Linux HOWTO: Install Netflix on xbmcbuntu 12.0 frodo addon
(2013-02-07, 10:07)rob hodge Wrote: I have gotten netflix working on xbmcuntu; here's the workarounds i have come up with.

first off, i would run the install and run netflix-desktop from a desktop session, not from xbmc the first time.
it will have to download and install some bits to get itself set up.

second- on having it grab focus: i've found this to be a problem in alot of situations involving external applications because controlling focus is usually the job of the window manager, and XBMC doesn't run one nor need one for most things it does as xmbcuntu in the stand-alone configuration. .
my solution is this script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
netflix-desktop "$1"
kill %1

what this script does is run the open box window manager in the background, then open netflix-desktop.
once netflix-desktop exits, it kills the open box.

having a window manager running will automatically assign focus to the new window, witch is full screen so there won't be any window decoration. \

right now i am using advanced launcher to launch netflix; i may try and hack my way into one of the browser plugins that is already out there as that's a cleaner, more integrated way to do it that takes advantage of the groundwork done by others on the windows platform.

one other error i came across was that i needed to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to enable compositing.

Hi, I tried your solution, but got this message: "Script failed! addon.py"
I created a Launcher on Advanced Launcher as described here: "http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3", but I found the information that Advanced Launcher is for Eden only, on the addon screen.

you are able to run it only with what you did?
I read through my log and got some lines pointing to an error on Advanced Launcher.
did you have any difficulties?

UPDATE: never mind, I figured it out. I was using the original addon, from XBMC repository. I just installed the Angelcry repository, reinstalled Advanced Launcher, and Netflix worked flawlessly.
sorry for bothering you.
Just want to say HUGE thank you for making this work!!!

Just one thing, I don't have sound from Netflix? Even overlaid on XBMC, I got nothing. I use audio over HDMI out on my nvidia card to my receiver. Have you come across that before?
Daemaz: Im not sure if this is what you are up against... but you might give this a try in section 1.3
it sounds like maybe its not sharing audio over HDMI... i think i read somewhere that HDMI standard doesnt like this... but give this a try, and see if get anywhere.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ON_-_Linux
section 1.3

asxavier:

Hi, I tried your solution, but got this message: "Script failed! addon.py"
I created a Launcher on Advanced Launcher as described here: "http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3", but I found the information that Advanced Launcher is for Eden only, on the addon screen.

This was actually incorporated into the addon

you are able to run it only with what you did?
I read through my log and got some lines pointing to an error on Advanced Launcher.
did you have any difficulties?

UPDATE: never mind, I figured it out. I was using the original addon, from XBMC repository. I just installed the Angelcry repository, reinstalled Advanced Launcher, and Netflix worked flawlessly.
sorry for bothering you.

The addon I put together isnt in a repositoy, but glad you got it working
fnc1 - thanks for the link, after some playing around with the .asoundrc I got it to work! Smile

Netflix is running choppy now after I created the .asoundrc, not sure if it's a coincidence or not. But I will take what I can get. Thanks again

And maybe I'm being stupid, but I can't figure out a keyboard shortcut to minimize XBMC? I have it running on top of the desktop.

edit: Appears that some of the choppiness is due to the .asoundrc file. If I rename or delete it the video plays a lot more smoothly (with no sound). With .asoundrc in place, the video is near unacceptable and the audio stutters.
(2013-02-16, 23:49)Daemaz Wrote: Just want to say HUGE thank you for making this work!!!

Just one thing, I don't have sound from Netflix? Even overlaid on XBMC, I got nothing. I use audio over HDMI out on my nvidia card to my receiver. Have you come across that before?

yes. i've come across a ton of issues doing external things with XBMCuntu. the openbox script is one ot the workaround hacks i've worked out.

thing is, it's a nice package to just do XBMC, but it stripped down to only do that and do that with as little extra functionality as possible while running.

consequently, it uses ALSA for sound, but does not have dmixing set up standard. so, your sound card can only accept data from one source.

when XBMC fires up, it locks down the sound device to itself and nothing else can connect to the sound device.
on an earlier install i hacked into the sound config files to change things to enable dmix in ALSA, and got it to work, but wiped out that set of files when i did a reinstall.

on the re-install ,i just bit the bullet and installed pulseaudio. i still need to edit ALSA to prevent it from trying to grab the sound card and preventing
pulseaudio from getting the sound device. right now, i have to fire up xbmcbuntu, ssh in, then exit and reloading to get sound working.

but it's a workaround for me. unless your sound card supports hardware mixing, you'll have issues with the standard ALSA config xbmcuntu ships with.
Daemaz: If your running xbmc from a regular linux install.. try exiting out of xbmc all together, (go down to the x in the lower left, and select exit)

then open a terminal session, and simply run:
netflix-desktop

with xbmc out of the way, it shouldnt be sharing the HDMI device and have full control (but you may have to play with asoundrc some o just delete it) so it may smooth things out..

I guess other options would be to output the audio via something other than hdmi / spdif perhaps or usb...
or try the launcher like asxavier (but i have no idea of his setup, or if he is passing audio over hdmi, but maybe the advanced launcher takes care of handling audio sharing by disabling it when xbmc doesnt have focusHuh) im not to sure.
fnc1 -

After changing my audio from "hdmi_shared" to "default" in XBMC, the audio is fine now, no stuttering. Only thing left is the video. It's bearable but far from smooth. I'll play with it some more and see if I can find anything to help it. I went in the nvidia X server settings and tried turning the quality down on everything and putting it in performance mode but it didn't really help.
...im not sure if i left it in there or not... but look in the addon folder and see if there is a run2.sh file... if so you can backup your run.sh, and replace it with the run2.sh file.. that one will create a log file in your ~ dir for netflix-desktop - and would be a good place to start

/home/<your username>/.xbmc/addons/script.netflix_install

contents of run2.sh should look like this:
#!/bin/bash
openbox & netflix-desktop --showdebug 2> ~/netflix-desktop.log "$1"
kill %1
(2013-02-17, 06:34)fnc1 Wrote: but i have no idea of his setup, or if he is passing audio over hdmi, but maybe the advanced launcher takes care of handling audio sharing by disabling it when xbmc doesnt have focusHuh) im not to sure.
Advanced Launcher do not have any control on audio setup (XBMC or system). It just starting a command line.
Hi,

I am kind of lost here.
I have followed all the instructions, I can get Netflix to work under the desktop but when I go in my video addons and try to launch the Netflix script, nothing happens.
I tried to go around that by creating a program launch : netflix opens but I am no control over this window.

I am not really sure where to look.
So, I got it installed and running on my Shuttle XS35GT (Atom D510, ION2 graphics, using "regular" Ubuntu 12.04), but the image is more like one frame per second, maybe less ... could it be that my machine doesn't have enough CPU to run Netflix through wine ? Is there anything I could do to improve the performance ?

I also got some error messages about Mono and something else while installing, can I safely ignore them ?
You have to install mono and the rest. Part of Netflix-desktop should ask you to install those when you start the first time.
I think some people are running this stuff out of order and the scripts dont get the execute bit marked. (guilty here). If clicking Netflix doesn't do anything this is the culprit and its an easy fix.

type 'sudo chmod +x /home/<USERNAME>/.xbmc/addons/script.netflix_install/run*.sh'

Unfortunately I have a different issue when I run openbox never comes to the foreground, I loose control on the XBMC interface and I can see the context menus (silverlight) if i right click.

Anyone have any ideas, I'd start messing with the config but I know I'm just going to break something else in the process.
Clad. That's odd that its not getting focus. You have a default install of the new mythbuntu?
(2013-02-23, 10:23)cladmonitor Wrote: I think some people are running this stuff out of order and the scripts dont get the execute bit marked. (guilty here). If clicking Netflix doesn't do anything this is the culprit and its an easy fix.

type 'sudo chmod +x /home/<USERNAME>/.xbmc/addons/script.netflix_install/run*.sh'

That worked for me, I can lunch netflix-desktop from XBMC. However the sound doesn't work. But it works fine in xbmcbuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOWTO: Install Netflix on xbmcbuntu 12.0 frodo addon4