Frodo: Set xbmc audio device to win 7 default playback device
Question 
Hello

Note: I know how to change the XBMC audio playback device from one device to another from system settings on XBMC home menu, that is not what I am asking.

I have a HTPC running XBMC Frodo. The HTPC is connected to a TV in one room and a monitor and speakers in my bedroom.

I often use XBMC in both rooms, starting in one and finishing in the other. For example I will stream a video in my TV room and get sleepy, and watch the rest as I fall asleep in bed watching it on my monitor and speakers.

To do this I would use an audio toggle program I have macrod to my wireless keyboard to switch my Win 7 default sound output device. I wouldnt even have to alt+tab or touch the XBMC settings when I switched rooms. Audio would transfer from my tv to my speakers or vice versa.

Now I find that XBMC Frodos audio output runs independent of my Win 7 default audio playback device. I have 4 choices in XBMC audio plackyback: direct sound tv, direct sound speakers, wasapi tv, wasapi speakers.

Now I have no problem with manually changing the audio source from the XBMC home menu, but as far as I can tell, the only way to get to the home menu is to close whatever program I am using and lose my connection and place on the video I am streaming.

I have checked the knowledge bank of advancedsettings.xml and can not seem to find a solution.

Is there an advancedsettings.xml setting that will set XBMC Frodo to only use Win 7 default playback device, or can I get to the home menu to change my audio settings without closing my program somehow?

Does anyone have a solution/suggestion?

Thank you for reading and for your help.
Check out profiles in the wiki and map a key to them.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thank you DDDamian

I will try this tonight and let you know if I was able to do it without messing up too much Wink
Is there a post limit before I can give reputation points? (hopefully 5 and this puts me there)
Gah! merging posts!

I will never hit 5
So I made two profiles
One named TV and one named PC.

I set the default audio ouput device on each of them (tv for TV and pc for PC). I did a few tests without leaving the default XBMC root menu (no programs running)

When I used the TV profile audio would play through the TV and under system settings it reported the TV as the audio output device. Just as I wanted.
However when I switched to the PC profile audio continued to play through the tv, but when I checked the system settings it reported the default audio output device as my pc...

I confirmed the settings in both guisettings.xml (confirmed as best I can that is)

The Audio Passthrough Device is greyed out (I can not change it from the systems settings menu). If that is of any importance.

PC Profile

Code:
<audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>DirectSound:{A615BB8C-499A-4669-8196-7862AA8B7BE0}</audiodevice>
<channels>1</channels>
<dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
<mode>0</mode>
<multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
<normalizelevels>true</normalizelevels>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughdevice>DirectSound:{60CF2B30-D06F-4B01-8A9F-082FA74B31C2}</passthroughdevice>
<stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
<truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
</audiooutput>

TV Profile

Code:
<audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>DirectSound:{60CF2B30-D06F-4B01-8A9F-082FA74B31C2}</audiodevice>
<channels>1</channels>
<dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
<mode>0</mode>
<multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
<normalizelevels>true</normalizelevels>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughdevice>DirectSound:{60CF2B30-D06F-4B01-8A9F-082FA74B31C2}</passthroughdevice>
<stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
<truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
</audiooutput>

Also I am unsure as to how to create a keybind to toggle between profiles, or even create two seperate keybinds, one for each profile. With that in mind I had to log out each time I wanted to switch profiles. The act of logging out would close whatever program I am running and return me to the XBMC root menu. And thus closing any streaming video I was watching.

As far as making a keybinding I know that I need to add some code to xbmc/user/keymaps/keyboard.xml, but not the command to enter.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <KEYBINDHERE> I do not know what to type <KEYBINDHERE>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Are you sure I can switch between profiles while inside of a program, without having to return to the XBMC root menu?
Passthrough will be greyed out if you have Analog set as the audio mode at the top of the Audio Output settings page - it basically means any encoded formats like AC3 or DTS will be decoded by XBMC - which is fine in this case.

Some of your audio settings are odd (for example the above shows TrueHD passthrough is enabled, which your TV will certainly not handle) - you may want to read the sticky thread on Frodo audio troubleshooting at the top of the Windows Support sub-forum.

For the quick-switch of profiles see here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61779

Good luck!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-02-08, 03:12)DDDamian Wrote: Passthrough will be greyed out if you have Analog set as the audio mode at the top of the Audio Output settings page - it basically means any encoded formats like AC3 or DTS will be decoded by XBMC - which is fine in this case.

Some of your audio settings are odd (for example the above shows TrueHD passthrough is enabled, which your TV will certainly not handle) - you may want to read the sticky thread on Frodo audio troubleshooting at the top of the Windows Support sub-forum.

For the quick-switch of profiles see here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61779

Good luck!

Thanks.

Reading the frodo audio sticky as i type this and have the profile keybinds figured (i think)

As far as the settings they are all default. Fresh install of win 7 and fresh install of xbmc frodo (installed both on saturday).

I will adjust them as outlined by the sticky

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo: Set xbmc audio device to win 7 default playback device0