory not found. I am unsure what I am looking for if it is indeed a permission error.
This might no longer be an issue but when I setup Netfilx on Linux with this guide, I was getting pretty bad video tearing. I found that installing and running "compton" fixed my tearing. Here's what I did:

Install netflix-desktop
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

Install compton
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:richardgv/compton
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install compton

Download the addon here.

From XBMC, choose install addon from zip file and open the netflix addon downloaded in the previous step.

Change the scripts to be executable. (May no longer be necessary.)
Code:
chmod +x ~/.xbmc/addons/script.netflix_install/run*.sh

Change run.sh to use compton instead.
Code:
gedit ~/.xbmc/addons/script.netflix_install/run.sh

Change the contents from:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox & netflix-desktop "$1"
kill %1

To:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
compton -b
netflix-desktop "$1"
kill %1

Note: you can also change run2.sh to use compton.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOWTO: Install Netflix on xbmcbuntu 12.0 frodo addon4