• 32(current)
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC
I had received my barebones mc001-n yesterday, and upon removing the aluminum cover to install the so-dim, I thought to myself, "how many doa units were from people who hadn't removed the plastic strips from the thermal compound pads before buttoning the box back up?"

My intent is to use the device solely as a media streamer. I don't intend on storing media on the device. I have it connected via ethernet.

At any rate, after spending an evening trying out streaming my various media rips (a vast majority are 1080p h264 [email protected] in mkv containers), I think the device is fantastic.

I had purchased a 1tb 2.5" sata drive for it, however I haven't installed it yet. I'm currently booting openelec with a class 4 sdcard and 4GB RAM. I am currently considering NOT installing the hard drive. As many people here have stated, 4GB RAM is vastly overkill for Openelec; 2GB would have been more than plenty.

Configuring my rc5 remote was a pain in the behind - I had to create a custom rc_keytable file and load it via the ~/.config/autostart.sh script. The ir receiver has a narrower 'window' where the remote needs to be pointed more in it's direction than I'd like.

So far, I'm very pleased with this device. The xbmc gui is very responsive. Shuffling around (fast forward, skip forward) while playing a video is very speedy (which I tend to do frequently - a guy can't watch his adult fantasy straight through Smile.
I doubt many people are buying this box that don't know what to do when they see those thermal tabs. Wink

but its a good point. They are on both sides of the box too. If you arent using the hard drive optical drive though, you can leave those with the film over them.

Great box, replacement arriving on the 11th, crossing fingers. 1 outta 5 isnt too bad i suppose.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
Got my MC001 replacement from amazon a few hours back. I plugged in a 2gb crucial stick from my laptop and powered it on. Voila I now see the arctic splash on my tv :Smile. I was able to install openelec and play around a little.

Thanks NC88KEYZ for your help.Smile

- VishnuG
Mine arrived today too. Had to run to doctor. Haircut lunch and clinique counter time with wife lol. Its sitting on table. Likely tomorrow for inspection.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
Hey guys just received my MC001-N and installed my SSD and RAM and I seem to be getting continuous 3 beeps.

Does that mean is a bad RAM? I got a Geil SO-DIMM DDR3 1333mhz 4gb stick.

I hope is not a DOA as returning it would be painful - went through my freight forwarder to get it shipped to Australia from Amazon Sad

And to make sure with the thermal pads we only need to remove that thin plastic film that protects them right?
(2013-04-10, 02:58)RaihaX Wrote: Hey guys just received my MC001-N and installed my SSD and RAM and I seem to be getting continuous 3 beeps.

Does that mean is a bad RAM? I got a Geil SO-DIMM DDR3 1333mhz 4gb stick.

I hope is not a DOA as returning it would be painful - went through my freight forwarder to get it shipped to Australia from Amazon :(

And to make sure with the thermal pads we only need to remove that thin plastic film that protects them right?

Probably ram issue

You are correct about the thermal pads ( remove only the thin film)
(2013-04-10, 06:18)solamnic Wrote: Probably ram issue

You are correct about the thermal pads ( remove only the thin film)

Well just bought a another stick of RAM (G.skill this time) hopefully this one will do the job Sad
Does this company not have a vendors list for RAM compatibility ?
(2013-04-10, 07:23)MediaPlayer Wrote: Does this company not have a vendors list for RAM compatibility ?

tried and true ram sticks listed here!
(2013-04-06, 16:34)nc88keyz Wrote: Since there is no top and bottom its up to interpretation, however if using optical ( wont do it anyways) I see your point. The silver half is where the memory and gpu if im correct, the black side is where the optical , hd caddy are.

Without the pedestal stand, you see ugly unfinished side. Its just a choice, works ok in this situation. If it were sitting stand along it wouldn't be there i suppose.

The bulk of the heatsink is on the RAM side of the motherboard so IF you want to risk using it horizontally, that side should be facing up.

The way you are running it will cause a hot pocket of air to build up around the ram, all the caps and all the other components on that side of the mobo.
(2013-04-09, 16:02)georgekans Wrote: The ir receiver has a narrower 'window' where the remote needs to be pointed more in it's direction than I'd like.

This. I bought a small USB IR remote from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BW5A6S/) to help with this but unfortunately it does not 'see' my existing TV remote like the built in IR does. I suppose I'll return this one if I can't get eventghost to work properly. Does anyone know of a USB IR receiver that works exactly like the built in IR? I believe the built in one identifies itself as an eHome receiver in Windows (and something else (CIR IR?).
ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2) in device-list (ITE Tech.Inc.)
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2013-04-10, 22:47)p750mmx Wrote: ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2) in device-list (ITE Tech.Inc.)

Yep, thanks. Couldn't remember off the top of my head. Now I just need this in USB form.

Better yet, has anyone cut the IR LED off and resoldered it to a different location so that it picks up better? I would imagine widening out the opening in the case for the IR and moving the LED forward a little bit would do the trick.
(2013-04-10, 22:27)smiley2billion Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 16:02)georgekans Wrote: The ir receiver has a narrower 'window' where the remote needs to be pointed more in it's direction than I'd like.

This. I bought a small USB IR remote from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BW5A6S/) to help with this but unfortunately it does not 'see' my existing TV remote like the built in IR does. I suppose I'll return this one if I can't get eventghost to work properly. Does anyone know of a USB IR receiver that works exactly like the built in IR? I believe the built in one identifies itself as an eHome receiver in Windows (and something else (CIR IR?).

this remote looks like Arctic MCR1 Remote, which was reallllllllllllllly crap Big Grin
(2013-04-10, 22:27)smiley2billion Wrote:

Flirc.tv.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC5