Can't Add USB Media Source after Broadcom Mod
Ahh good. Okay DrGrafix, I think that using Cyberduck is a good idea. Put this same IP address and 'atv/atv' username and password into Cyberduck - this should connect you. You can hunt around for your xbmc logs on the file system now, and transfer them over to your mac. Hint: there are lots of tutorials around for accessing your xbmc.log. Nuggyblake is right too, you can rely on him for further help.

Cheers
Saddie
British Columbia
OK... Nigel's tip of using ATV/ATV as username and password "worked" and I got a connection. Hundreds of files, many directories (folders) but after an hour of opening every folder I still haven't seen:

$HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Are the log files normally hidden? And ATV/ATV also works in Filezilla. Don't know why everyone was saying "Root/Alpine" or "frontrow/frontrow" if those don't work.

Anyway, I am now pretty much convinced that this is a share issue and not a bad ATV or a bad install of XMBC or Crystalbuntu. If the ATV gets jammed and won't play a video prompting the pop-up stating "the video is no longer available" all I have to do is Stop/Restart SMBup. I left a message in the Apple forum where the guy who wrote SMBup is, maybe he'll give me some tips on why the "connection" is terminated and how to fix it.

I can't seem to be able to simply "browse" to the log files, so until I can actually get there, I can't provide any better information.

Mike
I had checked the ATV yesterday morning when I wrote the above post. The movies were playing just fine then without refreshing the SMB on the mac. Last night I powered it back on and it was working fine, watched a movie with no glitches. Powered off when I finished. This morning powered on again... still working fine. The only weird (?) thing is that in the past 30-odd hour since that refresh, under the Video where the tabs are... it just says "Files" and "Add-Ons" and doesn't include a "Library" or "Movies" tab? So when I click on the Files tab, it goes to the Media drive and lists all the material and its all fully scraped. Is that normal or should those other tabs be showing up?

Mike
Mike, sorry for the delay. The various passwords are for the original atv (frontrow...), ATV2 (root/alpine), and Cbuntu (atv....).

Log is http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file

Ive never had the need to post a log (too dumb to ask).

I think your issues are either a corrupt install of XBMC, or Mountain Lion hates you. I can help you with ML. Let me know what you need.

Nigel
Try here:

/root/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log.

Then paste into pastebin.com and post link back here

Cheers & good luck!
I wanted to wait a bit before I reported back LOL... right now the ATV is running OK. Still using the Crystalbuntu USB stick approach. Maybe once in a 90 minute movie I might spot a 1-second hiccup but its not annoying enough to really complain too loudly about. The one weird deal is that it seems that if I shut down the iMac and reboot, the SAMBA connection is lost. I'm using SMBup so I simply unlock and restart and movies play just fine. Two things I definitely want to try:

1. Build a new Openelec stick and see how it compares. Just more for curiosity than anything else and that would automatically (I think) update

2. Figure out how to do a test by putting a Movie Directory/Folder on my NAS drive. It's a WD My Book Live and I read in the WIKI that they work with XMBC. I'm just thinking maybe ethernet between the ATV and the NAS Source Drive is faster/smoother than streaming from a USB drive connected to a 7:1 Hub that's connected to the iMac thats connected to the Airport Extreme? Don't laugh. Its not funny... LOL.

And one more thing I _MUST_ learn how to do is actually save and post a log file.

One last comment for Nigel... when you say I might have a "corrupt install of XBMC" do you mean the initial XBMC installed with the patchstick, or the XBMC brought about by using the Crystalbuntu?

Mike

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Add USB Media Source after Broadcom Mod0