Win Build Help
Wink 
Hey guys,
Thinking of setting up my own build. Could use some advice. Prices are from NewEgg.ca with tax incl.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX $57
SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $76
Case: APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply $45
Mobo: ASRock B75M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard $115
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220 $125.99
Fan: GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15 120mm Case cooler $7

Total cost: ~$560

Questions
-Is my CPU overkill?
-Case: I could swap in a bluray for the disk drive in this right?
-Remote control. I am reading the post on this and noticed the blackrock board you suggested has an IR Header. That's what i need right? What else do i need to control it? If i do nothing, does it simply mean i have to walk to the box to turn it on? That doesnt seem like the end of the world. On second thought, what will i need to control XBMC ?
Whether or not your CPU is overkill depends on what you want to do with it. If you're not viewing 3D, then you could step down to something like a G860. Otherwise, you need at least an i3.

The motherboard you've chosen might not support Ivy Bridge out of the box depending on the BIOS version installed. If the BIOS doesn't support it, you'd need to install a Sandy Bridge CPU first, update the BIOS and then put in the Ivy Bridge CPU.

The ASRock board has a CIR header so you can buy a CIR receiver and use the special header. It's an internal IR receiver so you'd need to expose it externally somehow but the MI-008 doesn't have an IR window. You could always just use an external USB IR receiver. There is a thread here somewhere about being able to turn on the PC using a USB dongle with the ASRock A75M-ITX motherboard so that might work if you got say the H77M-ITX or B75M-ITX motherboard.

For Windows, 64GB is better for the SSD. A 32GB formats to 29GB and Windows takes 20GB at first install and then starts to bloat unless you keep on it.
Thanks Dougie.
I'm not viewing 3d, for sure, but i want it to be able to handle large files in different formats etc...

So the G860 would be something like this right? It would be Sandy Bridge so no issues with BIOS compatibility right?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6819116405

I will look into it, it just seemed wiser to go with the newer Ivy Bridge for best performance.

I'll change the build to a 64GB SSD.

Not sure what to do about the receiver.
I will update the initial post.
The other mobo seems to suppotr Ivy Bridge, based on this
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=B75M-ITX
I'll make the switch.
Oh. Is the 2.5'' SSd the way to go?
(2013-02-08, 00:30)dio_free Wrote: Oh. Is the 2.5'' SSd the way to go?

Are your media files external, like on a NAS, server or external hard drive? I think it's the way to go and a nice thing about the Apex MI-008 is you could install a 3.5" HDD internally for your media and use the SSD for your OS/programs. There's plenty of room.
Thanks Dougie. So i could install the SSD inside.

For media i was thinking of just hooking up an external hard drive so that I can move stuff from my PC to the HTPC when i get new stuff.
The wife thinks that's too pricey. Damnit. Finally when you get something you are comfortable with.
(2013-02-08, 01:16)dio_free Wrote: The wife thinks that's too pricey. Damnit. Finally when you get something you are comfortable with.

I've built two HTPC's with that exact case. It is possible to have a BluRay drive, 3.5 HDD and 2.5 SSD inside with no issues. The SSD would sit under the HDD mount or veritcal on the side. Don't show the full price to the wife in the future :p
HTPC: ASRock B75M-ITX LGA | Intel i-3 3.3GHZ | 4GB | Samsung SSD + WD 2TB x2
So true.

I could run this with Linux instead right? I have heard a few people refer to a stripped down Ubuntu.

What would I be giving up if I went that route?
Everything "none-xbmc"
I'm running xbmcbuntu on my bedroom build and it works fine for just playing back from network or usb, but I wouldn't use it if you're planning to use the htpc for downloads.
The fun thing with xbmcbuntu is that it has almost no hw requirements Smile

You could go:
RAM: Any 2-4GB ddr 3 (preferably 1333MHz) $13
SSD: Any SSD (at least 16GB) $40
Case: APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply $45
Mobo: Any 1155 ITX $50
CPU: G540 $50
GPU: Nvidia GT 610 (fanless) $45
Total of $250

(all prices are from newegg.com, except the case and fan which are from your list)

(2013-02-08, 08:28)RaggSokk3n Wrote: You could go:
RAM: Any 2-4GB ddr 3 (preferably 1333MHz) $13
SSD: Any SSD (at least 16GB) $40
Mobo: Any 1155 ITX $50
CPU: G540 $50
GPU: Nvidia GT 610 (fanless) $45
Total of $250

Good build. I'd like to make it cheaper if you don't mind Smile

If you don't have the need for bitstreaming audio or top-end deinterlacing, you can skip the GT610 card since the Intel GPU is pretty well supported in Linux and OpenELEC (looked good to me anyway) and you can skip the SSD and get a mini 16GB USB stick and put that in a rear USB port. I know there are some user-supported OpenELEC builds to support DTS/Dolby D for Intel so while it's a little more work it is possible.

I've used the ECS $50 mini-ITX H61 motherboard for three builds now and it's a really (suprisingly) good motherboard for a minimal build.

I wouldn't go too much cheaper though because the value for the money stops being there.

Whoa. Thanks guys.

Questions:
1) I thought the SSD needed to be 64GB? Are we talking about just leaving that out for now and using a regular HDD for the OS, to save money?
2) I dont know what bitstreaming is. Can you clarify? Also I don't know about top end deinterlacing, that would be for very high quality, highly compressed video files right? I -might- need that, not sure.

3) How would a build like this compare to the PIVOS Xios for XBMC purposes? What would the pros and cons be?

Thanks so much to you both Smile
(2013-02-08, 17:59)dio_free Wrote: 1) I thought the SSD needed to be 64GB? Are we talking about just leaving that out for now and using a regular HDD for the OS, to save money?

For Windows, you'd want that. You can definitely also just run Windows off the HDD. For OpenELEC/Linux though you can run those from a USB stick. I run OpenELEC on one of these: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Fla...B005FYNSZA ($12)

(2013-02-08, 17:59)dio_free Wrote: 2) I dont know what bitstreaming is. Can you clarify? Also I don't know about top end deinterlacing, that would be for very high quality, highly compressed video files right? I -might- need that, not sure.

High-definition audio formats sent to your receiver for decoding (Dolby True-HD, DTS Master-Audio) that are usually contained on blu-ray disks. The audio is sent over HDMI. If you're just hooking your HTPC to your TV and using stereo then it doesn't matter. If you want Dolby Digital/DTS it's possible too on an Intel GPU with OpenELEC, it's just a little more work from what I've read (I have not done it but others here have -- my OpenELEC HTPC is hooked to a stereo TV). Deinterlacing is important if you have 1080i or SD formatted video. The Intel GPU is ok but not as good as a discrete card would be.

(2013-02-08, 17:59)dio_free Wrote: 3) How would a build like this compare to the PIVOS Xios for XBMC purposes? What would the pros and cons be?

I'll leave that for someone with Pivos experience to comment other than to say you definitely get more CPU/GPU horsepower and the ability to run Windows later if you decide.
If you want an Ivybridge CPU for your Ivybridge motherboard and dont need 3D support then there is the G2120 and G2020 Pentium versions. You can also save money by ditching the SSD and booting off the HDD.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Okay, I like the USB idea! Blush

Thanks Dougie for answering my questions! I do not have a receiver and dont plan on one for some time. I share a wall with my neighbours (who are picky) so there's no point to that right now.

In terms of the GPU I am still not sure. Sounds like I should go for the discrete card ... I will run a variety of media ranging between SD and HD 1080p stuff, though no 3D. I don't see a fanless option at NewEgg.ca, would one with a fan be too big? Not knowing, i just chose a low profile.

New Preliminary Build with Canadian prices:

RAM $25 Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996586
CASE $45 APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
MOBO $60 ECS H61H2-I3 (v1.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
CPU $50 G540
FAN $7 GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15 120mm Case cooler
GPU $40 SPARKLE 700009 GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
USB $8 ADATA Classic Series C008 16GB Retractable USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model AC008-16G-RKD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build Help0