Question about Comcast
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I've read that if I want to record Live TV and have Comcast cable, I need a cable card from Comcast. Is this still true? I'm interested in recording specific TV shows. I currently have Comcast cable. I use an HD box from them. Will I be able to run this through a tuner card and record live TV using the latest version of XBMC and the PVR add-on?
You will probably need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-InfiniTV-PCI...B003B4VLJQ or an HD Home Run

I doubt comcast has very man clearQAM channels you could pick up with a cheap tuner.
I currently have Comcast in Grand Rapids, MI. I can record using an older model HDHomeRun (ie. not Prime). The only channels that tune are the ClearQAM ones, which is good enough for my purposes.

By the way... I still do my recording thru Windows Media Center (WMC) and then watch them thru XBMC.
So it sounds like I will still need to use a Cablecard to accomplish my goal of recording live TV from Comcast?
I'm sorry... I don't think I was clear in my last post. I do not use any CableCards in my setup. I hooked up the HDHomerun to my cable and away I went.

(2013-02-06, 22:29)Lery Wrote: So it sounds like I will still need to use a Cablecard to accomplish my goal of recording live TV from Comcast?

(2013-02-06, 22:46)markjjordan Wrote: I'm sorry... I don't think I was clear in my last post. I do not use any CableCards in my setup. I hooked up the HDHomerun to my cable and away I went.

(2013-02-06, 22:29)Lery Wrote: So it sounds like I will still need to use a Cablecard to accomplish my goal of recording live TV from Comcast?

Do you still use your Comcast cablebox?
Wink 
It would depend on your market.. some markets Comcast keeps non-value channels (i.e: Basic/local) in ClearQAM.. which means no cablecard required.. In other markets, EVERYTHING is encrypted, so you have to use either a cablecard or their box.
I don't know about the Ceton cable card adapter, but if you use an HDHomeRun Prime with Comcast cable card, you can watch/record almost every Comcast channel. They're actually very nice about it. The only ones you can't use are the ones not marked "copy freely" which are like HBO, Showtime, etc.

Use HDHomeRun Prime and MythTV or ARGUS or Next PVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about Comcast0