• 36(current)
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC
"Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks." looks OOS.
I still have a couple spare, brand new but I am located in Australia. PM if interested.
Hi all, running into a problem and was wondering if anybody has seen this before. Having a boot issue when the HDD is plugged in, but works fine when its not.

Running OpenElec
Hardware: Barebones MC001-N
Boot: 8gig USB Flash (plugged in rear port)
HD: Seagate 750gb HDD

I got the system booted off the USB stick with NO HDD mounted, looks great, boots fast. As soon as I insert my HDD the OpenElec does not boot, and responds with "Boot MGR Missing" or "Reboot and Select Proper Boot device".

First thing that came to mind is that the BIOS was trying to boot from the HDD rather then the USB thumb stick. So I disabled booting off any device in the BIOS except my proven working thumbstick. However I still get this error, like the boot selection in the BIOS is as dumb as a brick. I remove the HDD and it works again! Anyone know why? BIOS glitch? BIOS is up to date

Appreciate any response, thanks.
(2013-05-18, 18:50)jefari Wrote: Hi all, running into a problem and was wondering if anybody has seen this before. Having a boot issue when the HDD is plugged in, but works fine when its not.

Running OpenElec

I got the system booted off the USB stick with NO HDD mounted, looks great, boots fast. As soon as I insert my HDD the OpenElec does not boot, and responds with "Boot MGR Missing" or "Reboot and Select Proper Boot device".

First thing that came to mind is that the BIOS was trying to boot from the HDD rather then the USB thumb stick. So I disabled booting off any device in the BIOS except my proven working thumbstick. However I still get this error, like the boot selection in the BIOS is as dumb as a brick. I remove the HDD and it works again! Anyone know why? BIOS glitch? BIOS is up to date

FIXED - Just in case anyone ran into same problem

Symptoms: OpenElec would not boot on ARCTIC MC-001-N. Getting boot messages such as "BOOT MGR MISSING" and "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device".6

Cause: BIOS settings incorrect... go figure! The BIOS lists only 3 items: Removable Device, <My 750G HDD> and CDROM. It did not list my thumbstick which was NOT as "Removable Device". By listed as a HD. So in essence, removable device did NOT point to my bootable USB stick, which is where I got confused.

Fix: Went into HD settings in the BIOS and changed my bootable USB stick as #1 HD and my 750GB as HD #2, then on the Boot Device Priority list, my bootable USB drive was there and selectable as one of the 3 options: <USB thumb drive>, CD/ROM, or Removable Device.
(2013-05-18, 19:05)jefari Wrote:
(2013-05-18, 18:50)jefari Wrote: Hi all, running into a problem and was wondering if anybody has seen this before. Having a boot issue when the HDD is plugged in, but works fine when its not.

Running OpenElec

FIXED - Just in case anyone ran into same problem

Symptoms: OpenElec would not boot on ARCTIC MC-001-N. Getting boot messages such as "BOOT MGR MISSING" and "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device".6

Cause: BIOS settings incorrect... go figure! The BIOS lists only 3 items: Removable Device, <My 750G HDD> and CDROM. It did not list my thumbstick which was NOT as "Removable Device". By listed as a HD. So in essence, removable device did NOT point to my bootable USB stick, which is where I got confused.

Fix: Went into HD settings in the BIOS and changed my bootable USB stick as #1 HD and my 750GB as HD #2, then on the Boot Device Priority list, my bootable USB drive was there and selectable as one of the 3 options: <USB thumb drive>, CD/ROM, or Removable Device.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1354474 Wink
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2013-04-29, 10:31)teddy6565 Wrote:
(2013-04-29, 09:22)zzkazu Wrote: Question is what remote... read lots and lots was going for the Motorola nyxboard but not stock anywhere (I asked pulse-eight btw)...

A Logitech harmony works just fine, if you need anything more advanced I would just plug in a USB wireless keyboard.

I got a harmony but don't have the original arctic remote. Any idea what device I should be using to set up the harmony? I just started playing with a couple of the HTPCs and couldn't get it to work.
Can anyone help out?
(2013-05-24, 02:47)archangelz Wrote:
(2013-04-29, 10:31)teddy6565 Wrote:
(2013-04-29, 09:22)zzkazu Wrote: Question is what remote... read lots and lots was going for the Motorola nyxboard but not stock anywhere (I asked pulse-eight btw)...

A Logitech harmony works just fine, if you need anything more advanced I would just plug in a USB wireless keyboard.

I got a harmony but don't have the original arctic remote. Any idea what device I should be using to set up the harmony? I just started playing with a couple of the HTPCs and couldn't get it to work.
Can anyone help out?

I assume you mean for running xbmc. Yes just do a search on harmony setup for windows media centre, this will let you do most of controls, (up, down, select,etc( but would recommend you map the keyboard controls manually. Eg map 'send i' for the info button. From memory you also have to map 'back' and I map 'e' to TV guide button as I use live tv.
Wink 
Maybe this has been discussed and I may have overlooked the post after reading 54 pages Confused but has anyone been able to get the DVB TV tuner to work on this machine to work under Openelec 3.0.3?
If so, can u please enlighten me with your knowledge.Big Grin
Have you installed the specific Arctic Openelec build??
(2013-03-14, 14:38)talvins Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 21:56)talvins Wrote: I received my Artic XBMC with 1TB instead of 512GB.
Seems to work fine but I have two problems:
1/ there is a sound like a "tick", like a drop of water falls, every time the blue LED lights up (often)
2/ much more annoying, display suddenly becomes blue and pink on my Sony TV.
(2013-03-13, 22:30)solamnic Wrote: 1) you hear a sound every time the unit turns on, or is it something else
2) some users reported a problem with ati drivers (on windows) and suggested a rollback to v 12.10

I don't know if it's an ati drivers problem : it seems to be a HDMI output standard problem, especially with SonyTV. I've the problem under linux.

(2013-03-13, 23:21)calibos Wrote: The mobo speaker makes the tick sound afaik when you turn the unit on. However the bit about the blue led lighting up often sounds like you have it in suspend and not fully off. My blue led did slowly flash on/off when in suspend too, but it never made the sound every time it flashed. That only happened for power on.

Plug a keyboard into one of the back USB ports and press the DEL or F10 key during boot while the arctic splash screen appears to enter the bios. Go down to the peripheral bios option and select disable for the EUP option. Save and exit the bios. On/Off on the remote will now turn the unit fully off and will turn it back on from fully off. No flashing blue LED and hopefully no funny noises either.

RC5 (2.99.5) is out for everyone's information.

I've the "tick" sound when the unit is on ! It's not a quite regular sound. Slower than a disk activity, but very often anyway. I will look to the BIOS, but I'm afraid not to find anything helps.

Hi, Not sure if you have resolved your item 2, the switching/inverting colours on Sony TV but yes it does seem to be an HDMI handshaking problem which exists with some older Sony TVs and a large number of older Philips ones (like mine), and the ATI graphics. It has also been a problem for AppleTV users. My symptoms were that the TV connected via HDMI would seemingly randomly flip to inverted colours at varying times sometimes 30seconds sometimes 10 minutes or more, and it would then take various times to flip back. Other than the colour being inverted everything carried on performing as normal.
I found no problem with my LG TV and the ATI. I tried many things including forced cooling in case it was temperature related, was about to give up and stumbled upon the AppleTV forum problems which are extremely similar.
It is reckoned (from the AppleTV site) that this is some legacy handshaking issue on the HDMI which ATI (and Apple) have not been able to easily resolve (probably due to the sporadic nature). Anyway the way to resolve this in Windows 7 appears to be to set the Pixel Format in ATI Control Catalyst->My Flat Panel-> Pixel Format (bottom of properties list) and select RGB Studio (although I think RGB Standard seems fine aswell) and Apply.
Seems to be working ok for me, so hope it helps you.
Hi, has anyone mounted an HDD to replace the DVD player ?

I have the arctic running with a 60 gb SSD (with win 8) on it and i'm starting to have serious space issues on my SSD given 1080p movies. I was thinking on adding a >500gig more HDD to solve this. What do you think ?
Better to add an external Hard Drive (2,5 or 3,5 depending on your space needs) or, even better, a Small NAS...
how would you mount it ?
Why do you need it mounted?
i mean the external hard drive will be connected by USB ?

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-Extern...s=sata+3.5
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC5