• 3(current)
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC
Looks like the MC001-XBMC-(EU) with TV tuner is sold out....
yes, but the one without tuner is actually 5€ cheaper... You can get a DVB-T tuner in chinese online stores for around that money, or you can purchase a DVB-T2 that some will find a better option, so it is not a big difference.
is it just me or does it seem like the HTPC market is thriving much more in Europe than in the US? There seems to be way more of these types of machines already available on the European market than in the US.
Does this hardware support DTS HD MA or TRUE HD?

So can you just get any USB TV tuner and it will work with OPENELEC or can you get internal one for this?
Where does Arctic ship from? Germany? It's relevant for me due to taxes and duties if they ship from outside EU.
Also which Frodo version exactly is on the unit? Since Openelec don't have Frodo Stable yet AFAIK, is it RC2 or something like that?
(2013-02-07, 22:40)djon Wrote: Where does Arctic ship from? Germany? It's relevant for me due to taxes and duties if they ship from outside EU.
Also which Frodo version exactly is on the unit? Since Openelec don't have Frodo Stable yet AFAIK, is it RC2 or something like that?
The barebones I ordered from Amazon.de shipped from Germany (DP Weltpaket) so no extra taxes to pay.

The EU versions of the Limited edition OpenElec version is advertised as including VAT and shipping.

According to the second post here from an OE developer OE3.0 should be available "within a week"
(2013-02-07, 19:54)AndoX Wrote: Does this hardware support DTS HD MA or TRUE HD?

I believe it does under Windows, but not under Linux, as it uses an ATI graphics chipset, and they don't have Linux support for HD audio currently?
Correct! DTS MA and Dolby True HD WON'T WORK under Openelec!! The linux drivers still don't support it, in fact, AMD HDMI audio under Linux is a huge dissapoinment, as it only supports 2 Channel audio! That means that bitstreaming regular DTS or Dolby works ok (they only use 2 real channels for their compressed 5.1 streams), but anything other that that won't!!! 5.1 LPCM is not supported and will be downsampled to 2 channel only. That means that, for example, playing a 5.1 flac file wouldn't be possible...

I think that XBMC can turn 5.1 LPCM into AC3 on-the-fly, but I doubt the CPU is powerful enough to do that..

IMHO, the perfect machine for running Openelec would be Nvidia based. Even so, this machine is quite nice and will fit a lot of people, however it would be fair to clearly state what it can and cannot do with Openelec.
(2013-02-06, 18:55)bluray Wrote: This is "Xtreamer Ultra2" is a better machine for Linux. It is better eqips/spec (GT520M, 32GB SSD, Bluetooth, etc) for Linux, and XBMC/Linux is pre-installed.....

Indeed it might be, but it would've cost me $617 here in New Zealand via their Australian online store. The MC001 cost me all up NZ$271. Guess which one is more appealing. For the bedroom, this will replace my Apple TV2 as I want LiveTV/PVR capability now that XBMC v12 is stable.
I bought the E and BR version. The BR version comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, 500GB 7200 rpm HDD, 4GB memory and Blu-Ray player. IMHO, for € 209,- the best buy you can (could) get. Got both of them in on last Fryday. The onboard IR receiver works great with an original MCE remote but a Logitech Harmony (200) will do the job also fine.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Has anyone worked out how to use WOL with this unit? Is it even possible? I can't see any option in the BIOS?

I know I can use an IR controller or a USB deice to take it out of standby but I have it mounted on the back of the TV and wanted to use the Android Yatse widget which works over LAN.
No need for WOL I think. With XBMC you could always wake a system when this was so configured in the XBMC client?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...ake_On_Lan

How did you mount this MCE001 on the back?
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Thanks! I've resisted playing around as it will all be undone when I install the specific openelec build in the (hopefully) next few days.

I just made some brackets and screwed them into the 200x200 VESA holes, I used some spacers so it doesn't conduct heat from the TV and a bit of shock cord to hold it in place.

It wouldn't fit on the shelves under my TV as it is quite tall, also keeping it out of sight removes the button pressing temptation that all toddlers have!
Well, my current Foxconn is also placed against the back of my TV but this MC001 is a bit larger and, indeed, cannot be placed directly against the back. I use a MCE IR receiver that can be placed anywhere but maybe the IR receiver in this MC001 is sensitive enough to catch the signal, even on the back of the TV. Will test that also.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC5